Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 04:56 PM

18,443 posts, read 9,071,528 times

Advertisements

We’re shutting down the economy so that we don’t overwhelm the hospitals. The Coronavirus has a 20% hospitalization rate. And the average hospital stay is twice as long as the flu.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:58 PM

19,394 posts, read 6,450,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mephariel View Post
Because people are ignoring the lock down rules? The argument is that Italy should lock people down MORE, not less.
A few things with Italy:

1) Like all of Europe, there are a lot more smokers - hence a lot more lung-related damage.
2) The age skews upwards in Italy, the oldest in the entire continent.
3) I haven't heard this one reported, but Europeans get into your personal space (from American standards) when speaking. The virus would spread much more easily from that alone.
4) The mayor of Florence instituted a "hug-a-Chinese" when China was experiencing the worst of it to show they weren't racist. (A liberal, obviously).

Old 03-21-2020, 04:58 PM

15,676 posts, read 6,386,515 times
Pearl Harbor: 2,400 died, Dec. 7, 1941. The US proceeded to spend $4 trillion (in adjusted US dollars) turning the nation into a wartime economy to defeat Japan. That's a lot of money to spend over a few dead Americans. Now some people are whining about the impact on the economy because only 2-4 million Americans may die. My how times have changed.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:59 PM

7,211 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
We’re shutting down the economy so that we don’t overwhelm the hospitals. The Coronavirus has a 20% hospitalization rate. And the average hospital stay is twice as long as the flu.
And here we go again with this argument. Doesn't seem to be working in Italy. But again... shutting down society so the hospitals won't get overwhelmed will only save a small amount of people. Not enough to justify the damage done to the economy and all the other people living in the world.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:02 PM

29,666 posts, read 24,710,327 times
Quote:
I love how you completely ignore my argument. Again, how many cases do you think Italy would have now if a lock down wasn't put in place?

Human life has very little value over in China. And yet...they still locked down the entire province of Wuhan.

We value human life far more. What do you think we should do?
They locked down many cities once they realized the world is going to blame them for letting this virus loose, after first lying about it and denying it's existence.

All the worst case projections indicate 50% of the population will get the virus, no matter what is done. Germany says 70%. England pretty much says everyone is going to get it and their plan is to let people get it and develop immunity.

Lockdowns will not stop that from happening, if the disease is in fact that contagious. People still have to go shopping for food. People are still going to be mingling. The disease will continue to spread. The only advantage a lockdown offers is it may slow the progression, allowing the hospitals to keep up. When all is said and done, we will see if 20% unemployment and our GDP declining double digest every quarter are worth it.

Poverty kills. It looks like we are going to be reminded of that soon enough. Strange that the left would want these lockdowns when it creates poverty, something they claim they are against.

Quote:
Again, I don't know how dumb you are.

When you can't argue your point effectively, attack the individual. That means you have exhausted your argument and have nothing more of worth to contribute to the discussion.

Quote:
Again, imagine if you are a leader of Italy and you are this stupid. "Don't have a lock downs. Thousands are dying anyway. Let's just spread the virus some more."

Hate to have to inform you of the fact, but those European leaders are saying half or more of their population is going to get it, even with lockdowns in place.

So again, is 20% unemployment and crashing economies around the world worth slowing down, but not stopping the spread of the virus that kills around 1% of those infected, and mostly old people who have already lived out their lives? All while knowing that poverty kills and reduces live expectancy?

Last edited by andywire; 03-21-2020 at 05:10 PM..

Old 03-21-2020, 05:03 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,964,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
There is no way to check any of that...

Cause I am a super duper doctor at an 1 zillion level trauma center and we have a zillion beds available every single day.

If you truly are a medical worker more evidence that they are just as hysterical and if not more and want money money money and hero worship -- that I am getting sick of.
Well I personally am friends with 2 DR's that work at NY Pres Columbia/Cornell and 3 that work at other NYC area hospitals. I trust what they say. Not some posters who believe the media is making this virus up to take Trump out.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:06 PM

12,075 posts, read 9,129,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Pearl Harbor: 2,400 died, Dec. 7, 1941. The US proceeded to spend $4 trillion (in adjusted US dollars) turning the nation into a wartime economy to defeat Japan. That's a lot of money to spend over a few dead Americans. Now some people are whining about the impact on the economy because only 2-4 million Americans may die. My how times have changed.
That's Trumplicans for you. Trump uber alles.

7,211 posts, read 4,488,200 times
Starting to think there are Russian trolls on this site trying to stir up trouble.

Real Americans like me are getting sick of it and likely won't put up with it much longer.

14,267 posts, read 6,892,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
If you don't have an underlying condition, you're pretty much safe. Italy came out with a report that of the deaths, 99.2% had at least one serious medical condition. The real fear is that you can pass it someone who is in a vulnerable group.

That said, I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to quarantine everyone who is over 65 and/or has a serious underlying condition (and those two factors would overlap, since older people tend to have medical conditions) and let the working-age population continue to go to work and spend money. The vulnerable group would be protected, and the economy wouldn't be in a downspin.
Have you researched how many Americans have underlying conditions?

3,841 posts, read 1,964,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
And here we go again with this argument. Doesn't seem to be working in Italy. But again... shutting down society so the hospitals won't get overwhelmed will only save a small amount of people. Not enough to justify the damage done to the economy and all the other people living in the world.
20% of the people infected need to be hospitalized. I think I read that 20% of those 20% were of the ages 20-40 here in NY. Is that a small amount of people to save? If you were one of those 20% would you sacrifice your life as to not overwhelm the hospitals?

Last edited by lisanicole1; 03-21-2020 at 05:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.