Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 12:34 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Then they are doing what they feel is right.

Quite different to knowing you have broken the law.
Yea, they felt right stealing about $1000 in clothes because "they did not have the money", yea, true story I was part of, happened at a Macy's.

They felt right to rip apart a person's fence, causing thousands in damage, because "they did not like it because it blocked their view". Yea, another story I was part of.

They felt it was right to start ramming someone's car in a parking lot because "they stole my parking space", yea, another story I got to be a witness to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 12:37 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Yea, they felt right stealing about $1000 in clothes because "they did not have the money", yea, true story I was part of, happened at a Macy's.

They felt right to rip apart a person's fence, causing thousands in damage, because "they did not like it because it blocked their view". Yea, another story I was part of.

They felt it was right to start ramming someone's car in a parking lot because "they stole my parking space", yea, another story I got to be a witness to.
I would expect feeling right to be pretty much universal - i doubt there would be many that didn't feel as though they were in the wrong for those actions

Old 03-23-2020, 12:45 PM

7,723 posts, read 12,614,165 times
At this point, it's a mental illness. You would think after countless negative interactions with the police, you would learn to follow proper protocol and stop resisting arrest so you can stay alive.

Old 03-23-2020, 12:56 PM

22,216 posts, read 21,655,217 times
^^^^ Sounds like a good reason to resist arrest, if the police will potentially murder you

Old 03-23-2020, 03:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
^^^^ Sounds like a good reason to resist arrest, if the police will potentially murder you
Might as well take a few of them to the other side with you.

Old 03-23-2020, 06:19 PM

16 posts, read 4,052 times
They did warn him that they would mace him should he resist arrest. Also, the before/after of what was not shown in the video aside, these cops were not especially aggressive with the kid. Heck, they showed restraint (in my eyes).

Old 03-23-2020, 06:20 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art....html#comments

In the spirit of posting non-coronavirus related stuff, I decided to post the above.

Acknowledging that the entire story has to be investigated, but from the video alone, I have to be on the side of the police here, at least from the use of force angle. From the looks of the video, they tried to gently handcuff the student, but the student clearly resisted. Appropriate force was, thus, necessary to make the student comply.

We can quibble about whether the student should have been arrested to begin with, but given the officers' initial gentle attempt to arrest the student, something tells me that they gave the student multiple opportunities to deescalate the situation, but that the student wouldn't listen. These cops don't seem like the hot head type. But, again, we'll see what a full investigation uncovers.
since our schools have been shut down for 10 days, how old is this, and why would one need to find it in the DAily Mail and not some local news source?

Old 03-23-2020, 06:29 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
here's the local story
https://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...01d9f4dca.html

I wonder why the filmer keeps saying "take your hands off his neck"....when they're not holding him by the neck.

and sadly thankfully, the main officer is black.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:19 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
since our schools have been shut down for 10 days, how old is this, and why would one need to find it in the DAily Mail and not some local news source?
Its from March 18. Schools may have been closed for class that long ago, but students were moving out after that.

Its like my cousin's school. I moved him out of the dorm on Sunday (the last day to do so), though the school was officially closed for two weeks.

Its in local news: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/ne...241338746.html

I don't know why its not being covered more locally, but its definitely been picked up nationally and internationally.

I'll say that the Daily Mail often provides me with more insight into American happenings than local media does.

Old 03-23-2020, 09:21 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
here's the local story
https://www.journalnow.com/news/loca...01d9f4dca.html

I wonder why the filmer keeps saying "take your hands off his neck"....when they're not holding him by the neck.

and sadly thankfully, the main officer is black.
I suspect this is the reason why the story isn't bigger news than it is. Why the Sharpton types haven't descended on North Carolina, even with the coronovarius going around.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies