Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 10:35 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,593,098 times

Advertisements

Lest anyone think where they live is isolated.....

https://flightaware.com/live/

Old 03-27-2020, 10:36 AM

29,909 posts, read 11,495,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I'm using a bandanna today. My parents somehow found masks, but there isn't stock of much. I didn't see much of the disposable gloves in my local Dollar Tree and I've gone there like twice this week. Then again I live near a bunch of adult communities.

I have heard pros and cons as to whether masks really make much difference but they can't hurt. At the very least less particles will pass than with nothing. I was surprised I found gloves. Maybe I had good timing. I bought a bunch in early February but you go through them faster than you expect. If I go to two stores I change gloves in my car. I don't want to wear them in my car after being in the store.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:36 AM

190 posts, read 56,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
No pre-existing conditions apparently, 17 year old........

https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of...XFtjjAZ0WuyaAE
“He had been sick for a few days, he had no previous health conditions. On the Friday before he died, he was healthy, he was socializing with his friends,” the mayor explained.

That reminded me of the 25 year old that was in critical care and a medically induced coma 3 or 4 days ago. He was flown to the Univ of Penn for treatment with one of the experimental drugs (which is why is was keeping up with this story), but ended up not needing it. They found that the ventilator wasn't being used properly at the previous hospital. Today he's running no fever and expected to come off the ventilator soon.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
Lest anyone think where they live is isolated.....

https://flightaware.com/live/

Wow way too many flights. I can't believe we have not grounded the airlines. Where I am you cannot get a haircut but you can go fly anywhere you want which seems much worse.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:41 AM

13,502 posts, read 4,817,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
Let's say this ends really bad with 20,000 US citizens dead.

With a $2 trillion stimulus package, that's $100 million spent per death.

I'm guessing our grandchildren will curse us.
That's a good point. Although I would guess more like 20,000 deaths with mitigation, vs maybe 200,000 without. Even then, we're talking $10 million per life.

Then again, we also spent $2 trillion on the Iraq War, and didn't save any lives.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I have heard pros and cons as to whether masks really make much difference but they can't hurt. At the very least less particles will pass than with nothing. I was surprised I found gloves. Maybe I had good timing. I bought a bunch in early February but you go through them faster than you expect. If I go to two stores I change gloves in my car. I don't want to wear them in my car after being in the store.
It would seem that gloves could cross contaminate easily for people who aren't careful.

I have worn them here and there but I even wipe those down.

I haven't worn a mask since I am not headed out, but if I have to be in any close environment I will wear one - we have a few around.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:42 AM

8,168 posts, read 3,097,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefox View Post
You can’t really base the death rate on what’s going on right now. Many more of those 39,000 active cases will result in death. There were people on the Diamond Princess that died weeks after testing positive.
What is the average age group of those who spend most of their time taking cruises? I come in contact with hundreds of people 65 years and older who take cruise after cruise because they've been retired for 10 + years and they've migrated on to spending their time taking cruises because they wore tired of doing the same old thing year after year, usually which is working in the yard and whatnot around their homes.

Of those deaths on the cruise ships, what were the ages of the ones that died?

Old 03-27-2020, 10:43 AM

15,647 posts, read 7,499,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Got a question since I'm already here ...

Did we have vaccines for swine, bird, h1n1 when they first arrived?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Nope, just like with this one.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Thank you ... I'd add additional comments, but I think people should be able to understand the obvious. Except in the case of my kids ...
[there's a good video here ppl should watch]
And yes, on his opening comment. Will continue watching later, ty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Snarky comments abound. But they only contain partial information.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

Quote:
Few young people had any existing immunity (as detected by antibody response) to the (H1N1)pdm09 virus, but nearly one-third of people over 60 years old had antibodies against this virus, likely from exposure to an older H1N1 virus earlier in their lives.
The vaccine was released in November 2009.
[i added the bold to the quote] You say snarky --- I say stating the obvious. History sets precedence; today is no different than yesterday, except in the area of the reaction to it. Which leads to the question, why? That's all ... ( https://ncov2019.live/ )

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 03-27-2020 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: add link

Old 03-27-2020, 10:45 AM

Florida passes 3,000 - and definitely still not testing at ANY scale
DeSantis refuses to name the Assisted Living Facilities where it is positive.

This seems like a very bad decision as the people who work there must know....and without good knowledge rumors float. It could be ANY of the Assisted Living places!

Terrible, IMHO. DeSantis was good at PR when there were no issues in Florida but now that I hear him speak and see his lack of leadership I am reminded of an empty suit....or worse.

Old 03-27-2020, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
It would seem that gloves could cross contaminate easily for people who aren't careful.

I have worn them here and there but I even wipe those down.

I haven't worn a mask since I am not headed out, but if I have to be in any close environment I will wear one - we have a few around.

With the gloves I feel I am more aware not to touch my face or clothes or any part of me. For me its a reminder of what is going on. I toss them out when I leave the store. I never reuse them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies