Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 10:11 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
We don't know that, so I'm not sure why you are stating it. It's an unprovable hypothesis at this point; there is not enough data to make that claim because we are at the very beginning of the pandemic.

We do know that millions of Americans got H1N1 under Obama and that has not happened with COVID-19, at least not yet.

Link: https://www.biospace.com/article/200...irus-pandemic/
Right now it is. 12,469 out of 60.8m of American H1N1 patients is about 0.02% of those that got it and was documented. 142,502 total cases as of 12:07 3/30/2020 by John Hopkins with 2,112 deaths by the CDC gives us a 1.5% of American Covid-19 patients die. Yeah, 0.02% is deadlier than 1.5%... Total deaths, you're right but you are also comparing the course of H1N1 to where we are barely a month in with Covid-19 community spreading.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:14 PM

17,618 posts, read 6,905,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Right now it is. 12,469 out of 60.8m of American H1N1 patients is about 0.02% of those that got it and was documented. 142,502 total cases as of 12:07 3/30/2020 by John Hopkins with 2,112 deaths by the CDC gives us a 1.5% of American Covid-19 patients die. Yeah, 0.02% is deadlier than 1.5%... Total deaths, you're right but you are also comparing the course of H1N1 to where we are barely a month in with Covid-19 community spreading.
I know you're hoping there are more deaths from COVID-19 than there were from H1N1 but I'm not going to agree that will happen.

With Trump extending the CDC guidelines until 04/30, there is a pretty good chance nowhere near 60M people get it. That would be quite a success especially in comparison to Obama's handling/non-handling of the H1N1 pandemic, which involved a virus much less nasty than COVID-19.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:22 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I agree. But to play the devils advocate those who want the shutdown point to the up to 20% that require hospitalization and a smaller percentage that will require ICU and ventilators.

So its not just death or everything is fine. But even with that this lockdown should be optional. If you know the risks and are willing to take them you should be allowed to open businesses and live as normal. But this is mob rule. The mob says no.
It isn't mob rule. I know for a fact that most gym and movie theater chains closed not long after California and New York cities closed their gyms and movie theaters. They decided to do it blanket statement wise. Seeing Onward the morning AMC closed nationally, and it was very much a weekday crowd for that time. Maybe 10 people tops. But the fact is the movie theaters were taken to the mat the previous two weekends already.

The business of being in business is to create business. Right now as it stands, gyms, movie theaters and sports facilities would not at all be profitable. It is barely profitable for restaurants with takeout and DoorDash/Uber Eats/Postmates deliveries to be in business. Even if we decide to go and re-open, I highly doubt people will do more than get drive-thru and goto supermarkets and Walmart. Let me explain something I was stunned actually to see Bed, Bath & Beyond and Ross entirely closed and Best Buy closed but taking in store pick-ups.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:25 PM

38,643 posts, read 26,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
What we do know, however, is that if it kills fewer people than the flu or the common cold...it'll only be through our social distancing and other actions, like shutting down businesses, that causes it to kill fewer people than the common cold or the flu.

It may not end up killing more people than the flu...if we're quite lucky...but it's certainly a more dangerous, faster spreading disease.

Yes, but this bugs seems to impact different people in different ways.

Many, perhaps most, either have very mild symptoms or don't have any symptoms at all.

Others, even young healthy individuals, die within days or hours of being diagnosed.

Perhaps the worst thing about it is that we just don't understand it.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:27 PM

24,618 posts, read 9,449,501 times
Until we get everyone tested, the numbers won’t make a difference

Old 03-29-2020, 10:49 PM

30,148 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
It isn't mob rule. I know for a fact that most gym and movie theater chains closed not long after California and New York cities closed their gyms and movie theaters. They decided to do it blanket statement wise. Seeing Onward the morning AMC closed nationally, and it was very much a weekday crowd for that time. Maybe 10 people tops. But the fact is the movie theaters were taken to the mat the previous two weekends already.

The business of being in business is to create business. Right now as it stands, gyms, movie theaters and sports facilities would not at all be profitable. It is barely profitable for restaurants with takeout and DoorDash/Uber Eats/Postmates deliveries to be in business. Even if we decide to go and re-open, I highly doubt people will do more than get drive-thru and goto supermarkets and Walmart. Let me explain something I was stunned actually to see Bed, Bath & Beyond and Ross entirely closed and Best Buy closed but taking in store pick-ups.
480,000 smokers die every year in America. Something that could be more or less stopped if it was banned. We don't have daily updates of smoking deaths each night on the news. In fact most people figure its personal responsibility and everyone knows the risks. I don't support banning smoking because it would open a black market and create more crime. Just making the comparison. Its not a national emergency that half a million people die each year from smoking. It is a national emergency that an estimated 80k or less will die from the coronavirus which has less than 3,000 deaths so far.

The businesses shut down due to mob rule. Panic spreads and people stop going to those places. I have witnessed businesses that got slower each day the past few weeks to the point they lose money being open.

I get that the virus is a big problem. But low risk people should have the option to live however they want knowing there is a very small chance if dying from it. High risk and people over 60 should stay home. Lots of those folks do not work anyways it would have little effect on them.

If you listen to Fauci and others this shutdown could last several more months. That is if the methods in place work. I see quickly people saying enough is enough and hitting the streets. If enough do you can't really stop them. We need an endgame on this now. Letting low risk people go back to work and opening up businesses is the first step. As well as the antibody tests.

We have had flattening the past couple days. Yesterdays rise was only 800 higher than the day before and today was down for the first time after 9 days of more daily cases than the day before. We are about 10 days behind Italy and their numbers leveled off about 10 days ago. Hopefully 20,000 cases a day will be the peak.
https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 03-29-2020 at 11:00 PM..

Old 03-29-2020, 10:59 PM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Yes, but this bugs seems to impact different people in different ways.

Many, perhaps most, either have very mild symptoms or don't have any symptoms at all.

Others, even young healthy individuals, die within days or hours of being diagnosed.

Perhaps the worst thing about it is that we just don't understand it.
https://www.worldometers.info/corona...-demographics/

You can get the facts here. You can see, it is exceedingly rare that anyone under 40 is dying of this. Diseases of all kinds can take young lives too, coronavirus is not unique in this respect. In fact, the younger a person is, the more likely they are to survive this. The flu tends to kill the very young, and the very old. Coronavirus has yet to kill anyone under that age of 10 according to this source.

It's not all doom and gloom. Not even close. The more we learn about it, the more obvious it is that the media has worked people into a frenzy with unnecessary hype designed to achieve higher ratings. If they lie and mislead, people will disregard the threat this virus can pose, and not comply with requests for social distancing and other preventative measures that work to limit the spread of the virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Until we get everyone tested, the numbers won’t make a difference
If we tested everyone, including people with no symptoms, there will be more people counted in the pool and the mortality rate would appear much lower. We can't have that, because the lame stream media would not be able to keep this temporary ratings bump going. Nobody is going to glue themselves in front of their television set for a virus with a mortality rate under 1%.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
I trust the nations top virus expert, Dr Fauci, he says infected cases will skyrocket within the next few months.

Although if you think about it, Im not sure they can give an accurate number, because ultimately there are only so many tests and only certain people are being tested, so its impossible to come up with numbers unless every person in the country was checked twice a month for 3 months, (that is obviously not practical or possible though).

The experts have been wrong the whole way through. But even a broken clock is right twice a day...

Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
What that means is that fewer cases may have been reported today. Nothing more than that. In the U. S., we haven't even begun to reach a peaking point in number of cases. I assume this is a ploy on your part, to make it seem like Trump's prediction of the epidemic ending soon, is coming true. A failed attempt.
Glad you got this in on page one. This is a truth that bears repeating.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 PM

2,001 posts, read 760,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
I almost walked out intn the cold rain to cool off after listening to Trump tonight, and to to recently I really considered myself missle of the road.

BLAMING THE HOSPITALS?

REALLY?

Do you really not understand why there mught be ahigher demanf for PPE during this crisis?

Event beyond the olbvious, there are thousands of retired and other non-woring healthcare workers in NY thatre are now VOLUNTEERING their services to help.

They shouldn't get basic protectove gear?

I'm sorry, but this was kind of the end of my rope giving Trump the benefit of the doubt.

Shameless.
If a private for profit hospital needs more PPE they should purchase more, and probably plan better in the future for mass casualty events. We choose to have private run healthcare in this country, I’m not sure why we expect the federal government to take over at this point.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:09 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
The hot summer weather, and hopefully even the warm spring weather, will likely slow the virus. Take a look at how many cases they are dealing with in the hottest parts of the world.
What are you talking about? ECUADOR, literally named after the EQUATOR, has more cases than anywhere else in South America.

See also Indonesia, Malaysia, etc.

It’s clearly spreading there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies