Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 01:11 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeutralParty View Post
An honest question for City-Data Trump supporters: Based on the factual information below that shows the United States is on pace to have the highest number of coronavirus cases on planet earth, do you still believe that Easter, Trump's proposed deadline for reopening the economy, is a good idea?
Oh. he was only joking!

Oh, he doesn't mean it...he's just setting a goal so we can work harder!

Oh, I never bought that we could do that, but I like the things he says. He looks good up there.

Oh, but the Wall.

Considering that over 70% of Americans support a lockdown (and higher of older folks, who most CD Trump supporters would be), it stands to reason that we already have the answer. They don't believe Trump.

But that doesn't matter. They still support him. Big Difference.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:15 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
An honest question for City-Data Trump supporters: Based on the factual information below that shows the United States is on pace to have the highest number of coronavirus cases on planet earth, do you still believe that Easter, Trump's proposed deadline for reopening the economy, is a good idea?

https://twitter.com/markmackinnon/st...98008170938369
probably not. but I wouldn't want any deadline put on anything without the scientific knowledge. If you told me "NC has to shelter in place for 3 months because our best information says that's how long it will take for the virus to run its course in NC, and moreso for us to treat the ill." I'd be mad but do it.

But - and feel free to call it selfishly - I don't want to shelter in place for a month because NYC is ground zero and woefully behind the curve, and we haven't shut the whole damn city down.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:15 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
Quote:

https://twitter.com/markmackinnon/st...98008170938369
Well, I am wondering what he means by reopening, all the decisions are at state and local levels, the federal gov has not done much of anything in regards to closing things. I guess the biggest thing is having federal employees telework, which I think it would not be a good decision to have now everyone go back to the office and resume as normal.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:17 PM

25,118 posts, read 16,198,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
If you extrapolate that shouldn't be too hard.

One single University (UW) can easily do 3,000 tests a day.

Surely we have at least 100 Universities or labs that are equiv? Probably more.

Even using that back of envelope number, it would be 300,000 tests a day or 2 Million in a week. That is quite low considering that we have vastly more than 100 type of setups (uest diagnostics, etc. etc. etc.).

Basically it's like asking how many packages the post office, UPS, Amazon and Fed. Express can deliver daily - many millions upon millions in the USA, right?

So if they decide to help with the Logistics (and/or there are at-home tests with results...which are in production already), the sky in the limit. 10 million would be done in a week.

I see no need to think about 100 million at this point but once you get to 5 or 10 million you are well on the way.

Meanwhile, we have less than 20K in Florida - what one lab in Washington State could do in a week.

Remember the rant "developers developers developers" (S. Ballmer).......well, this is logistics, logistics, logistics. If the Federal Government had wanted, a month back, there to be 2 million tests distributed by now...there would be. Only their reliance on "faith" of corporations and others instead of actual Bull by the Horns has stopped that from happening.

No Corporate Board Room is responsible for Public Health. They are responsible to shareholders. Even in WWII Henry Ford (at times) completely refused to make war toys and had to be coerced in multiple ways by FDR and Crew...personal visits and pushing.

That is what, IMHO, should have happened...or be happening. It's not. Not even now. We are now relying on the Grace of Strangers (donations from Bayer, hopes, etc.).
so the tests are already out there, waiting in warehouses?

Old 03-25-2020, 01:19 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,407,433 times
I find it rather funny and sad that the US has among the highest cost of healthcare in the world, yet this so far is all they can muster as a response to a pandemic, and that many hospitals before this were already operating at near capacity.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Who is they?
Posters here and other forums as well as commentators on news articles posted online over the past couple of weeks.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
I'd say Politicians are the #1 cause...because if one believes the statements of the POTUS and VP made over and over and over again "anyone who wants to be tested can be". This is now - what - more than 2 weeks after that statement was made the first time? And then it was confirmed over and over. I heard it with my own ears direct from the Task Force.

It was later clarified - but no one listens to clarifications from interviews

"Mr. Trump used “shorthand” to make that point, Mr. Azar said.
What he meant to say is we’re not in the way of that,” Mr. Azar said"

When the #1 Leader on this and the entire Force repeat many times MILLIONS of tests.....going out...being shipped right now, people believe it. Even pundits and the press. Why shouldn't they?

They Azar says, basically "What we really said is that if others choose to make and distribute tests WE won't get in their way".

I mean...what do you call that? A Lie? A criminal lie? A misunderstanding?

Trust, in any organization, comes from the top. Either you can believe what is coming out of the committee or you cannot.

Many of us have now learned that we cannot believe it...

We don't even know that testing is ramping up to the MILLIONS claimed many weeks back. In fact, most data shows it is not. 15,000 tests done in Florida to date - on a population of 22 million plus 4-6 million coming thought (tourists, cruise ship disembarks, etc.).

Even a 1% testing rate sample would be 270,000 or so tests. It seems logical that these amounts of test would be available to respond to a pandemic. That would mean 3.3 Million for the entire country, LESS than was claimed to be shipped weeks ago.
Here is the issue with clarifications in news stories, often times people read things the first time before changes and clarifications are made. And I'm not even talking about people doing it for bias, just general public. If they hear Trump say "I want the period over for Easter" they hear that we should be back to normal Easter Sunday and not that that is a goal. IMHO that is only a goal for church. Which I have driven by my local church and mass is still a mass gathering.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:36 PM

25,947 posts, read 24,731,689 times
I think it might be useful to reserve, say, 5% of test kits for weekly testing a representative number of citizens selected per random generator. This might tell us something about how widely the virus is already spread.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:51 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
they hear that we should be back to normal Easter Sunday and not that that is a goal. IMHO that is only a goal for church. Which I have driven by my local church and mass is still a mass gathering.
What is your point? Church is perhaps the most dangerous of places - people speaking out loud with open mouths, seniors, fragile, often hugging or shaking hands......

Why would we make a "goal" for perhaps the very LAST things that could go back to normal in such a crisis? How can this even be a goal when we are not testing?

I don't understand at all what thought process you are trying to illustrate? Could you elaborate?

Isn't the point that Officials should speak the exact truth as opposed to misleading tens of millions and then clarifying in some print article that no one ever sees?

Which do you think more people follow? This is Reality TV Nation, not "reading fine point" nation.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:54 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
What is your point? Church is perhaps the most dangerous of places - people speaking out loud with open mouths, seniors, fragile, often hugging or shaking hands......

Why would we make a "goal" for perhaps the very LAST things that could go back to normal in such a crisis? How can this even be a goal when we are not testing?

I don't understand at all what thought process you are trying to illustrate? Could you elaborate?

Isn't the point that Officials should speak the exact truth as opposed to misleading tens of millions and then clarifying in some print article that no one ever sees?

Which do you think more people follow? This is Reality TV Nation, not "reading fine point" nation.
My point is that it is stupid to go back like I have said in many posts. I hear the NHL might continue the season in July, as much as I love hockey, I don't think I'll watch it in person.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies