Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 08:01 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,664,723 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Even quicker math - if you don’t test, you have fewer reported cases. We. Are. Not. Testing. Enough.
Really quick math. I knew when I started putting $500 a month away 35 years ago what I would have today.

Look forward...unlike our "leaders", most of whom close the barn doors LONG after all the critters have left it. They still leave them partially open even then.

The Art of Being Human is the ability to project and plan. Other than that we are just like most animals.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:04 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,994,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"PortMiami records show the Oasis docked at the port the morning of March 24 and unloaded passengers. It left port later that day."

Lots of Cruise ships that had infected crew and others aboard still unloading in Florida - and yet DeSantis wants to make sure people don't come from New Orleans?

Easily 50,000 cruise ship passengers have disembarked here- most then flying elsewhere with no checks. Millions have come and gone but he makes it seems as if stopping cars in I-10 is going to help things???

It's as if he doesn't know math.
He didn't seem to mind all the spring breakers.....These people don't have brains that work. They are jumping all around with policy and not making any sense. So folks are having a hard time taking them seriously.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:04 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lots of things have been taken away from us. Not really a sacrifice because the implies we had a choice in the matter. In areas where we do have choice we are not stopping. At least not enough of us. I think its semantics as to calling it soft or something else. The South Koreans knew what they had to do and looked the the big picture and it worked. We don't have that in us. Call it what you want.
It is still a sacrifice. Having to get store brand to some is a sacrifice, me I know on most items the just noticeable difference is moot. I mean bread is bread. That said if Bar-S is the only hot dog left, I ain't getting hot dogs that s day. Then you have all the food shopping you must try to do and working from home and having kids learn from home (in some cases until summer.)

The cultures that are don't strict lockdown are smaller and often times collectivist. I took international business and America is by far the least collectivist and most individualist country. That is why I have brought it up several times when explaining why lockdown in the US wouldn't work. We don't think does our neighbor need me to stay home. Anytime anyone thinks other than themselves, they are often labeled liberals or Marxist.

I mean with the way the U.S. geography Is, how does one impose quarantine? I know Rhode Island had police coming door to door, but they are a small state. Only a small number of countries are that small. Most states are the size of countries.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:05 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,721,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beb0p View Post
In other words: don't blame Trump because that's the best he can do.

Fair enough. Come November we vote for someone who knows what he is doing.

whos that? molester sleepy joe? find something else to cry about

Old 03-29-2020, 08:05 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,033,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
Lots of things have been taken away from us. Not really a sacrifice because the implies we had a choice in the matter. In areas where we do have choice we are not stopping. At least not enough of us. I think its semantics as to calling it soft or something else. The South Koreans knew what they had to do and looked the the big picture and it worked. We don't have that in us. Call it what you want.
98.5% in the US survive, and it is more like 99.2% for people under 50. We can’t stop life for a virus. We need to get back to work, especially younger people. And yes, we have to accept a 1% death rate. Lockdown is not a solution ultimately. Herd immunity requires that we get sick, develop resistance and move on. The destruction of jobs and the economy is worse than the disease when 99% live.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:06 AM

13,242 posts, read 4,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
"PortMiami records show the Oasis docked at the port the morning of March 24 and unloaded passengers. It left port later that day."

Lots of Cruise ships that had infected crew and others aboard still unloading in Florida - and yet DeSantis wants to make sure people don't come from New Orleans?

Easily 50,000 cruise ship passengers have disembarked here- most then flying elsewhere with no checks. Millions have come and gone but he makes it seems as if stopping cars in I-10 is going to help things???

It's as if he doesn't know math.
We have more implicatory denial here in the US, it gets in the way of problem solving, trouble-shooting problems, resolving problems, root cause analysis, et cetera.

That is, findings, including scientific or reality-based ones, are rejected because we don’t like their implications, it's a very problematic strategy.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and...virus-skeptics

Critical thinking is a much better approach.

7,826 posts, read 2,724,781 times
Quote:
Even quicker math - if you don’t test, you have fewer reported cases. We. Are. Not. Testing. Enough.
Here are some good questions regarding tests. This guy is a data nerd primarily focused on the economy with a focus on real estate...really dry...not much opinion. He is very data driven and is putting more focus on our current predicament with Covid19. Do we have any answers to these questions??

We are looking like a third world country right now.

https://www.calculatedriskblog.com/2...tests-per.html

Quote:
March 28 Update: US COVID-19 Tests per Day #TestAndTrace
by Calculated Risk on 3/28/2020 05:18:00 PM

It is one thing to finally have the capacity to do test-and-trace (not there yet). But we also need the infrastructure in place.

Questions to ask:

1. Who is in charge of the Test-and-trace taskforce?

2. Do we have the tools ready to go? (Software, database, etc)

3. Do we have the manpower trained? (Not healthcare workers)

4. Do we have tools ready to track those in self quarantine? South Korea calls people twice a day in quarantine to see how they are doing, if they need medical help or food, and to schedule a follow-up test when they are feeling better.

5. Do we have trained manpower to call people twice a day in quarantine?

28,890 posts, read 30,251,580 times
Quote:
I understand, if you have the virus and are "not" showing any symptoms, a test isn't going to be a confirmed Positive until the symptoms start showing? If this is true, how would testing everyone be a conclusive accurate test on each individual?

Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 AM

5,479 posts, read 2,117,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
My birthday is April 14. It's not going to be a good day for me.
Mine is +1

Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 AM

5,101 posts, read 2,047,097 times
Is it ok if I post that coronavirus meme I saw on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/joshuawongcf/sta...68986590879744
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies