Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2020, 07:48 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Warnings from all serious international organizations were there by mid-January. To deaf ears. No, its not true that we did not have any information at that point. Two whole months went by. Italy probably has had corona virus since mid-December. You simply are trying to get Trump off the hook and point to China. China indeed acted slowly, but really went on lockdown after one and a half months. And so far it seems to have been working. Trump has been dragging his feet for two whole months and now wants to open up everything by Easter. Come on.

No, you "come on"

I'm not trying to let anyone off the hook.

Trump stopped flights from coming in from China and those with TDS accused him of being racist. I bet that you were one of them who did that, correct?

You are trying desperately to defend China and are making excuses for how they handled it. And, yes, the entire world should "point to China" as the virus started there and they weren't honest about the magnitude of it all.

Besides, right now each state has made their own decisions as to how to handle this. Some are doing a lot. Others are dragging their feet. How do you propose getting everybody on the same page? Do tell us all, armchair quarterback.

You are refusing to answer this question --- The minute you heard about the virus in China, did you immediately lock yourself inside your own home?

Old 03-25-2020, 07:53 PM

22,471 posts, read 11,995,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
Spring Break in Florida was in March
Carnival in New Orleans was in March
All the Americans rushing back to the USA with no quarantine was March
Subway trains still running in NYC March

March 25, 2020 Much of the US is still not locked down and the spreading continues unabated in areas.

On February 4 when I booked my flight to Malaysia I knew full well I might get stranded there in a lock down. For over a month the US did basically nothing to stop the spread and everything that helped guarantee the deaths of many people.
As I pointed out in the response above, states have had a variety of responses. Some have been very lax while others have been proactive. How do you propose to get everybody on the same page?

As for trains --- even DC is running Metro on a limited schedule. Did it ever occur to you that essential personnel need a way to get to work? Are you willing to volunteer your time and your vehicle to transport essential workers.

You booked a flight to Malaysia knowing full well what would happen. That's on you and no one else.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,799,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
That's just bizarre. What version of reality were you living in at the time? The USA was 100% all-in Impeachment at that time, so most people in the USA weren't paying any attention. I was, but most weren't. China was actively shutting everybody up who tried to leak information about coronavirus out to the rest of the world. What do you suppose happened to Li Wenliang and why was the Chinese government so keen to shut him up? For those who regularly watch China, most will agree that the CCP killed him. A whole lot of other people tried to get the information out were disappeared. China has its own isolated state controlled social media, including WeChat. For the entire month of December and January, the Chinese government was actively deleting and suppressing all mention of the Coronavirus, dismissing it as a conspiracy theory. The videos they leaked have largely been disappeared from the Internet.

Sadly, the news media seems to be in the pocket of the Chinese Communist Party. They tend to do as they're told when it comes to China. Google, YouTube and Facebook actively suppressed the very mention of Coronavirus, and largely still are. There has been a concerted effort in China and the USA to make belief this disease never existed in the first place, and China was doing it first.
Gee the news media I see sure seem to be non-stop news with a panel of experts that know what they are talking about. I am a subscriber to the New York Times, however, their non-stop news articles on Covid 19 are available to everyone. Many of the links I place here are links to well researched articles that are free for everyone to read.

What news media are you watching? Perhaps I can guess.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:02 PM

8,726 posts, read 7,412,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
This crisis has taught me how worthless our government is. It's like the botched Katrina response but 100s of times worse. After witnessing this crisis, if you think the US government is capable of saving you from anything, you're a complete fool.
Not just the government, many people.

Zero regard for any guidelines, governments had to keep tightening the rules because people kept flaunting any little hole in them. If everyone possible just stayed their asses home for two weeks, might of mitigated this a hell of a lot better. Instead, we have idiots knowing they are positive out and about, people purposely getting together to "show the gov" that they can do it out of spite, etc, etc. Oh yea, the many who have zero care old people and those with medical conditions die, they actually think it is for the best, call them the "non producers". Imagine being 80 years old, worked your whole life paying into the system, possible Vietnam or some other conflict, civic duties, etc, now you got a bunch of idiots thinking you should die already, and think it is tasking to sit at home for two weeks.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
As I pointed out in the response above, states have had a variety of responses. Some have been very lax while others have been proactive. How do you propose to get everybody on the same page?

As for trains --- even DC is running Metro on a limited schedule. Did it ever occur to you that essential personnel need a way to get to work? Are you willing to volunteer your time and your vehicle to transport essential workers.

You booked a flight to Malaysia knowing full well what would happen. That's on you and no one else.
Do you really think it is great idea for these essential people to be riding trains and subways, getting infected along the way, and then taking the virus back home to their families? Or worse yet, they become infected and then carry the virus to other essential workers?

There shouldn't be any traffic on the roads other than food delivery so why don't they take their cars?

Don't have a car? Then rent one. There should be tons of rented cars because there are no tourists.

Can't rent a car? Well there should be tons of vacant hotel space because their should be no tourists. Why aren't they staying in a nearby hotel?

Do you think it is cheaper for essential workers to get the virus and go to the hospital or stay home...or is it cheaper to rent them a car or put them in a hotel close to work?

Some people just make excuses as to why they are spreading the virus to others.

Now about the guy who said he had to leave the house to buy beer....well...good thing he also said to get a script.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:18 PM

9,254 posts, read 3,585,801 times
Quote:
Do you really think it is great idea for these essential people to be riding trains and subways, getting infected along the way, and then taking the virus back home to their families? Or worse yet, they become infected and then carry the virus to other essential workers?

There shouldn't be any traffic on the roads other than food delivery so why don't they take their cars?

Don't have a car? Then rent one. There should be tons of rented cars because there are no tourists.

Can't rent a car? Well there should be tons of vacant hotel space because their should be no tourists. Why aren't they staying in a nearby hotel?

Do you think it is cheaper for essential workers to get the virus and go to the hospital or stay home...or is it cheaper to rent them a car or put them in a hotel close to work?

Some people just make excuses as to why they are spreading the virus to others.

Now about the guy who said he had to leave the house to buy beer....well...good thing he also said to get a script.
Who is staffing the hotel? Who is handing the rental car keys to the nurse? How do those people get to work? Does the hotel staff rent a car too or do they just sleep there? So now you need multiple rental car locations open to staff the hotel in which the hospital staff sleep. Do they get food? Who is working in the grocery and how do those people get there? You can see where this is going, presumably.

When it comes to mass transit, “simply shut it down” is a simplistic but poorly thought-through answer in a situation like this.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:20 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Not sure if it's the right thread to mention it. Kathy Griffin is hospitalized and said then she have coronavirus and wants a test.
https://news.yahoo.com/kathy-griffin...213541975.html

Old 03-25-2020, 08:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,216,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Not just the government, many people.

Zero regard for any guidelines, governments had to keep tightening the rules because people kept flaunting any little hole in them. If everyone possible just stayed their asses home for two weeks, might of mitigated this a hell of a lot better.

It seems that every single person here on C-D fall into two groups - those staying at home or those with an "essential" need to go out. It's always "those other people" who are doing the wrong things.

And btw you are wasting your time preaching about it because it is called human nature, and you aren't going to ever change it.

Besides, millions of people don't have the ability to just stay home without any decent chance to prepare for it. Life doesn't stop, even for a virus.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,672,766 times
Quote:

Many essential workers around here make $10-$12 an hour. Minus taxes. Minus other stuff.

That's the reality. Another reality is that $10 an hour doesn't buy or rent a car.

If an area, even like our fair Florida City (Sarasota) wanted to do things right they would organize transportation for all the "essential" workers.

But the US motto - and especially the Florida Creed - is YOYO MF. The same creed we read here at CD all year long - "lift yourself up by your bootstraps and get another job and keep working, MF"....except now it is slightly modified to "Lift yourself up however you can, it's not my problem, and infect others if you need to because it's simply not economically possible for the Corporation that pays you to let anything else happen".

We'll see how well that works out, but no doubt it is the system many profess belief in.

Old 03-25-2020, 08:27 PM

Update Malaysia....Lock down here in Malaysia, my current location, has been extended from March 31 to April 14. This lock down began on March 19. They are checking temperatures before entering the supermarket and police are stopping cars asking people were they are going.

Update Philippines...The ratio of rate of infection in the USA is now 33 times greater than Philippines up from 32 times greater yesterday. And yes, both places are not 100% accurately reflecting how many actual infections there are. However, it sure appears there is a 33 times greater chance in the USA the person that just got out of the air conditioned space before you coughed...

I am concerned that even fishing boats are being stopped from going out fishing. One of my future in-laws is a fisherman and my fiance sent his family 5 kilos of rice. My fiance has a travel pass to go to the local supermarket to restock the family store. However, my fiance is concerned about my future sister in-law and her family. They live far from town and don't have a pass to come to the city and shop for rice. In the Philippines they eat rice three times a day which is why I made sure our household had a full sack before the lock down.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies