Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-21-2020, 07:55 PM

6,294 posts, read 2,855,026 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
The alternative is going to happen, and there's no way around it. People aren't going to sit in their houses all day, many (including me, probably) trying to scrape by on unemployment, indefinitely. Something's going to snap. And a lot of people aren't even going to consider this self-quarantine thing. With warm weather coming the streets of the Bronx, of the South Side of Chicago, etc., etc. will be teeming with mobs of people, the same as they always are. We're just going to have to bite the bullet on this thing.
When they see pics of US hospital that look like the Italian ones they probably will.

Italy's hospitals overwhelmed by coronavirus
https://www.cbsnews.com/video/italys...th-toll-soars/

Old 03-21-2020, 07:56 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
When they see pics of US hospital that look like the Italian ones they probably will.

So lockdowns and shutting down the economy doesn't work after all

But we still get to keep our 20% unemployment, great depression and 401Ks that are worth half what they were a year ago, etc?

Old 03-21-2020, 07:58 PM

7,179 posts, read 4,747,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
This is about politics.

One of the reasons the media is trying to freak people out is in hopes of Trump losing in November.
A deadly virus is about politics? Wow why do epidemiologists go to school then? Hmm

Old 03-21-2020, 08:00 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Are you guestimating or do you have data? What percentage go on respirators and survive? Talking strictly about COVID-19.
I'd think that a reasonable estimate could be made if you look at the number of cases that got deemed critical. So = dead / (people that were labeled critical), won't be perfect but should get you in the neighborhood as intubation isn't something they do lightly.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:01 PM

29,702 posts, read 24,784,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
A deadly virus is about politics? Wow why do epidemiologists go to school then? Hmm

Of course it's not about politics. But when a virus that kills 1% of those infected is used to tear down the economy and alter the way of life for the masses, people should take notice and ask questions.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:01 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,378,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Sigh. I never said that. I said that people who are old and/or have underlying conditions are the ones who are dying, and thus THEY should be the ones quarantined. Then the working population, except for those who have an underlying condition, could continue to work, and our economy would not be destroyed.

Why not take more of this common-sense approach? Protect those in the vulnerable group, and let those not in the vulnerable group be able to continue with their jobs, and their ordinary lives. If you feel so strongly that NOBODY should die (or we should make the attempt that NOBODY should die), then why aren't you suggesting that we crash the economy every winter when the regular flu strikes?

Surely, you and others making this argument can't be this out of touch with reality. It's like you only see one narrow black and white path to a solution without considering any other variables. Are you honestly advocating that more people should get infected?! Because that's where your "common sense" approach is leading. Even if you're not elderly, and have an underlying health issue, you still get sick from the virus!! It's been reported that 1/5th of those who were infected ages 20-44 have been hospitalized. Not even counting the elderly, that's enough to overwhelm the healthcare system of any city. In your "common sense" approach where ppl simply ignore this, society could completely unravel. Economies don't exist without actual healthy people functioning in them. Your approach would cause absolutely chaos and dig a hole we could never get out from under.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:05 PM

5,088 posts, read 2,298,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post

I'd bet Italy's main problem is that its population is old as hell.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:10 PM

7,179 posts, read 4,747,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo58 View Post
I'm not even going to respond to your starting argument, that 2 million Americans dying is no biggie - even though that is more than all the Americans who have died in all the wars in our history added together.

The biggest BS in your post is "the media is mind-controlling the entire nation". I don't even watch the media! They are not controlling me. When the NBA and NCAA canceled all sports, it wasn't the media telling them to do it. When my employer decided that everyone should work from home for a while, it was a corporate decision, not the media. The media didn't cause all schools to shut down. The media didn't cause 5000 people to die in Italy.

What is with this idiotic obsession with the media?!?
Trump lashes out at the media so they feel they have to do the same. Human parrots

Old 03-21-2020, 08:11 PM

78,016 posts, read 60,232,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDnurse View Post
Agreed.

While some people are politicizing the matter, the stark reality is that all we have to do is look over at countries like Italy that have done a horrible job on the matter and watch the death toll ratchet up.

I consider Italy to be nearly a lost cause at this point because they must have a fairly high multiplier of unreported cases for their deaths to be so high. Their almost 50k cases is probably a lot closer to 250k at this point.

Unless something drastic occurs, we're looking at maybe 1/3 of Italy getting this and if 5% of them die that's 1.2million dead.

The numbers out of SK indicate that you can clamp down the blow-up in a few weeks if people hunker down.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...y/south-korea/

The US is only about 1 week into it's "blow up" in cases so hopefully the numbers by the end of the month start showing that they're tailing off.

P.S. By blow up, I mean where the number of cases on the curve takes a steep uphill surge.

Old 03-21-2020, 08:12 PM

2,400 posts, read 751,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
This isn't an attempt. This is hurting all the people so that the most sick and infirm can live slightly longer. It is immoral and based on a childish sense of right and wrong.
Until it mutates again and puts everyone danger.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.