Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2020, 02:21 PM

989 posts, read 452,672 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma21 View Post
If there is a way to open up the country and the cases and mortality rate continues to go down would you then agree it was a good idea?
Not here but it seems like people on FB seem to enjoy this. The unknown, not having to go to work.

On another note, do you agree closing down the border early on did help it not spread as fast.

First, we need to see the cases go down. They are escalating in my world. What's the count in your world?

Yes, if the count starts to go down, then we need to open up into easing back out.

Also, no one closed down the border "early." Please cite your reference for that.

I'm afraid you are still erroneously referring to cutting off Chinese tourism to the states in late January which was not "early." Early would have been in December when it was raging there. Oh, what was done on 31 January should have been much more strict.

So what border closed early?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2020, 02:22 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,761,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma21 View Post
If there is a way to open up the country and the cases and mortality rate continues to go down would you then agree it was a good idea?
Not here but it seems like people on FB seem to enjoy this. The unknown, not having to go to work.

On another note, do you agree closing down the border early on did help it not spread as fast.
If there was a way to do that then sure, but stopping all precautions and letting the virus run wild is not that. We are going to have a health catastrophe of epic proportions and Trump's base is going to be hit the hardest.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:24 PM

19,573 posts, read 8,469,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
If there was a way to do that then sure, but stopping all precautions and letting the virus run wild is not that. We are going to have a health catastrophe of epic proportions and Trump's base is going to be hit the hardest.
As you know very well, nobody is proposing stopping all precautions. But shutting down our entire society for an extended period of time is arguably as bad or worse than the virus. A balance must be achieved here. It is not just one or the other.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:27 PM

72,846 posts, read 62,260,541 times
I want to see things go back to normal as soon as possible. The way things have been going, it's been costly. And people are still getting sick. How long do we need to stay down? How much is it going to cost? How much should we be willing to give up. There are people going home without jobs left and right. The economy has taken a major hit.

This is the thing. I'm sick of living day to day. I'm sick of the uncertainty. I never know what is going on. What I'm hearing is 15 days, and then I hear sometime by Easter. I don't know how long we're going to have to remain down. I don't have the money to remain down for MONTHS. I have work now, but if things continue the way they are going now, there could be even more layoffs. It could very well be me.

Here is another thing that is scary. It's hard to tell what is going on. I'm not panic shopping, but I'm panicking for another reason. Uncertainty. I rest alot easier when I know what's going to happen, when it's going to happen, and how it will happen.

1) How do we protect the vulnerable while at the same time, letting the healthy live normal lives? I'm not one of those persons who says "let those old people die". I don't want anyone to die. I do wonder which better ways this could have been handled.

2) How long is this going to last? I am really scared. And not just Covid-19. I'm scared of the possibility of losing my job simply due to lack of work coming in. And Covid-19 has alot to do with it.

3) Not knowing the truth. I'm hearing conflicting reports from all over. The left, the right, everywhere. Only panic everywhere. Panic on one end, arrogance on the other side. What treatments are out there? Do they work? Has this stuff peaked? Is it going down? Is it getting worse? Just more uncertainty, something I don't work well with.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:27 PM

2,495 posts, read 860,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
...and Trump's base is going to be hit the hardest.
What a peculiar thing to be saying.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:28 PM

16,871 posts, read 10,516,933 times
They’re afraid Trump will look good and the economy will rebound.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:29 PM

27,625 posts, read 21,056,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
They’re afraid Trump will look good and the economy will rebound.
The system is broken and not because of the virus. It is being exposed now for the woefully broken corrupted system it is. But feel free to move about freely as long as you only come in direct contact with your family after you do.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:30 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,761,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
As you know very well, nobody is proposing stopping all precautions. But shutting down our entire society for an extended period of time is arguably as bad or worse than the virus. A balance must be achieved here. It is not just one or the other.
I think if everyone adheres to social distancing and simply stays at home until Easter, we could perhaps have flattened the curve and be on a roadmap to returning to normal. However, people cannot think that they can get out and live their normal routines now because if people don't stay home, that won't be enough time.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:32 PM

72,846 posts, read 62,260,541 times
No one is benefiting from any of this confusion and uncertainty, so why not aim for actually KNOWING when this will cool down, how it will cool down, and when we can go back to normal? It does no one any good for the economy to tank and for millions to be jobless, in addition to being sick.

Old 03-24-2020, 02:34 PM

15,831 posts, read 21,343,774 times
I count myself fortunate to be surrounded by people - including my employer - who took this seriously early before any mandatory shut downs. Most of my social circle has been socially isolating for 2 weeks.

No one is happy about this. No one wants the economy to crash. No one is thrilled to be at home. Sure, some people are very loudly making the best of it, but if all the free content being created by artists, musicians, yoga instructors, etc. is any indication, most people want to be productive.

We all want this over as soon as safely possible without throwing out our elderly, people with preexisting conditions, medical staff, and simply people with bad luck out with the bathwater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies