Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 07:25 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so your response to fact is insult and lies?

What do we "know" about the virus:

more contagious than the flu
long period it may take to show symptoms
relies on close "prolonged" contact
much worse for old and with other health factors.

Wuhan is a city about the same population as NYC, though it sprawls over a 10x area.

DeBlasio and Cuomo could have easily known 2 weeks prior that the right course of action was an immediate "quarantine in place" for NYC. 2 weeks ago, Italy was THE hotspot, and had already gone under strict quarantine.

You know, out here in "butt **** USA" we do rely on getting in our cars to get groceries, go out to eat, etc. In NYC - is it more common to have goods delivered than to get in a car to shop?

Instead, we'll get NY'ers like you who blame Trump for the decisions and failures of the state leadership. Personal;ly, I think it's clear that both DeBlasio and Cuomo were hoping Trump would do their dirty work for them, so they didn't have to play the bad guys.
Ah, so now it's Cuomos fault...when they took the virus seriously and Trump said it was an overblown reaction designed to hurt his re-election, and all your favorite media figures said the same. You Trump fans are really exhibiting all the qualities of cult members with your unbelievable BS.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
People need to cooperate to fight the virus, trying to pull yourself up by your bootstraps is only going to take you so far.
Not at all what I was saying. I was saying don't rely on the government to mail you checks and toilet paper, don't be the idiot out there wearing a dirty mask for 5 weeks that isn't going to help you and will make things worse. Practice good hygiene (I'm looking at the 10-15% of you in my place of work that don't even wash your hands after using the restroom), actually listen to the medical and scientific advice to stay away from people, eat well, hydrate, and exercise so you can remain healthy.

Take care of all of that and your reliance on the government response is pretty minimal unless you become terribly sick. Thats where the government resources are best used, to deal with the worst case scenario. And you avoiding becoming a drain on those resources helps us all.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:26 AM

20,955 posts, read 8,670,317 times
Lest anyone think the AZ guy and his wife are the only bad outcomes of Trumps "game changer"

"Prices for an additive used to clean fish tanks have skyrocketed after studies found the pharmaceutical drug version of it may treat the coronavirus, a report said.

Chloroquine phosphate is used to in aquariums to kill some organisms, like algae, that may harm fish.

Sellers on eBay and other websites hiked prices in March, and buyers were willing to shell out large amounts of cash for the substance, Storyful found. The listings indicated that the product wasn’t meant for human consumption.

Between Feb. 25 and March 2, the price paid for a single 25-gram bottle of chloroquine phosphate rose from $9.99 to over $500
."

Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
I think the middle ground is to focus on protecting the elderly with masks, social distancing, home delivery, and so forth, while letting it run rampant among the young and make them stay home if they're sick. Nobody under 50 with COVID-19 is allowed hospitalization. That way the economy can stay safe and the rich can enjoy their billions. Plus we'll have built up herd immunity. It's cruel, but it could minimize total deaths.

I'm guessing you're thinking: no thanks.
If the WHO and CDC and NIH and all the experts at Mass General and everywhere else confirm your "theory" I would give it consideration.

But, until that, it's like asking a concrete finisher to do brain surgery on you.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:28 AM

8,136 posts, read 3,674,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
so your response to fact is insult and lies?

What do we "know" about the virus:

more contagious than the flu
long period it may take to show symptoms
relies on close "prolonged" contact
much worse for old and with other health factors.

Wuhan is a city about the same population as NYC, though it sprawls over a 10x area.

DeBlasio and Cuomo could have easily known 2 weeks prior that the right course of action was an immediate "quarantine in place" for NYC. 2 weeks ago, Italy was THE hotspot, and had already gone under strict quarantine.

You know, out here in "butt **** USA" we do rely on getting in our cars to get groceries, go out to eat, etc. In NYC - is it more common to have goods delivered than to get in a car to shop?

Instead, we'll get NY'ers like you who blame Trump for the decisions and failures of the state leadership. Personal;ly, I think it's clear that both DeBlasio and Cuomo were hoping Trump would do their dirty work for them, so they didn't have to play the bad guys.
Or, the US government could have implemented proper response (see Korea) and we would have been in much much better shape. Maybe even not discussing the trillions of pork.

First patients in US and Korea - confirmed on the same day. You can compare curves on Hopkins' web site.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post

Take care of all of that and your reliance on the government response is pretty minimal unless you become terribly sick. Thats where the government resources are best used, to deal with the worst case scenario. And you avoiding becoming a drain on those resources helps us all.
It takes the government to shut down all air traffic...and MANY similar things.

People will be people. 60 or 90 days of pain is the price to pay...or I should say "would have been the price to pay" because it is likely going to be too late before we start.

I'm not asking the government for anything. At the same time they are not doing their job and haven't been - at the Federal Level or, in my case, at the State Level (Florida).

Basically. DeSantis is doing nothing....well, truth is he is doing worse than nothing. He is basically inviting people with it to Florida and letting Millions then spread it elsewhere from Florida.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:38 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Every time I see Cuomo on TV I gain a lot more respect for him. THAT is what a leader should look and act like. Confident without being obnoxious, intelligent, articulate, and focused.

Good man.
I like that he lays out what they are doing, and what their plans are instead of just saying, we are dong many things great things.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:43 AM

30,156 posts, read 11,783,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
The president, concerned about the economy, is considering abandoning the measures public health experts warn are needed to deal with the coronavirus.

https://wlos.com/news/nation-world/t...eks-not-months
I am not a fan of Trump at all but we can't let the country crash into a depression. Look at the numbers predicted for the 2nd quarter. 30% unemployment 30-50% drop in GDP. I grew up hearing my parents and grandparents talk about the great depression. How difficult life was for everyone. And the numbers predicted for the next few months are worse than during the great depression. And currently in my state two have died from the virus and one dying from fish cleaner trying to protect themselves from the virus.

We should do what we can to fight the virus but not at all costs.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:45 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma21 View Post
Yesterday it says 50 people in US died in the last 24 hours. Today it said 14. Isn’t that a good sign it’s slowing down?
It's not slowing down.

March 21 46 deaths that day
March 22 111 deaths that day
March 23 140 deaths that day

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Old 03-24-2020, 07:45 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,008,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stylo View Post
I am no Trump fan. Won't vote for him in November. And that's fine.

But I'm really appalled by the press's handling of this virus on every level.

The hysteria. The doomsday clickbait scare tactics. It's absolutely disgusting. I have to say CNN is the worst of them all.

I've been studying a lot of data around this thing and am gaining cautious optimism that it's not as bad as once feared.

Dr. Brix made a lot of points tonight that I've been saying for days. That it's way more prevalent than thought. Which affects the severity math in a positive light. Probably has been circulating for a while (I think millions are probably infected in the US). That means it's more mild, and it'll burn out quicker.

She was appointed by Obama. But she's been attacked by the Twitterati throughout this whole thing. And if she says anything positive, all of a sudden she's part of the "cult". Why? Because she's on the task force? Pretty gross. She's a smart woman.
oh stop blaming the media. The medical health experts in general are saying this is long from over.

Dr. Brix is fine and her JOB is to reassure people it will be fine.

It will be -- but we are nowhere from over this.

And Trump can declare in a week life back to normal and I GUARANTEE you it own't be and businesses and employees will not be back to normal.

There will be no bounce back. It will be a slow steady recovery -- like the last time.

Media hasn't been hysterical.

From day one they encouraged distancing, cleaning hangs, staying home if you are sick. No mass hysteria. That's your read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies