Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the $1200 check giveaway by the government
Yes 179 63.93%
No 101 36.07%
Voters: 280. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2020, 03:44 PM

8,241 posts, read 3,495,089 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
This morning, or maybe yesterday afternoon, I had to explain to someone else in this forum that there's money for virtually all small businesses. My friend, who also owns his own business, didn't know that he was eligible, either.

Most small businesses ( < 500 employees ) will qualify for 2.5x their average monthly payroll. If they use the money for payroll & other necessary expenses, and don't lay anyone off, or rehire them when this is over if they do, they don't have to pay it back. That's going to save a LOT of small businesses from going under, and keep a LOT of people employed through this.

And the anti-Trump folks call it a "corporate giveaway."
This will be great if people know about it and use it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 03:51 PM

24,636 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Yes I support it. If companies are going to get bailed out, I’d like some “free” money too. Even if it’s a refundable tax credit, many folks out there will find it useful.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:10 PM

4,299 posts, read 2,811,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AfriqueNY View Post
The whole point of the "STIM" checks are for you to spend it on something other than bills. New pocketbook or TV or something. Boost the economy. That's why those who are still working and making money will still get the checks. Like Bush said "GO SHOPPING". I'm going to buy car parts.
Is that why it is kind of a small amount? What if you need less stuff? The only thing I've spent money on besides the necessities (food fuel and cat litter) lately is a Netflix subscription. My phone is trying to tell me I need a new phone but I refuse to get one so I'm going to hang onto it as long as I can. If they want me to spend they should either give me more money or help me find a way to get a significant amount of money because I need a lot more than that to move cross country and eventually purchase a house down there.
If they need me to do their job for them well then they're going to have to wait until a miracle happens and have to deal with the fact I'm planning on saving every penny I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
People who make over $99,000 in affected areas deserve it more than unemployed people or minimum wage workers in unaffected places. Just because someone makes more money, if they lost income because of the government's actions they're still entitled to reimbursement. That's like I damage someone's car in an accident but because they're rich I don't have to pay for it.

No. If all things were equal then maybe you'd be right. You're basically saying that the pandemic is the only way a person loses money but there are probably countless workers out there that are entitled to reimbursement and it never happened no thanks to the government.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:32 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
The one time payment of 1200 was a joke. The bailout to corporations was what this was about.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:37 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,760,060 times
I'll take it and believe it when I see it in my bank account.

They give so much to kill around the world, why not give to we who are alive.

Old 04-02-2020, 06:47 PM

25,738 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenPineTree View Post
The one time payment of 1200 was a joke. The bailout to corporations was what this was about.
For every $1 that goes to citizens, $4 goes elsewhere. Think about that.

After the next round, that ratio will worsen.

This is the top 1% crushing the rest of us, and them throwing some crumbs out to divert attention.

You keep allowing it to happen. Why?

This message was approved by the Save the 99% coaliton

Old 04-02-2020, 06:50 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Appears Andrew Yang was correct

Old 04-03-2020, 03:52 AM

1,485 posts, read 954,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkstar71 View Post
My car needs new tires.

Some of it will be going into politicians pockets anyway by way of that sales tax.
Also, I attempted to court 2 females 3 years ago when I just got out of a relationship and didn't know diddley squat about dating. I often wished I had all the money back I spent on all those dates I didn't get laid on...
Looks like it'll happen... on the 9th now instead of the 17th.

Thank you uncle Donald!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies