Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2020, 11:06 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,962,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
I'm amazed at the amount of so called "Free People" so dependent on Government, when it has been the Government that created the crisis.
I'm from the government, here to help..... The 7 scariest words you will ever hear
Since Trump created this crisis by covering up the severity of COVID-19 and dismantling the Pandemic Reponse Team, government should clean up their mess. Makes sense to me.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:07 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
What I have a problem with is that the Democrats, as they typically do, have added completely unrelated pork to this package. Their wish list includes things like new collective bargaining powers for unions, higher fuel emissions standards for airlines, and expanded wind and solar tax credits that have nothing to do with the crisis at hand.

None of this should be allowed. While Pelosi & Schumer play games, the people and businesses that really need assistance hold their breaths waiting for some help. WTH is wrong with these people anyway? They always, without fail, put their agenda above everything else.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:08 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
Nancy Pelosi is super rich because of politics, the same for Reverend Al, the Clintons (how's the Clinton Foundation doing NOW?), Pocahontas, the Obamas,, ALL DEMOCRATS!! Trump is a non-politician, and DESPITE all the flak and crap he gets on EVERYTHNG he does, he's not in it for the money! I don't like his personality, but I truly appreciate what's he's doing for our country, including for blacks. He doesn't need all these headaches, but he cares! Four More Years!!! Trump 2020
Doing for our country?

He jumped on a train moving along -- he didn't crash the train but he didn't speed it up at all -- all the gains were cumulative over 10 years and he was there for three of them.

Sheesh people are naive.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:09 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,904,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
I do not understand the question.

Additionally I do not accept your characterization of corporate "welfare", especially under these conditions.

The term welfare typically applies to those individuals who cannot fend for themsleves, but is only suppose to last for brief periods of time.
Instead it has become a generational crutch for many who now feel entitled to be parasites off of fellow hard working Americans.

Money given to certain businesses to compensate (say farmers) for a trade war with a communist nation like China that has unfair trade practices is understandable and not indefinate. I do not call that welfare, but maybe you do.

If so, did you feel the money Obama gave to the auto industry was welfare?

`
You ever wonder if Obama got a cut from that plane load of cash that went to "death to America" Iran??

Old 03-23-2020, 11:09 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,752,854 times
Lol, we are getting a rare insight into these reptiles that represent us with the dems trying to push aspects of the green new deal through and the repubs who want the lions share to go to big corporations.

My apologies to reptiles for the comparison.....

Old 03-23-2020, 11:13 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Why won't Apple need a bailout? I'll tell you why. They put aside money for a rainy day. It always rains.

Apple hasn't put any more or less money aside than any other big corporate monolith. You really thing the airlines are broke because people haven't flown in three weeks? They will ALL belly up to the feeding trough and take whatever is slopped out to them and none of them NEED it. Nor will any of them do the right thing with it. The money will go straight to where money that these concerns make always goes. Offshore tax havens and investor portfolios.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:28 AM

25,737 posts, read 12,815,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
If companies had been paying workers more, then people wouldn’t be living paycheck to paycheck the way that they are now, thus leaving them as vulnerable as they are when all of a sudden that paycheck disappears.
Many of these workers were/are just spending too much. If you make $60k/yr, you cannot afford a new iphone, cable tv with every channel, a new car, or that $4 Starbucks drink.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:35 AM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro5 View Post
None of this should be allowed. While Pelosi & Schumer play games, the people and businesses that really need assistance hold their breaths waiting for some help. WTH is wrong with these people anyway? They always, without fail, put their agenda above everything else.
Agendas? An agenda is why there was no organized response to this crisis despite weeks of heads up. Everyday since the first alarms were shouted has been occupied with unloading stock and buying up Zoom and Charmin futures. You will live or die on your own recognizance. No one is going to save you. If social distancing really worked Trump could declare martial law and have the streets cleared for as long as it took.

But if he did that he would be taking responsibility. Instead we are given the (non) choice of following suggested guidelines for self and public protection without any enforcement. I see empty streets, empty stores, empty parks and beaches and still the numbers of sick and dying keeps climbing. And it will. This thing was never going to be controlled by last ditch efforts at controlling disease spread.

There are going to be more people dying of a whole lot of things, mainly starvation, over the next year after the outbreak than will die during the outbreak. And needlessly, because the wealthy in this country have TRILLIONS that they are sitting on and they could, if they wanted to, continue to pay the salaries of everyone affected by the closures and lay-offs and whatever for as long as it took to get back to normal. Instead, they were issuing lay-off and furlough notices before there was any drop in gross receipts.

But they won't. That's fine. When have they ever done anything other than take. But trying to wrestle half a trillion more on top of already generous bailout provisions is just nasty. It should be resisted.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:38 AM

4,662 posts, read 1,952,568 times
Stupid mistake, they should have passed it and did a little speech that they disapproved of the way monies are being set aside for big business and then later use it agains the Republicans if those businesses missed that money. instead the dems look like the baddies here.

Old 03-23-2020, 11:41 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Since Trump created this crisis by covering up the severity of COVID-19 and dismantling the Pandemic Reponse Team, government should clean up their mess. Makes sense to me.
Nothing says covering-up severity, like closing off China & Europe, while consolidating resources for better response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies