Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 11:27 PM

29,823 posts, read 24,908,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
20% of coronavirus patients require hospitalization. The fatality rate is only lower because those severe cases received prompt medical attention.

If we just let hospitals become overwhelmed to the point of no longer functioning for most, the fatality rate would be a lot closer to 20%. Not to mention all the other deaths due to no one else being able to access medical care.

There won't be a vaccine on the market for at least 18 months after discovery, so don't hold your breath on that.

They wouldn't just keep throwing them in hospitals. If things got bad, they would be building tents or field hospitals, using stadiums, doing whatever it takes. ICU space is very limited, and it takes very little to overwhelm them. Expecting hospitals to deal with all the cases would be irresponsible. THAT is when government is needed. We can get the military involved with transporting people, setting up field hospitals if necessary to handle temporary overflow from ordinary medical infrastructure.

We definitely don't need government and the lame stream media scaring the wits out of people and locking them in their homes, for a virus with a low mortality rate. They weren't trying to scare people after 9/11. They weren't freaking people out about the risk of more attacks. There were messages of hope and unity everywhere.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:35 AM

11,122 posts, read 5,590,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That's where this is all headed, if the wrong people get in power in the not to distant future.

The wrong people are mostly in control of the federal government now. So we can look forward to a big change, when the right people are mostly in power.

Old 03-24-2020, 12:57 AM

24,630 posts, read 9,458,962 times
Ofcourse it’s going to flatten, it’s not as deadly as the flu. Trump has already talking about opening the economy again very soon.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:13 AM

5,842 posts, read 4,174,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
Here are the Italy numbers over the last 3 days, the deaths have gone from 793 to 651 to 601, they are trending downward, have they truly peaked, I hope, but it's still probably too early to tell. If the deaths are less than 601 tomorrow, then that would be a great sign.

2 days ago:

New Cases: +6,557

New Deaths: +793

Yesterday:

New Cases: +5,560

New Deaths: +651

Today:

New Cases: +4,789

New Deaths: +601
Deaths run on about a two week lag. That means the deaths we are seeing today are from cases that originated two weeks ago. Italy's cases have increased 167% over the last two weeks. That projects them to be at roughly 1600 deaths per day in two weeks.

The death "leveling" over the last two days is just noise....assuming they didn't suddenly get better at treating it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
The deaths have been decreasing too. Today, fewer cases and fewer deaths than yesterday. Yesterday, fewer cases and deaths than the day before. The trend is clear.
Two days is not a meaningful trend.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
It looks like mid May is correct. As long as we stay the course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill_Schramm View Post
This is actually very close to the pattern in Wuhan. I believe they have peaked. Since yesterday I have been predicting that we will be mainly through this here in the US. by mid-May —- if we stay the course and don’t give up on the lockdowns too soon.

You guys might be interested in a long post I did over on the investing forum....about half of it digs into when we could expect things to peak here. Long story short, if Italy peaked right now (in terms of case load, which is just a guess), we have about seven weeks until we are back down to the level we are at now (on the other side of the "hill"). That's about mid-May.

I would be cautious in drawing conclusions from Wuhan's trajectory, though. China was FAR more aggressive with shutdowns than we have been or will be.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/inve...rediction.html

Old 03-24-2020, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikari_Warrior_Danju View Post
I have never, ever seen so many people be so happy, willing and throwing themselves at the government to take care of and fix everything. I understand that the government has its place. I'm not an "anti-government" person, we need laws, governing and boundaries BUT I also believe that freedom also comes with personal responsibility. And the situation we are in, shows just how incapable many are when it comes to personal responsibility. And I see this much more so in big liberal cities. Where people just want more and more and more government and less and less and less personal responsibility. That's quite disturbing to me!
Governments exist for this very sort of thing. We need widespread, coordinated cooperation to stop this thing.

Think about it: In the past, when governments had less ability and less tendency to intervene, did these sorts of pandemics kill more or fewer people? More...many more.

Governments are able to force large numbers of people to pursue a particular strategy, and even if that is not the most ideal strategy, it is likely better than what 300 million individuals with varying levels of intelligence and knowledge would end up doing on their own.

Old 03-24-2020, 01:36 AM

73,012 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
another 10 days and we'll be preparing to go back to work.
I hope so. Technically, I haven't been laid off, but the kind of work I do, a layoff could happen. With the damage that has been done to the economy, alot of people could be down for a while. This is what I am seeing around me. Streets that are basically dead after 5pm because the bars can't function like they normally would. People go to bars to be social. Can't do that right now and alot of money is being lost. Many people haven't stopped working. However, there is alot of damage that has been done.

Old 03-24-2020, 03:00 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
The wrong people are mostly in control of the federal government now. So we can look forward to a big change, when the right people are mostly in power.
The only right person in power is you of yourself. Period.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let's talk about balance here.

Testing is ramping up in the US, becoming more efficient. In two-three weeks, testing should be widespread to the point where - in conjunction with reported cases, hospitalization rates and deaths - enough data is collected to be able to pinpoint hotspots, vectors of outbreak, the most vulnerable sectors of the population, etc. Also more and more hospitals should be receiving enough personal protection equipment, especially those in the most affected areas. Of course not every single hospital will be fully equipped to everyone's satisfaction and the massbackwards media will magnify those cases and keep quiet on cases where things are going reasonably well.

In the meantime, lock downs for at least three weeks in counties and States that need it, by discretion of county and State decision-makers, longer if necessary where necessary, even if that means two months or so.

I could also understand some restrictions on inter-State travel for a while: for example, Governor De Santis of Florida has recently ordered anyone flying from New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut to Florida to be placed under a mandatory 14-day quarantine.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Italy has a population of around 60M - not 330M, not 1.4Bn - densely concentrated in urban areas where not uncommonly three generations live together in relatively small dwellings. By far, most cases are concentrated in one region, Lombardia, capital Milan, Italy's business and international travel center, including many Chinese textile and other businesses, with Chinese nationals who traveled from and back to Italy, through Milan, over the year-end break and into January.

Italy has been on maximum lock down for about two weeks now, not yet three full weeks. As some have mentioned, over the past three-four days, the quantity of new cases and deaths has leveled off, perhaps even tapering off. The Italians will probably need another two-three weeks of maximum lock down. Many regions of central and especially southern Italy are doing relatively well in terms of few cases.

About two days ago the Italian National Health Institute issued a report on CoViD-19 deaths in Italy.

In summary, so far most of the people who died:

1) 70-90 years old;

2) pre-existing high blood pressure, some kind of heart disease or fillibration, diabetes, chronic kidney failure, plus others, in that order, and/or a combination of two or three of those comorbidities;

3) most common symptoms leading to hospitalization were fever and trouble breathing;

4) median of 8 days from onset of symptoms to death;

5) median of 4 days from hospitalization to death;

6) most of the people under 50 who have died also had comorbidities.

In short, mainly elderly people already with mainly cardiovascular disease with fever and trouble breathing for four days at home rushed to the hospital and dying after four days.

This report doesn't say how many of these types the medical staff were able to save with oxygen masks and ventilators.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coming back to the US, at some point, indeed the cure is worse than the disease. The worst affected areas will probably reach the balancing point between the two in two-three weeks, if State and local officials - but mostly the people individually one-by-one - implement the lock down as they should.

Even now and going forward (say three more weeks), less affected areas need and will need fewer restrictive measures.

I know most people, especially in this the Political Theater and Other Forms of Cheap Entertainment forum, have trouble breaking out of the strait jacket of two dimensional thinking (stupid ideologies, selfish partisanship, deceiving either/or propositions. etc.)

But fact is many human beings are quite capable of walking and chewing gum at the same time, much to the chagrin of those strait-jacketed two-dimensional thinkers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One last thing, actually a question, in reference to the Italian report that doesn't mention how many of the typical CoViD-19 patients the medical staff were able to save with oxygen masks and ventilators.

I could be wrong, but my understanding is, regardless of CoViD-19, that a person sick enough to need a ventilator (a breathing machine with tubes down the trachea forcing air into the lungs) probably has a low survival rate anyway, especially if elderly with comorbidities. And if one survives, for how long and what quality of life?

Again, I could be wrong, but even if we quickly retool factories, the manufacture of hundreds of thousands of new ventilators, inspecting them and distributing them could take many months, even a year, not days or weeks.

At the very least, well worth the industrial exercise if carried out on US soil and a bit of theater.

The Italian economy is not robust enough to support a ventilator manufacturer. The best they have been able to do in recent weeks is have Ferrari retool its factories to produce some ventilator parts.

In short, no ventilators are produced on Italian soil. In fact, Italy's industrial base has been severely under-invested for the past thirty years since the onset of globalization and their best and brightest, going on three generations now, have moved to other countries like Germany, France, Netherlands, UK, US, Australia, Canada, roughly in that order. Italians on Italian soil have very little chance of recovering in the next thirty years from the short-sighted and selfish policy blunders that their septuagenarian and octogenarian decision-makers made some thirty years ago and ongoing.

This is a golden opportunity for the US to avoid a similar syndrome.

Good Luck!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P.S. This post, and the entire thread, will get buried and lost because most people do not care about Italy, understandable. By the same token, most people did not care about Mussolini (or Salazar or Franco) until Hitler came along and made them care.

Just sayin'.

Last edited by bale002; 03-24-2020 at 03:33 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 04:32 AM

2,391 posts, read 1,406,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
Deaths run on about a two week lag. That means the deaths we are seeing today are from cases that originated two weeks ago. Italy's cases have increased 167% over the last two weeks. That projects them to be at roughly 1600 deaths per day in two weeks.

The death "leveling" over the last two days is just noise....assuming they didn't suddenly get better at treating it.

Two days is not a meaningful trend.
Two days is not a meaningful trend when it happens out of the blue. It is a meaningful trend when it happens exactly when epidemiologists predicted it would happen — two to three weeks after the beginning of their lockdown.... and the drops were large .. and there were no other large drops in the new death counts two days in a row before this.

Also, this is exactly what happened when China started reporting lower numbers. No one believed it at first, but sure enough ...

Last edited by Jill_Schramm; 03-24-2020 at 04:42 AM..

Old 03-24-2020, 04:43 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Many countries have been expecting herd immunity to eventually take care of this. A vaccine would be nice, but it may not even be necessary if enough people become immune and the virus dissipates or dies out. But in the time leading up to that, thousands may die and it may temporarily overwhelm the medical system, as we have seen happen all over the world. That's nature. Man might think he owns earth and can write his own destiny, but sometimes, mother nature throws a surprise our way to show us who is really in charge here.

The question is, if fewer and fewer people are pouring into the hospitals, are governments going to suddenly crawl back into the shadows, or are they going to use the perceived threat of this virus to strip the people of rights and freedoms, as so many are currently demanding they do?
Great post
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies