Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2020, 07:56 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,357,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I was going to griffith but on the weekend people poured in. So it was a bad time to be out. Everyone has the same idea unfortunately.
I can imagine.

If there are any tourists still here it's the only place they can go with everything shut down.

26,211 posts, read 19,516,181 times
My employer has not closed, and probably won't. I still have to work 40 hours a week. My employer said that we can opt out with a note from the doctor that says we don't feel safe working and go on disability, but no one at work has come down with the virus, so I'm not considering that, unless it is contracted by a co-worker, then I'll consider it.

35,691 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Set up laptop- etc on kitchen table and put in my hours. Nice thing, is catching up with old projects. Nobody around to bother me. I sit in my balcony every day to catch the breeze and some sun. Downside - I hope not in the fridge too much. Need food to last, and not on my waist. I’m getting paid / I worry about grands.

Old 03-23-2020, 07:57 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecko_complex24 View Post
It's not so bad. I have to go into work too. I'm a blue collar worker as well. Honestly, I would be bored to work from home, I love going on my runs to the buildings I maintain. I never have to put wear and tear on my own car for work. If one can do their job from a computer, so can someone else halfway across the world. There are pros and cons to every field.
I like that I can still work, as I don't really have any savings right now. My point was this bubble that white collar workers live in where they seem to think everyone works on a computer in an office and can do it from home, just because they and the people they know do. It's a confirmation bias

Old 03-23-2020, 07:59 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,604,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by No_Recess View Post
How are you going to social distance on your run here in L.A.? There's still people crawling all over this place.

Or are you going to drive up to the hills/mountains?

I drive up to Los Leones Canyon Trailhead for my runs. There aren't many people up there during non-pandemic conditions. It's probably desolate now.

Still, I'm just using the elliptical and doing sit-ups/push-ups/light (very light) weights in the apartment.
Good idea. If LA cops see you running down a city street, you may get shot.

Chicano, we're all working from home now and many of us resorted to staying inside and not going out in crowds even before the Governor mandated it.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 PM

30,362 posts, read 19,149,932 times
Wife and I are retired. We are self isolating so very hard to not see grandkids. Otherwise lots of video and calls with family. Going to get boring.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:00 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Mainly home anyways. Husband is around all day working from home. I'm glad for him -- showing it can be done so maybe we can start more of a shift to doing that.

My son is living with us (we are quite happy -- two others have long flown the coop ro far off places and we miss them and their partners terribly). He's in retail and working most days. He's good company & a resource for supplies if we need be.

I don't stay home completely -- three days ago i did a garden center and wine/beer run.

tomorrow I'm going to COSTCO. I'm an old lady -- 61 so i get in early. My son's store lets him go in an hour before store opens for supplies.

We are set. I'm sure it isn't good my son comes in and out...but we wash hands and try our best to keep space.

My friend who is a doctor asked for our help to get her personal supplies today -- toilet paper, wipes and a digital thermometer. We got her the toilet paper, gave her some of my wipes (I don't have much but can share). She found a thermometer. She's not able to get to the stores to fight for the toilet paper and such.

Do you think people will stop hoarding.

Think about it -- folks won't be shopping for weeks now -- that's not going to bounce back the economy.
I'm not opposed to that in theory, but I am curious as to the health affects and impact on productivity that such an arrangement would have in practice before I'd actually support such a move. Americans are fat enough already. Leaving them home to work will only increase bad habits I wager. And the jury would still be out on impact to productivity as I mentioned also.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:03 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,634,573 times
Almost witnessed an altercation at the post office. Posted signs said maintain 6 feet social distance, so everyone is spaced 6 feet apart in line. Three individuals back I hear a guy telling someone to “back away”, then yelling “get the f away from me” and loudly asking for the manager. The offender, an older AH looking dimwit, replied “may the lord flee the fear in your heart” to the guy wanting him to keep his distance. He finally backed away as by now everyone was staring at him. Completely selfish, uncaring and idiotic know it all attitude helps perpetuate epidemics like this.

Old 03-23-2020, 08:03 PM

9,980 posts, read 5,677,344 times
First they told me to work from home. Then they told me there's no more work to do until further notice. Yay collapsing economy...

Old 03-23-2020, 08:04 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,531,232 times
Other then laid off it’s going okay more or less trying to figure out pay what bills we do have it’s nice to be home. This week it’s supposed to rain thought I’d get some hiking in but it doesn’t look very good for that.
Wish I was working , we’ve been slowly working on our house doing some much needed work on it. Can’t do that on unemployment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies