Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-11-2020, 01:27 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,102,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Outside of the hype, it's not that different from other state "stay at home" orders.

You can still go outside for activities as long as you maintain social distance (exercise, etc.). I'm pretty sure you can still go outside in order to go shopping for food or other essential activities. There's no social gatherings of any size in public. You can go home to home for specific needs like caring for family member.

https://www.freep.com/story/news/loc...er/5125426002/
In other words it's just a common sense order. Of course, that's the difficulty. In a country that's very individual-centric when the government tells you to not be an idiot it's (a) not well received and (b) not really enforceable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2020, 01:49 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,806,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Fauci said the Coronavirus was no worse than the flu in January

Pelosi was telling people to congregate in Chinatown

But obviously only Drumpf wasn’t taking it seriously while everyone else knew the truth right?

Also what other leaders are you talking about? Italy? Spain? Germany where apparently 70% of people could become infected?
Your misread my post. I never said anything about Pelosi or Fauci in it. I was discussing US governors and President Trump.

If you had read my next post, you would have seen I mentioned South Korea. Let's not forget that the US was the best prepared country. Trump was correct about this.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:44 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
"What do you do with parents who both have to work and cannot work from home online? You want one of them to quit their jobs (no money coming in) and stay home with a 6 year old who cannot spend all day alone? There are a lot of grandparents now babysitting while parents are working."

There are a lot of grandparents catching a fatal disease from their non-symptomatic children and grandchildren too. This is EXACTLY how it happens - not the rare case - but the common case.

Parents "must" go to work - fetch the virus there from someone showing no symptoms - give it to the kids - now the grandparents have it. Your choice to "quit your job" or not - but that's the seriousness of the situation. If this were MY situation - I'd move the kids in with gramma for the duration, and not see them til it's over. Problem solved.

Old 04-11-2020, 02:57 PM

15,821 posts, read 6,527,022 times
It's not all that different from what other states are doing. I'm not sure what good the restriction on travel between residences would do though. People can't visit their vacation home on the lake?

Old 04-11-2020, 02:59 PM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
To think, if the democrats never bothered with their BS impeachment scandal, then the leaders would have been onto this virus a long time ago instead of trying to get rid of Trump and Trump trying to defend himself. In fact, I find the timing of the impeachment and now the news being nothing but the Coronavirus a bit odd.
Real leaders can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Trump can't.

Old 04-11-2020, 03:56 PM

995 posts, read 509,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
$1000 fine for visiting your sister. Everyone in Michigan is under house arrest.
How in the heck is that enforced? Seriously, what's to stop someone from hopping on I-75 north and go wherever? How would anyone know? And not being able to take a motorboat out to fish? I thought Michigan was fishing central - have the protests started yet?

Thank goodness I live in a state with a reasonable governor.

I think this order has not only nixed her chances of being VP, she's gonna get clobbered in the next election.

Old 04-11-2020, 05:32 PM

4,022 posts, read 1,872,571 times
Um...isn't it the same(-ish) in Georgia?

If you violate any of the terms of the order, you are committing a misdemeanor, which is a crime in the state of Georgia. For example, if you are not sheltering in place and none of the for exceptions for Essential Services, Necessary Travel, Critical Infrastructure, or Minimum Basic Operations applies to your activities, you will receive a warning from law enforcement and risk facing criminal charges if you fail to comply

Old 04-11-2020, 05:36 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Don't try to lump Trump into that group of losers. Trump was the one that took heat for putting a travel ban on China back in January. The rest of the political hacks and the media were spouting (paid) Chicom talking points. It's been acknowledged by all but a few total partisan leftist hacks that that decision likely saved thousands of American lives. Meanwhile, Europe allowed travel to flow unrestricted, and paid a heavy price as a result.

Don't forget to include Pelosi and AOC, who were encouraging Americans to visit Chinatown and calling Americans racist for not eating enough Chinese food. I'm sure they are on the Chicom payroll as well.
Trump was extremely late to the game.

First - he didn't ban ALL travel from China. At least 40,000 from China came in AFTER that travel ban.

Second - once his administration knew the virus could be transmitted from those with no symptoms - Trump was still giving us all 'happy talk' about how maybe 5 people had it and then it will be one, blah blah blah.

So yeah - Trump is lumped in with the rest.

Old 04-11-2020, 06:27 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,093,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Trump was extremely late to the game.

First - he didn't ban ALL travel from China. At least 40,000 from China came in AFTER that travel ban.

Second - once his administration knew the virus could be transmitted from those with no symptoms - Trump was still giving us all 'happy talk' about how maybe 5 people had it and then it will be one, blah blah blah.

So yeah - Trump is lumped in with the rest.
Guess he should have went against the beloved Fauci who said the virus was not a problem

Old 04-11-2020, 08:44 PM

35,002 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://www.theblaze.com/news/2020/0...mpression=true

Wonder how that would be enforced though
This is imprisonment. For what are we being punished?
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
She's a demonstrated incompetent governor. Desperate actions, late in the game, won't repair her reputation. In fact, this is not a practical solution to anything, because as you point out OP, this is not enforceable.
It's extremely enforceable, at least where driving is needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies