Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 01:40 PM

16,876 posts, read 10,539,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Alcoholics need alcohol to avoid potentially lethal withdrawal symptoms. What if your plumbing breaks - no hardware stores? Walmart has most items as well as food. It is the one store that absolutely needs to be open. America's general store.
Keeping Walmart and similar stores open just encourages more people to go out and shop for stuff they don’t need. Most plumbers have some parts on hand.

Last edited by Ibginnie; 03-23-2020 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: off topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2020, 01:57 PM

34,274 posts, read 19,312,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitey View Post
People aren't exactly packing themselves onto trains and buses right now. Here in the Chicago area CTA ridership is down 75%. I don't have a figure for the commuter trains to/from the suburbs but I've seen pics and video footage of rush hour trains usually packed to standing-room-only have maybe 5 riders per car.

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/video/4...s-bottom-line/

Oregons roads were showing a 50% decrease, and that was before the stay in place suggestion was changed to a order with misdemeanor charges for those who violate it.

And right now you DO NOT want to be in a jail.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:10 PM

25,119 posts, read 16,146,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They are not taking this seriously at all!

Id like to know how people are expected to stay 6ft apart on public transportation?

Im very surprised banks are still open, normally in situations like this, they are the first to close, mainly to prevent runs on the banks, I bet they are closed next week though, once LOTS more people start showing symptoms. Im going to my bank friday, after my paycheck is deposited and withdrawing everything except $5.
I know one or more major banks are doing drive-thru only. Obviously, that works mostly out here in suburbia and not in urban downtowns.

I can't believe places waited to shut down gyms/fitness centers. There's probably no greater non-medical setting chance of a bodily fluid exchange than a gym.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:13 PM

42,661 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
They are not taking this seriously at all!

Id like to know how people are expected to stay 6ft apart on public transportation?

Im very surprised banks are still open, normally in situations like this, they are the first to close, mainly to prevent runs on the banks, I bet they are closed next week though, once LOTS more people start showing symptoms. Im going to my bank friday, after my paycheck is deposited and withdrawing everything except $5.
Many have closed their branch offices. Drive thru only.
They are doing this on their own though. I got emails my my 2 banks last week.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:14 PM

12,337 posts, read 8,068,768 times
Liquor stores around here are not small BevMos. They are mini markets and convince stores which also sell hard liquor

Old 03-23-2020, 02:15 PM

8,168 posts, read 3,110,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaimuki View Post
What about massage parlors, will the government also consider them essential?
Only the one's that give the massages with the happy ending.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:17 PM

20,955 posts, read 8,629,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Keeping Walmart and similar stores open just encourages more people to go out and shop for stuff they don’t need. Most plumbers have some parts on hand.
I would agree to a point - but contracting is going on full tilt around here. I am a big DIY person but I'm not going to the hardware store or Lowes....just not worth the risk.

They could set up a delivery service....also, if the shops stayed open (and they do) they could limit the people walking in (every X seconds, etc.) and also stop taking returns and such things for a short while so they can deal with actual needs.

So far I've been able to do most on Amazon, etc - now I just broke my hammer handle. Maybe I will fashion one out of a stick of wood here or order a steel or FG hammer on Amazon.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:21 PM

42,661 posts, read 17,872,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Liquor stores around here are not small BevMos. They are mini markets and convince stores which also sell hard liquor
Several states are allowing curbside pickup of alcohol, beer, wine. Closed containers only and you must show your DL when paying.

Old 03-23-2020, 02:33 PM

6,294 posts, read 2,855,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Alcoholics need alcohol to avoid potentially lethal withdrawal symptoms. .
In VT they are letting them do take-out and delivery. Ostensibly to help the bars, not the boozers. I hate druggies.

Vermont allows alcohol takeout and delivery to help bars and restaurants
https://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ry/2878249001/

Old 03-23-2020, 02:34 PM

36,856 posts, read 17,304,172 times
You can also play the state lottery at many liquor stores.

The government definitely wants to keep that revenue stream open.

Funny though, some states have closed the payout offices. Sort of an IOU system.

Florida is one such state.

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/2...-will-continue

So keep playing, America. If you win the offices may reopen and the government may have the money to pay you if you win.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies