Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you like to be downsized?
Yes! Make me tiny! 1 2.70%
No way, I don't want to be cat food. 29 78.38%
Maybe, depends what I get out of it. 4 10.81%
I'm already tiny. 3 8.11%
Voters: 37. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 09:14 PM

6,693 posts, read 5,923,002 times

Advertisements

3 years ago, the movie Downsizing, starring Matt Damon, came out.

The movie flopped, but it did pose an interesting question: suppose someone developed the technology to shrink humans to 4 inches tall, with the goal of reducing their carbon footprint while enabling them to live like kings. Would anyone go for it?

In the movie, Damon plays a call center guy who's dissatisfied with his life, and decides to sign up for downsizing. His wife initially goes along with the idea, but backs out at the last minute, leaving him alone and 4" tall.

I know what I would do -- laugh the salesman out of the house. You gotta be kidding me! You shrink down to 4" tall and you become prey for almost every animal on earth. The cat will toy with you, then kill you. The dog will grab you, shake you in its mouth and crush you. A spider will cocoon you and inject you with its eggs. You'd be a target for birds of prey. Even a frog would eat you. And think what a bee or mosquito would do to you. Yeesh.

As for carbon footprint, the earth can certainly accommodate 7 or 8 billion humans if we can rein in our appetite for fossil fuels. Which we are doing. Ten years from now, we'll mostly have electric cars on the road, at the rate things are going. They're cheaper, more reliable, and simpler. Once batteries can get you 500 miles on a charge, they'll take over.

Trucking and ocean shipping will take longer, but it will happen. Even air travel will eventually use electric motors. Solar is spreading to every rooftop, and factories are learning to control their particulates. Eventually we'll live in a very environmentally friendly world.

Old 03-22-2020, 07:51 AM

283 posts, read 369,778 times
Oh, THAT four inches.

Nope for that one, either.

Old 03-22-2020, 08:14 AM

102,185 posts, read 107,790,902 times
4 inches? Oh, I thought you meant my profile pic, or thumbnail logo for online forums...

The new thing with some Millennials is "minimalism". That's a type of downsizing. Taking up less space, having only a minimal amount of stuff, a super-basic wardrobe, etc. Seems practical, given the high price of rentals in some urban areas these days.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:46 PM

1,137 posts, read 447,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
3 years ago, the movie Downsizing, starring Matt Damon, came out.

The movie flopped, but it did pose an interesting question: suppose someone developed the technology to shrink humans to 4 inches tall, with the goal of reducing their carbon footprint while enabling them to live like kings. Would anyone go for it?

In the movie, Damon plays a call center guy who's dissatisfied with his life, and decides to sign up for downsizing. His wife initially goes along with the idea, but backs out at the last minute, leaving him alone and 4" tall.

I know what I would do -- laugh the salesman out of the house. You gotta be kidding me! You shrink down to 4" tall and you become prey for almost every animal on earth. The cat will toy with you, then kill you. The dog will grab you, shake you in its mouth and crush you. A spider will cocoon you and inject you with its eggs. You'd be a target for birds of prey. Even a frog would eat you. And think what a bee or mosquito would do to you. Yeesh.

As for carbon footprint, the earth can certainly accommodate 7 or 8 billion humans if we can rein in our appetite for fossil fuels. Which we are doing. Ten years from now, we'll mostly have electric cars on the road, at the rate things are going. They're cheaper, more reliable, and simpler. Once batteries can get you 500 miles on a charge, they'll take over.

Trucking and ocean shipping will take longer, but it will happen. Even air travel will eventually use electric motors. Solar is spreading to every rooftop, and factories are learning to control their particulates. Eventually we'll live in a very environmentally friendly world.
Why in the world would we want to downsize just to have more people? How could 4" people exist on earth? This is a silly premise and no wonder a movie based on it flopped.

So my answer is no.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:16 AM

3,727 posts, read 2,551,518 times
Hells no, I don't wanna be a Lego figure..

Old 03-23-2020, 12:20 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,823,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwocmo View Post
Oh, THAT four inches.

Nope for that one, either.
I immediately thought the same thing. Hell no!
I might be willing to downsize to 8 inches though.

Old 03-23-2020, 01:06 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
I immediately thought the same thing. Hell no!
I might be willing to downsize to 8 inches though.
You spelled grow incorrectly!

Last edited by USMC1984; 03-23-2020 at 01:22 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 07:00 PM

1,199 posts, read 659,450 times
All I can imagine are giant ants and spiders coming after me and trampling my home.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:38 AM

2,104 posts, read 3,008,476 times
Social distancing and staying home is really starting to affect some folks. OP you need a hobby...

Old 03-25-2020, 07:46 AM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
I generally don't measure my waistline, but some pants that were too tight fit now. I may eventually lose four inches of waistline. Age and injuries may take some inches off my height. I probably have lost a fraction of an inch already. My father lost 3 inches, maybe more, after a crash.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies