Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 07:25 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,578,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
The US is the most globalized and porous nation on Earth, so it shouldn't be any surpise if we have the most cases. Also, the communist Chinese government is very likely lying about the number of their cases because communist governments tend to do that.
So you are saying more people come to the USA for a given population and.or land mass than, say, the Netherlands or UK?

Could you provide the numbers please?

Sounds like some big excuses are being repeated....echo chamber type stuff...as if people have things in reserve as different levels are hit.

Did you ever stop and think that perhaps we are the lone advanced country without a coherent health care system or public health effort from the top?

Maybe, just maybe, that is part of it?
Or predatory - double the price - health care?

Or maybe, just maybe, the big American Dream of getting something nice now instead of investing as a society in things?

Or maybe - the inability to take action quick enough?

No....must be the couple of things a few are repeating because they heard them from....???

When our leader has said "15 and soon zero" and we have an undercount in FL and many areas which may be 500% or more....well, it's hard to say "you can't believe them".

Old 03-26-2020, 07:27 AM

29,859 posts, read 11,424,480 times
Weekly unemployment claims are coming out in about 5 minutes. This is the first really important piece of economic data since the shutdowns have begun. The first of many bad looking reports to come out in coming weeks.

I have read 2-3 million initial claims but then I read California has over one million for this week.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:42 AM

39,803 posts, read 26,299,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Weekly unemployment claims are coming out in about 5 minutes. This is the first really important piece of economic data since the shutdowns have begun. The first of many bad looking reports to come out in coming weeks.

I have read 2-3 million initial claims but then I read California has over one million for this week.
Given the number of places that have been locked down, that seems low. When this is over, we face perhaps a bigger and longer term problem than the bug. How many businesses will go under? How many jobs destroyed? How many individuals lose their homes because they can't their mortgage (though it shoulds as if efforts are in place to delay mortgage payments). Given the former record low UE and strong "basics" of our economy, we can only hope it comes back quickly once the virus passes.

Personally, I think we'll see new cases peak in the next week or so and start dropping, as they have in other countries where the case count started climbing before ours. And with that, I think we'll see a fairly quick turnaround economically as well. But that's just my opinion, and may be way optimistic.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Regardless they did it, and therefore we have no reason to believe their numbers are inaccurate.
For a country like China that has for years lied about their economic numbers and then lied about the virus early on and jailed those who spoke out. We have every reason to be suspicious about their virus numbers.

That being said it does appear they have gotten things under control. But whether they have had 80K cases or 8 million we may never know.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 AM

39,803 posts, read 26,299,592 times
I'm curious about something. Just how much of an economic boon has this virus been to the media industry? They make money from advertising, on either broadcast, print or web-based media. I can't help but notice just how many people are watching the news, following on the web and even reading the paper (thought by the time newspapers are published the news is out of date!).

Old 03-26-2020, 07:45 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,956,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
Looks like Fla. going to be hit hard.

42 Policeman tested positive in Tampa area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
WTSP 44 officers quarantined. On the news feed.
quarantine is not the same as a positive test result.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Given the number of places that have been locked down, that seems low. When this is over, we face perhaps a bigger and longer term problem than the bug. How many businesses will go under? How many jobs destroyed? How many individuals lose their homes because they can't their mortgage (though it shoulds as if efforts are in place to delay mortgage payments). Given the former record low UE and strong "basics" of our economy, we can only hope it comes back quickly once the virus passes.

Personally, I think we'll see new cases peak in the next week or so and start dropping, as they have in other countries where the case count started climbing before ours. And with that, I think we'll see a fairly quick turnaround economically as well. But that's just my opinion, and may be way optimistic.
I have read several reports that states are backlogged with unemployment filings. Lots of people cannot even file. So there could be lots of people in the "pipeline" that perhaps were not counted this week. Regardless I believe this is 5 times larger than any other week in the past.

I agree also that the economic hangover due to the virus and shutdowns will linger. And it seems everything has been thrown against the wall for maybe a month or at the outside two months of downtime. What if its longer than that? More $1200 checks? More rent, mortgage payment delays? How long can the whole country be paid to do nothing? Then there is the risk of deflation if people don't want to or can't buy things or hyper inflation if we pump too much money. It seems we have to thread a needle here to avoid all that.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
quarantine is not the same as a positive test result.

So you are saying they tested positive and are still on the streets working?

Old 03-26-2020, 07:50 AM

52,219 posts, read 33,956,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
None of the Dems are more qualified. It's been Dem policy driving us to "globalism" and open borders and pushing businesses out of America so that now we are dependent on China for our pharmaceuticals and face masks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It's as if you don't know we've been trading all over the world since....well, since before the USA existed.
outsourcing ≠ trading.

c'mon, you're old enough to know this stuff by now.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:55 AM

20,956 posts, read 8,578,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
outsourcing ≠ trading.

c'mon, you're old enough to know this stuff by now.
Right - 100 years ago we chained natives together (Congo) and made them do Palm Oil or Rubber....whereas today we actually sometimes PAY THEM for it.

It was quite normal to cut off arms as a punishment...for those who didn't harvest enough for Palm-Olive.

Big difference. I bow to your historical knowledge.

Here is your Free Trade from the good ole days!
https://www.pinterest.com/davehunter9212/belgian-congo/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies