Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 06:37 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,978,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Isn't that better than quarantining EVERYBODY, regardless of whether they have an underlying condition at all? Right now we have states putting everyone in lockdown - like 40 or 50 million in California alone. That's about 15% of the population right there! And more states are starting to do it. By next week at this time, we could have 100 million people ordered to shelter-in-place. Why not just focus on those who are old and/or have other conditions? Why lock up a third of the population, and tell the ENTIRE population not to work, thereby destroying businesses, jobs, and bringing about widespread poverty?
Quarantines only work if everyone is quarantined. They have rules that nobody can visit nursing homes (even family) in order to protect the most vulnerable. Unfortunately, staff must be allowed. Therefore, spreading the virus.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:37 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Isn't that better than quarantining EVERYBODY, regardless of whether they have an underlying condition at all? Right now we have states putting everyone in lockdown - like 40 or 50 million in California alone. That's about 15% of the population right there! And more states are starting to do it. By next week at this time, we could have 100 million people ordered to shelter-in-place. Why not just focus on those who are old and/or have other conditions? Why lock up a third of the population, and tell the ENTIRE population not to work, thereby destroying businesses, jobs, and bringing about widespread poverty?
Not "everybody" is being quarantined right now. You can go to a grocery store, the drug store, and many other businesses. Many are shut down, some are not.

I'd guesstimate that, here in the KC area, probably 70% of the population is in some sort of hunkering down mode. But that includes a lot of people (such as myself) who are working from home and thus aren't really "hunkering down." So the reality is probably more like 50%.

But guess what? If you quarantined everyone in the KC area who had some underlying health issue, you'd probably quarantine 50% of the population anyway.

So either 50% of the population is being quarantined/hunkering down as in current conditions ... or 50% of the population would be quarantined/hunkering down under your proposal.

In both scenarios the economy crashes the same amount.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:38 PM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
I'm thinking through this, but to me these are the key things that the government and every industry available needs to be tasked with:

1) production of N95 masks for all medical personnel AND THE GENERAL POPULATION to use in any crowded public place
2) production of testing kits so that every person in the country can test themselves
3) production of ventilators so that numbers are in the 100's of thousands to deal with spikes in people needing critical care
4) massive expansion of hospital space to accomodate the sick

This "Marshall Plan" of sorts should have a 2 to 3 months max window...where nothing else is a priority. These increase will enable all healthy people to go back to work, for businesses to start back up. If the hospital system has the capacity to care for sick people, keep the staff healthy, etc, we can get through this. Right now I get what they are trying to do...flatten the curve to stop the healthcare infrastructure from being overcome. They are right to do this. But long term, this is not the solution.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:38 PM

19,387 posts, read 6,502,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
So what do we do with those people that live with someone in the “target group” ?
You mean like grandparents living with their adult children? Unfortunately, they would have to be placed in senior facilities for the next few months. Not ideal separating them, but it's sure preferable than having the entire nation go into hiding, see businesses destroyed, millions of jobs lost, and poverty jump significantly.

Sad for Grandma, but lives would be protected, and the economy would not be destroyed. You're not honestly saying that you would prefer to ruin the economy, destroy people's life savings, have millions lose their jobs, bring about massive poverty (that comes with its own health problems), just because it would be "nicer" to keep multi-generational families together for the next few months?

Old 03-21-2020, 06:39 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post

In both scenarios the economy crashes the same amount.

LOL... Lefties clearly have their eyes on the prize

Old 03-21-2020, 06:40 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Look, I hear you. I have elderly parents, elderly and unhealthy in laws, elderly and sick neighbors. I don't want them to catch this and die suffering. It's a real, dangerous disease.

But 18 months until a vaccine....you think we will get through the summer without serious civil unrest in major cities? You think teenagers in housing projects in NYC, Chicago, etc are going to stay inside all day and night? What happens if one city runs short on food? Shutting the economy down to the point of a contraction far beyond that of the great depression is a very serious thing not to be spoken about in platitudes only. Someone needs to do actual cost benefit analysis of A) shutting down the economy and causing a severe depression. b) isolating only those at high risk while providing services they need after, say, building up the hospital capacity to deal with this situation on a long term basis.

And god help us if this becomes a seasonal thing.
You raise compelling and valid questions and issues.

Re the bolded, I don't know, dman72.

But, we can sure try. The alternative is not an option, to me. In my way of thinking, we have to try anything we reasonably can to protect the lives of others. When and if it becomes a "it's-them-or-us" mindset, THAT"S when I will worry.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times
Quote:
I'm thinking through this, but to me these are the key things that the government and every industry available needs to be tasked with:

1) production of N95 masks for all medical personnel AND THE GENERAL POPULATION to use in any crowded public place
2) production of testing kits so that every person in the country can test themselves
3) production of ventilators so that numbers are in the 100's of thousands to deal with spikes in people needing critical care
4) massive expansion of hospital space to accomodate the sick

How do you produce more n95 masks, test kits, ventilators, and the many other things needed, by shutting down the economy? The lefties desired plan does nothing to help the production side of our economy. It actually harms it. These items were in short supply before states were contemplating a lockdown. So what do you think is going to happen when they start shutting everything down?

Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Look, I hear you. I have elderly parents, elderly and unhealthy in laws, elderly and sick neighbors. I don't want them to catch this and die suffering. It's a real, dangerous disease.

But 18 months until a vaccine....you think we will get through the summer without serious civil unrest in major cities? You think teenagers in housing projects in NYC, Chicago, etc are going to stay inside all day and night? What happens if one city runs short on food? Shutting the economy down to the point of a contraction far beyond that of the great depression is a very serious thing not to be spoken about in platitudes only. Someone needs to do actual cost benefit analysis of A) shutting down the economy and causing a severe depression. b) isolating only those at high risk while providing services they need after, say, building up the hospital capacity to deal with this situation on a long term basis.

And god help us if this becomes a seasonal thing.

Wait until groups of thugs start breaking into houses when they realize most of the cops are in quarantine. And the population realize the lockdown orders are a hollow threat since they are releasing non-violent offenders from prisons to ease overcrowding and a lockdown violator is a non-violent offender.

Old 03-21-2020, 06:42 PM

20,872 posts, read 9,532,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
How do you produce more n95 masks, test kits, ventilators, and the many other things needed, by shutting down the economy? The lefties desired plan does nothing to help the production side of our economy. It actually harms it.
Have you gone to the grocery store lately?

Old 03-21-2020, 06:43 PM

6,343 posts, read 2,897,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Tons of people are maxed out on debt. They cannot even withstand a slight drop in business activity or income..
Whose fault is that? You're saying that innocent people should die because irresponsible people go into debt and don't have the recommended 1 year's worth of savings?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies