Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 11:47 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times

Advertisements

Do people in the rural Midwest flee every time there’s a devastating tornado?

Probably not. Here’s what I know for certain: no one in NYC cares that some random dude on the internet doesn’t like big cities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 11:50 AM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
Do people in the rural Midwest flee every time there’s a devastating tornado?

Probably not. Here’s what I know for certain: no one in NYC cares that some random dude on the internet doesn’t like big cities.
Well, good! You keep the cities. They're yours.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:57 AM

7,235 posts, read 7,034,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vkhmini View Post
Well, good! You keep the cities. They're yours.
Wow, thank you. Very kind and generous of you to give me the cities.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:12 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,486,926 times
If all of those city folks descended on rural areas, just what would they do for any substantial employment? Most manufacturing operations are done in the inner-ring suburbs of major metro areas.

Those one-stoplight towns that have a Burger King on one end of Main St and a Denny's (for fine, upscale dining) on the other end, aren't going to be supporting many service workers.

High tech in these little towns, consists of a pimply, teen-aged nerd working in the back room of a Ma & Pa Computer store, adding 4GB memory modules to Grandma's and Uncle Joe's 3 year old Walmart-purchased HP laptop. Don't give up your $150K Microsoft programmer job for this!

There is no compelling reason for any kind of mass movement of city folks to rural areas.

Old 03-22-2020, 12:14 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
If all of those city folks descended on rural areas, just what would they do for any substantial employment? Most manufacturing operations are done in the inner-ring suburbs of major metro areas.

Those one-stoplight towns that have a Burger King on one end of Main St and a Denny's (for fine, upscale dining) on the other end, aren't going to be supporting many service workers.

High tech in these little towns, consists of a pimply, teen aged nerd working in the back room of a Ma & Pa Computer store, adding 4GB memory modules to Grandma's and Uncle Joe's 3 year old Walmart-purchased HP laptop. Don't give up your $150K Microsoft programmer job for this!

There is no compelling reason for any kind of mass movement of city folks to rural areas.
“How are we gonna accommodate all these people?”

“I got it! Lets build structures close together and house many of them. We’ll call it a cit... aww crap... “

Old 03-22-2020, 05:18 PM

1,663 posts, read 875,254 times
I hope not. City people who come to rural areas or small towns have a habit of trying to change things to make them like the place they left. They can be entertaining though, I had a neighbor once who figured that since his riding mower blows grass clippings out the side, it would blow snow the same way. FYI, no, this does not work.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:26 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,542,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dozerbear View Post
I hope not. City people who come to rural areas or small towns have a habit of trying to change things to make them like the place they left. They can be entertaining though, I had a neighbor once who figured that since his riding mower blows grass clippings out the side, it would blow snow the same way. FYI, no, this does not work.

lol!

Old 03-22-2020, 05:29 PM

35,667 posts, read 21,030,020 times
Cities will always be cities. From the beginning of time - won’t change

Old 03-22-2020, 05:31 PM

3,811 posts, read 4,688,884 times
Will some people move yet? Yes I'm sure. They will look at how this virus has turned there life upside down & they can not afford to live there anymore. They will realize that the idea of living in NYC and feeling proud because you live there is not worth it anymore versus the costs.

But on a large scale I kind of doubt it. It's more like a wake up call to some that were already thinking of moving because of the high living costs.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:33 PM

3,307 posts, read 1,217,021 times
I hope that people don't move out to the country side and smaller towns en masse. However, I hope employers realize that a lot of people don't need to physically be in an office and this would give people more flexibility in choosing a place to live. This would also clear up the roads for people like me who have to physically be at our job sites. I hope more employers start to think about giving their employees the opportunity to remote work if it can be done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies