Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 06:38 PM

56,986 posts, read 25,943,130 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
Covid-19 is a member of the corona virus family which the common cold belongs to.
It's literally just a new strain of the common cold.

Italy's death rate figures are bogus. They're lumping old people dying of natural causes into the covid-19 heap. The pathologists have not had time to confirm who has died of what, they're just lumping all people dying into the covid 19 category.

Italy has a ton of old people too, kind of like Japan.
Old people dying off is nothing to be concerned about, unless you're an elderly person.
This should not be compared to a simple cold regardless of origin. If you have a link indicating Italy's figures are bogus I would love to see it.

I guess young people dying off is only a concern if you are young.

2,078 posts, read 1,022,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Yes, OP, just continue to ignore how our hospitals are so overwhelmed that they are creating temporary tent shelters in their parking lots to house the sick.

Stupid health workers. Don't they realize all the dead and dying overflowing their hospitals right now are all a hoax?

the tents are to intake people and seperate those who need to be. It's not some massive war tent where they're treating the deathly ill. calm down

52,446 posts, read 34,133,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
"If it didn't" clearly indicates I consider it an hypothesis, but not a fact.

There have been a couple of genome analyses recently that say corona was probably not engineered by anyone, but the result of an unfortunate natural evolution.
“if it didn’t” implies that’s your working hypothesis.

yet even genome analyses didn’t stop you from hopefully citing a crazed theory that it originated from the US.
speaks volumes.

25,407 posts, read 17,082,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There were 13 deaths in the Elmhurst Hospital in Queens yesterday, they got a refrigerated tractor trailer to store the bodies temporarily. That is a fact. These hospital in NYC and the surrounding counties are over whelmed.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/insi...ry?id=69804681
And that's WITH the shutdown.
Imagine what it would be like without.

25,956 posts, read 24,644,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
As bad as the numbers in the US are now and will shortly become, I anticipate numbers in Brazil will soon be far higher.

210 million people of whom over 50 million live in poverty
25 million are packed into top 4 cities
Unlike Africa, median age is surprisingly high at 32 years

Likely cases will not be able to be counted and officials will have to use the number of grave sites.
Their president has the same views as Trump, so yes, things may get really ugly.

When you look at the metropolitan areas, it is even 42 million that are packed into the top 4 cities.

The favelas (slums) are perfect for the propagation of the virus.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:40 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,783,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Florida cases 30% increase in a day. Still under 30K tested. About 9% are positives, so it's not like random tests are being taken.

WH "plan" to assign counties risk is wrongheaded. Basically it will change so quickly and encourage bad behavior. Best plan is to lockdown entire nation for 3 weeks.

WA State has flattened to some degree b/c they started earlier.

Experts say (and I had guessed!) we prob. have 10X the reported cases....make it one million to round it off.

200K total tested positive are expected in one week.

Even a 2% (low) mortality of 2 million cases will be 40K dead but it seems unlikely we will stop the curve at the present rate (no national lockdown).

In terms of human behavior I am seeing decent distancing here in Sarasota but reading the Villages forum...they are talking about going to 6 stores for 10 items and many people being in each store. People playing cards around a table....lots of golfing, etc- people are assuming that those they hung out with before are safe. Rand Paul thought so too.

They won't be able to cover up the Virus here because the Seniors will get it bad enough to need help. I wish it were not so, but the odds favor it being the case.
Agreed playing cards around a table sounds like a perfect way for one person to spread it to three more. Not only are they close together, they are passing cards to each other. Further the stores these seniors are largely going into are air conditioned. Golfers like to stop at the 1/2 way shack and have a few beers and a burger in the cool air. At least I bet there is a 1/2 way shack. So no, golfing is not a risk free activity. Cleaning staff often clean several places each day and perhaps dozens in a week. What a perfect way for someone who is asymptomatic to spread it house to house even when people stay inside.

This place Villages is sounding more and more like the perfect spot for the virus. So if you have been looking to buy into the Villages there may soon be a few openings.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:41 PM

25,956 posts, read 24,644,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
yet even that didn’t stop you from hopefully citing a crazed theory that it originated from the US.
speaks volumes.
That theory is not crazy at all. Crazy people come up with crazy ideas...

Old 03-26-2020, 06:43 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,487,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerseyt719 View Post
It is a minute fraction of 1% of the world population that currently have the virus. And an even smaller fraction that have died from it.

If it were 2 million cases in our country, that would still be less than 1% of our population.

Yes, that’s small.

Those at risk of dying from it are even smaller.

This is what I’m talking about. They are using number of cases versus percentages. The percentages are so small that they aren’t even newsworthy.

No, I do not think it is worthy of shutting down our nation’s economy for.
So, you do think there is something else going on, under the disguise of the virus?

It would be about the perfect method to pull off a global control effort!

Old 03-26-2020, 06:45 PM

45,676 posts, read 23,889,408 times
Great talking point/view point -- the economy was artificially tanked by this virus. Yes it is bad, yes we are in a recession. BUT we need to halt the economy to get the virus contained. The recovery won't be as long as 2008 because the economy was stronger , But we risk the economy being bad longer if we jump back to the regular old way of doing things and breathing on each other too soon.

CNN talking points. No slam of Trump, his policies, his orange skin. Just talking about the economy.

oh and Dr. Fauci was on answering questions. Again no editorial -- just questions. Nothing derogatory to Trump.

I'm sure there will be an editorial at the end that will trigger folks...but the Town Hall with Fauci was just info.

Old 03-26-2020, 06:46 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,742,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
There were 13 deaths in the Elmhurst Hospital in Queens yesterday, they got a refrigerated tractor trailer to store the bodies temporarily. That is a fact. These hospital in NYC and the surrounding counties are over whelmed.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/insi...ry?id=69804681
I watched your link. Everything says they’re “preparing”. The numbers aren’t there.

Even 13 that died, out of the 1,000 that died, that’s 1.3%.

I’m not saying they shouldn’t prepare. They should. Preparation never hurts. Prepare for the worst, sure. The fact is we just don’t know what it will be.

The numbers still do not add up for the shut downs we are seeing in raw whole data from around the globe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies