Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 03:36 AM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times

Advertisements

I do find it interesting how the liberals and Democrats were all caught up over the allegedly attacks on civil liberties after 9-11, even though that just meant Arabs and Muslims were scrutinized a bit more at airports. Now entire businesses are forced to close, people forced off the streets in some states etc and the left is okay with that.

Even though given the circumstances I wouldn't be against a total lockdown of New York City, with the bridges and tunnels closed to enforce a full quarantine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 03:42 AM

21,430 posts, read 7,452,732 times
Is anybody else having a problem with the power grabs under guise of emergency powers?

No. I don't want to be exposed to this virus, at least until there may be a vaccine ready. Not sure how that will play out.

The states are not taking these decisions lightly, this is not the direction anyone would prefer to go in. It is done for our well being.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:57 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,469,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperboleisaliveandwell View Post
So would be preventing people from driving (3000 deaths daily), preventing people from eating out (5000 deaths annually from food borne illnesses)....should I go on? How far would you like to take this?
Much like the gun guys comparing mass murders and swimming pool deaths.

Old 03-25-2020, 03:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I do find it interesting how the liberals and Democrats were all caught up over the allegedly attacks on civil liberties after 9-11, even though that just meant Arabs and Muslims were scrutinized a bit more at airports .
I find it interesting that you seem to see nothing wrong with racial profiling and prejudging people based upon their [supposed] religion.

How would you feel if the government started targeting the racial and religious profile of Timothy McVeigh, or Ted Kaczynski the Unabomber? Some would say that was crazy and unnecessarily broad targeting, placing an entire large part of the population under suspicion for a coincidence of nature.

Old 03-25-2020, 04:02 AM

Quote:
So would be preventing people from driving (3000 deaths daily), preventing people from eating out (5000 deaths annually from food borne illnesses)....should I go on? How far would you like to take this?
You may be as silly as you want. It's a free country.

In the meantime our hospitals are on the verge of being overwhelmed and I don't want to be in one on a day they are short of ventilators, or pain killers, or even beds...

Old 03-25-2020, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
You may be as silly as you want. It's a free country.

In the meantime our hospitals are on the verge of being overwhelmed and I don't want to be in one on a day they are short of ventilators, or pain killers, or even beds ...
Quote:
Nothing silly about it.
Same response. Can't answer the question, so let's deflect.
It was a perfect answer. Direct and to the point.

Read the transcript.

Old 03-25-2020, 05:58 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 10 hours ago)

27,160 posts, read 13,444,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lycanmaster View Post
"Never let a good crisis go to waste" is infamous for a reason...

And not just the US, but other countries like the UK, France, Spain, India, even Israel...
Legislation in the UK has to be automatically debated and voted on by parliament every 6 months in order than the legislation is accountable and under constant review by the legislator.

Coronavirus: What's in the emergency legislation? - BBC News

Old 03-25-2020, 06:25 AM

24,401 posts, read 23,056,554 times
Pa just allowed gun stores to remain open so those thinking about declaring martial law had better re consider it.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:32 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,913,300 times
I am amazed at how people have just rolled over and given up their freedoms in the Bill of Rights. My guess is that these governors and mayors have no legal authority to close businesses and churches. But this is nothing new Lincoln suspended many rights during the civil war. The President for years has been given powers far beyond what the constitution allows. People are sheep.

Old 03-25-2020, 06:34 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,500,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
Pa just allowed gun stores to remain open so those thinking about declaring martial law had better re consider it.
Your pa must have a lot of authority!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies