Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 08:45 AM

11,337 posts, read 11,041,348 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Ignoring scientific advice is like hanging out at the beach hoping the tsunami doesn't hit. You can't resume "normality" when thousands of unhealthy (and healthy) people are dying. Sure go back to work, what do you think is gonna happen ? Everything returns to normal ? No way.
  • Restaurants are going to lose business - regardless of if the economy is open
  • Retail business will still go bust - because they won't have workers or customers
  • Airlines would have to run with half full planes
  • Car dealers - who wants to buy a car under these conditions
  • Real Estate - same as cars - purchases will be down
The stock market doesn't respond to things being open - it responds to the health of the economy and we can't have a healthy economy without a healthy populace. There is no way to get over this, without going through it, and trying to minimize the overload. Only then can we find a vaccine and mitigate the damage.
No. A vaccine is not a certainty. We can’t wait. Herd immunity is a sure thing. And can start immediately. And with 99.3% of those under 50 surviving, those under 50 can certainly begin to think about returning to work. We can still limit public gatherings and keep the hand washing and social distancing in place. But sitting at home and watching the economy be destroyed is not an option. Let’s figure out a way to return to work intelligently.

In the long term, less people die if we get back to work. At least for those under 50.

And the 99% survival will increase sharply as soon as we have some treatments that don’t cure, but help fight the virus. That’s going to be happening soon.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:46 AM

14,267 posts, read 6,956,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiGeekGuest View Post
We have more implicatory denial here in the US, it gets in the way of problem solving, trouble-shooting problems, resolving problems, root cause analysis, et cetera.

That is, findings, including scientific or reality-based ones, are rejected because we don’t like their implications, it's a very problematic strategy.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/q-and...virus-skeptics

Critical thinking is a much better approach.
Unfortunately there seems to be a huge lack of critical thinking in this country. Also a lack of empathy for others and a lack of basic math skills and a lack of the ability to think ahead. Scary.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ansible90 View Post
Looks like you are in or near the NYC-Tri State hot zone. Have you been staying home?

Plenty of people are still working to keep our supermarkets and pharmacies stocked. Many of those are risking their lives everyday because they deal with the public face to face.

Most of the businesses that are shut down relate to Entertainment. I keep wondering why so much of our economy is based on entertainment. It really is a first world problem. Unfortunately, most of the people who work in those in those industries are among the lowest paid.
No, I am not staying home. I am taking sensible precautions, but appraisals need to get done, and deals have to close. I have increased the work from home component where practicable, but I am in houses every day.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:50 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,745,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrw-500 View Post
Is it ok if I post that coronavirus meme I saw on Twitter?

https://twitter.com/joshuawongcf/sta...68986590879744
I also don't believe that, it would be too good to be true especially in such a huge country.

They said on the news today that about 40 thousand Chinese families were given urns with the remains of family members. So, I think 50k deaths is a more realistic number. No idea what that means for the number of infections, and hence the mortality rate.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:55 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
craigiri The same people don't seem to have a problem with "the economy" (MV accidents, stress, pollution, cancer, hearth disease, respiratory diseases, gun deaths, etc.) killing a large portion of Americans each and every year.
the economy has been a problem in many past presidencies, however, Clinton was the only president that I know, and I'm not a fan of the Clinton's, but his administration was starting to put a dent on our debt.

Quote:
"The Economy" is more dangerous than the virus in many ways - those are 1.5+ Million Americans deaths each and every year. Not to say all can be prevented, but a lot of them could be. Meanwhile, Trump has cut back EPA regs during this crisis so more can die from "normal and accepted" causes.
The economy as of yet, has not killed a hundred thousand people in a matter of weeks? But it can, I see your point but, please keep in mind, regulations is what drove all our companies over seas....we produce very little in our country any longer....

The best things that could come out of this are:

Quote:
1. We get the idea we could actually do things together to solve problems.
these are all good creative thoughts but I'm sorry to say, it ain't going to happen, not with the present situation the media and politicians have caused....people are so hateful towards the other party and quick to criticize any effort that the opposing party tries....we see it all the time and it always comes back to blame....

Quote:
2. We rethink parts of "the economy" which cause us all harm just to get some of those greenbacks which now have been proven can be given out for free.
Wanna run for President?

Quote:
3. We rethink our public health system
I agree, but the whole world has become so driven by money that it won't happen, b/c money is power...

Quote:
4. We think more carefully about our "leaders".
Good thought, but unfortunately good leaders are few and far between, and they with the help of the media, sabotoge the other party constantly....and take note, when a leader does try to do good, they completely destroy him...why? VOTES....Money and Power....

Quote:
30 years back my doc friends said 90% of the patients they see are lifestyle connected. I would suggest that lifestyle is somewhat a reaction to "the economy" - fast food nation and all of that.
your thoughts are all completely common sense good quality thoughts, but the problem is, people have become dependent on Quick fixes, Fast Foods, faster and faster technology, and the only way your thoughts are going to materialize and be practiced again, is if our great nation falls, and it very well might.

When you look back in history, when did every great nation fall? When they became immoral and corrupt.

Just as an example....people no longer know how to communicate with each other, people actually call 911 and call the cops out bc they are having a difference of opinion at home and fighting with each other, be it their children or their spouse. It is pathetic....

So..thanks so much for your input, you give us older folks hope.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:55 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEPLimey View Post
Even quicker math - if you don’t test, you have fewer reported cases. We. Are. Not. Testing. Enough.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
You have to take into consideration that the health care system will be overwhelmed with your scenario. 1.5% death rate assumes everyone gets the health care they need. 15-20% need to be hospitalized and a significant number of those need ventilators. And yes, many of the people who need ventilators are young people. They wont get it with that strategy. The death rate would be far higher than 1.5% with the strategy you're advocating.
New ventilators are on the way from many different sources. We will have that solved within a few weeks. Same with masks and gloves and all the rest. Those shortages will end very soon.

As for hospitals, we can set up temporary field hospitals very quickly. At a fraction of the cost of the trillions we are losing sitting at home.

The bottom line is lockdown was ok for a few weeks while we got a handle on things. But we have to get back to work, back to making money, and figuring out the health care issues from a back-to-work worldview.

Sitting at home is NOT a viable solution.

South Korea has not locked down. Neither should we, at least not to the extent that we are. Shopping malls and retail stores should be reopened with social distancing right away. Then work from there.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:58 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
I also don't believe that, it would be too good to be true especially in such a huge country.

They said on the news today that about 40 thousand Chinese families were given urns with the remains of family members. So, I think 50k deaths is a more realistic number. No idea what that means for the number of infections, and hence the mortality rate.
plus reports are coming out of China that new cases are surfacing, if that is true....hard to know?

Old 03-29-2020, 09:02 AM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigiri View Post
The same people don't seem to have a problem with "the economy" (MV accidents, stress, pollution, cancer, hearth disease, respiratory diseases, gun deaths, etc.) killing a large portion of Americans each and every year.

"The Economy" is more dangerous than the virus in many ways - those are 1.5+ Million Americans deaths each and every year. Not to say all can be prevented, but a lot of them could be. Meanwhile, Trump has cut back EPA regs during this crisis so more can die from "normal and accepted" causes.

The best things that could come out of this are:

1. We get the idea we could actually do things together to solve problems.
2. We rethink parts of "the economy" which cause us all harm just to get some of those greenbacks which now have been proven can be given out for free.
3. We rethink our public health system
4. We think more carefully about our "leaders".

30 years back my doc friends said 90% of the patients they see are lifestyle connected. I would suggest that lifestyle is somewhat a reaction to "the economy" - fast food nation and all of that.
Re: bold: this is already happening in the global scientific community:

Quote:
Novel coronavirus (2019-nCoV)

We are incorporating nCoV genomes as soon as they are shared and providing analyses and situation reports. Please see below for the latest updates.
https://archive.vn/FFNYo

Those darn collectivists & globalists.

By the way: ( can we all agree to a moratorium on some of the more ridiculous conspiracy theories while working together to solve problems? )

Old 03-29-2020, 09:03 AM

17,623 posts, read 6,911,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
Well - I confess I didn't read the whole thread, but I assume this is - in part - about PPE. Because short of a vaccine, nothing would have stopped the end result. Nothing. Speculate all ya want - but when you blame our gov't. for that, I guess you implicitly concede that our leaders are at least as competent as all the leaders, everywhere. Because no one has stopped it yet.

Regarding PPE - They have a shelf life - so no matter how many - per day - you can add to the shelf - you are burning just as many the same day - after 3 to 5 years.

While it "might" have been possible to keep up with that (and maybe we did) in the early days of CVID19 - do the math. Work it out. It was not possible to stockpile the amount of PPE we need. Not by Trump. Not by anyone.

Manufacturers aren't magical. Machines operate at a finite speed. Material arrives by boats - from other countries. Trucks have to deliver the materials. And so on.

This virus is not easy for us to understand, and it leaves room for us to fill in the blanks any way our mind wants to. Do the math. Read the numbers. Fill your mind with something helpful. This constant complaining will not improve things.
They *think* the constant complaining will improve their political party's chances of winning elections in November. They aren't too bright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies