Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 08:31 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,115,507 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krichton View Post
But if they use that bailout money to do stock buybacks and give out bonuses to all their executives, that money will trickle down to that family of 4 in this crisis!! hahahaha

A billionaire didn't build the rows and rows of small stores and restaurants in my city.
Infact he’d love to put one store that would give all the things those other stores sell but cheaper. Then bail on the town and let it die a slow death...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2020, 08:44 PM

3,674 posts, read 3,035,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roboteer View Post
Right as usual, little fibber.

--------------------------------------------

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...er-aid-to-asia

Jack Ma Sending Masks and Other Aid to Asia, Latin America

by Vlad Savov
March 20, 2020, 10:25 PM PDT Updated on March 22, 2020, 6:28 AM PDT

Jack Ma [founder of Chinese company Alibaba], Asia’s richest man, pledged 1.8 million face masks and 210,000 coronavirus test kits to some of the continent’s poorest nations, the latest step from his foundation to push back against what’s become a global pandemic.

Ma also promised to ship 2 million masks, 400,000 test kits and other aid to 24 Latin American countries. “We will hurry,” he said in a tweet.

The Alibaba Group Holding Ltd. co-founder took to Twitter for the first time on Monday to announce that the Jack Ma Foundation and Alibaba Foundation were sending a donation of emergency supplies to the U.S. Having previously aided virus-fighting efforts in Japan, Iran and Italy, his philanthropic groups also sent thousands of testing kits and masks to countries in Africa.

On Saturday, Ma said that Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, Laos, the Maldives, Mongolia, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka would all receive protective suits, ventilators and thermometers. On Sunday, he said 104 ventilators will be sent to Latin America, helping efforts in countries like Brazil, Cuba, Ecuador and Peru.

ONE billionaire did it. Wow great for Mr Ma. So how does ONE doing it equaling even half of them helping out like Mr Ma did?? Cmon, Roboflop!! Even for you, this is not a good look!!

Old 03-22-2020, 08:57 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
So how does this guy keep making the money oh, he picks money off the money tree? Well yea, if investing instead of spending he grew his own money tree. So what did you do to grow your wealth? When will people understand that b*tching, moaning, crying isn't going to make you rich.

If you think being so angry is going to get you anywhere in life you are mistaken, it's your life you are wasting because you are slugging that heavy chip around on your shoulder, no one else's.
Funny...I stop by this forum like once every two years and still see you here every time bitching and moaning about liberals and poor people. Looks like I might not be the angry one.

Here's a fun fact for you. Even though I'm laid off for a while and my wife lost her job completely over this, I am not worried at all. I have several years of savings available immediately, and two years of health insurance paid up. I've lost six figures of investments in the last few weeks, and it doesn't affect me. I'm doing just fine and not angry about my position in life at all. And all this while having a career that I love, is fun, and doesn't require me to even dress nicely, much less suck up to some corporate boss teet. So, now that we've cleared that part up...

That does not mean I can't look at the extreme income difference in this country and see how just a couple of weeks of lost income is destroying so many businesses and families. An economy so fragile and leveraged that just a couple of weeks of income loss is enough to crash everything. So much for that "best ever economy" that your savior talks about.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:36 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,565,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Funny...I stop by this forum like once every two years and still see you here every time bitching and moaning about liberals and poor people. Looks like I might not be the angry one.

Here's a fun fact for you. Even though I'm laid off for a while and my wife lost her job completely over this, I am not worried at all. I have several years of savings available immediately, and two years of health insurance paid up. I've lost six figures of investments in the last few weeks, and it doesn't affect me. I'm doing just fine and not angry about my position in life at all. And all this while having a career that I love, is fun, and doesn't require me to even dress nicely, much less suck up to some corporate boss teet. So, now that we've cleared that part up...

That does not mean I can't look at the extreme income difference in this country and see how just a couple of weeks of lost income is destroying so many businesses and families. An economy so fragile and leveraged that just a couple of weeks of income loss is enough to crash everything. So much for that "best ever economy" that your savior talks about.
Best ever economy does NOT prevent people from over leveraging!

Old 03-22-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
But if they use that bailout money to do stock buybacks and give out bonuses to all their executives, that money will trickle down to that family of 4 in this crisis!! hahahaha

A billionaire didn't build the rows and rows of small stores and restaurants in my city.
They sure as hell did. It was their idea, their investment and all the risks are theirs.

Old 03-22-2020, 09:42 PM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Meanwhile, the CEOs of Amazon, McDonald's, Starbucks etc. can't even give their workers PTO if they get sick while the CEOs all get to telework from home in their mansions.
Yeah, that's the cost of your $1 burger and $5 toaster. Don't patronize these companies then complain about how the executives manage the company. These workers are more than welcomes to quit and pursue careers that have more benefits, it's called freedom.

Last edited by Rocko20; 03-22-2020 at 09:51 PM..

Old 03-23-2020, 04:02 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
They sure as hell did. It was their idea, their investment and all the risks are theirs.
I wasn't aware billionaires were opening small women's clothing shops, little muffin cafes and asian restaurants, duly noted! LOL

Old 03-23-2020, 06:45 AM

Quote:
I wasn't aware billionaires were opening small women's clothing shops, little muffin cafes and asian restaurants, duly noted! LOL
Whose money are these small businesses using? Who shoulders most of the risks if the businesses fail?

Old 03-23-2020, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Duh, of course!

Where do you think the money will go? Into a vault or under the mattress? The money is used for investment and payment of goods and services, both go into the hands of your family of 4.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:03 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fibonacci View Post
Built on the backs of labor.

Bezos should work for one week in the warehouse if he thinks it is so safe and the risk of transmission is so low. Only a coward hides in their 5th mansion while telling everyone else to get to work in the warehouse for $12/hr. I can guarantee you Amazon will still exist if Bezos takes a one week hiatus while Amazon would implode if they had no one working in the warehouse just for a single day.

Is Bezos or anyone else forcing those people to work for $12.00/hr?

When you make 1¢ more than minimum wage, you are negotiating for your wages just like everyone else has to do.

Don't want to work for $12.00/hr?

Don't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies