Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 12:20 PM

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
So many epidemiologists on this board! I had no idea. We’re lucky to have so many experts across so many fields.
Viruses happen, and viruses spread.
Who cares?

This has always been human reality for thousands of years, nothing to panic over.

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I am sorry but I think you don't like the comparison because its an inconvenient truth. The EU is the EU. Its like not counting the south when talking about the USA. The EU gets 130 million visitors from outside the EU. The USA gets about 85 million visitors from other countries. This virus hit in winter in the EU. I don't think you can blame tourists for the bigger numbers in Europe. And the numbers are worst in Western Europe.

They are one economy, one currency. Their borders are open. They are of similar size. Comparing us to Italy is silly. They are 1/6th the size.

If universal healthcare is far superior to our system here. It should show up in the numbers. Of course the final tally is a long ways off. But lets see shall we.
Saying Europe as a single country is wrong. Yes land and populous size, it is far more comparable to the US, but the EU is largely different countries.

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Medical experts are saying Arizona will see cases spike in April.

Why is that?

7,235 posts, read 7,038,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
On one hand there's reason to be concerned. On the other it seems to me we're handling it the wrong way and setting a bad precedent.

It seems to me we're removing a limb at the shoulder instead of a frostbit finger.
Or, it’s doing a mastectomy instead of a lumpectomy.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:21 PM

4,553 posts, read 3,752,342 times
Come to a hospital and you will see your post is ridiculous. People are dying because the healthcare system is made to handle automobile accidents, gunshots, flu, but it cannot handle the load of new admissions for some virus that came here overnight.

Don't be an armchair quarterback.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM

30,160 posts, read 11,789,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Saying Europe as a single country is wrong. Yes land and populous size, it is far more comparable to the US, but the EU is largely different countries.

I did not say one country. They share a currency and you can freely travel between countries. They are even called member states by the EU. Its called a union for a reason.

27,624 posts, read 21,123,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
In NY we are hearing that 20% of people who test positive for the virus end up hospitalized. However, it is still very difficult to get tested. You have to have very specific symptoms and have been exposed to someone who has it. I'm sure there are thousands and thousands here who have it but are not included in our numbers.

Also, they keep saying that the other 80% have "mild" symptoms. I think this is misleading. Mild just seems to mean you don't require hospitalization. Some have hardly any symptoms but others are laid out at home for weeks.
Elmhurst Hospital in Queens had 13 coronavirus deaths in 24 hours
https://www.nydailynews.com/coronavi...raa-story.html

1,663 posts, read 1,055,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
He doesn't even believe our medical systems are feeling the strain. What's happening in New York right now is just more FAKE NEWS! This is no worse than the common cold, you know! Masterful Man has so declared it, and he is apparently just as much an expert as our know-nothing president.

If Masterful Man says this is not real, then it's not.

The strain is caused by how they're reacting to covid-19.
They're all over-reacting to it and treating this as if it were Ebola or Anthrax.
It's the hysteria and ridiculous reaction that is creating the problems, not the actual virus itself.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:23 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,627,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
On one hand there's reason to be concerned. On the other it seems to me we're handling it the wrong way and setting a bad precedent.

It seems to me we're removing a limb at the shoulder instead of a frostbit finger.
Thankfully, epidemiologists (who have dedicated their entire lives to learning how to deal with pandemics) know more than you do about this subject. I really can't comprehend why this is so hard for people to understand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
The strain is caused by how they're reacting to covid-19.
They're all over-reacting to it and treating this as if it were Ebola or Anthrax.
It's the hysteria and ridiculous reaction that is creating the problems, not the actual virus itself.
Tell ya what, Doc. Why don't you fly to New York City, and go to one of the hospitals that you say are not overloaded. Go to the ICU wing, and tell the people who are dying of pneumonia that they're just being a bunch of big babies. Then get back to us on how that goes, OK?

Oh, and be sure to lick everything in the room, too. K?

Old 03-26-2020, 12:23 PM

14,221 posts, read 6,960,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I did not say one country. They share a currency and you can freely travel between countries. They are even called member states by the EU.
Some countries also use the US dollar as their currency and there's no visa restrictions either. It doesnt mean they are part of America.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies