Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 01:11 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,712,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Thats why mail in votes are so important. It's hard for the dead to get out.
In Kentucky, many years ago, the dead voted in person. I saw the photos in the Louisville Courier Journal of the gravestones next to the "signatures" on election rolls. Since that precinct went 100% Republican, I doubt it was done by a Dem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 01:11 PM

5,104 posts, read 2,050,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The GOP cannot win when voting is easy and accessible. Big voter turnout is their enemy and mail in voting will obliterate them.
You mean the Dems will try anything to keep their stronghold forever even if a possible Demexit could happen?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY_t0y2ysME

Weird then in Canada we still come to the voting booth and using a pencil to decide which candidate we vote instead of a voting machine.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
No. We need to make the act of voting more thoughtful and intentional, not less so.

Look at all these stupid petitions floating around on the internet, thoughtless, useless ideas that get thousands of signatures from people who are sitting in their living rooms clicking on stuff they know nothing about.

I personally think when you go vote, you should have to type in the name of the person you're voting for. And in the propositions, it should say Prop #____ and you should have to type that in. Misspellings can be handled by a google type format, where if you misspell it or put in the wrong prop number, a prompt, "did you mean" will come up. Of course, you can take your notes into the booth - no need to memorize all the candidates.

Way too many people go to vote for something they care about and know about, and end up voting for all those judges and commissioners and school board candidates where they have zero input and they just pick a name that sounds good to them, or a gender.

You should have put some knowledge into the game to be able to vote, IMHO.
The entire world votes on what a few say louder than next guy--- how many are scoundrels? If we had REAL vetting, I would feel better - but we don't. So we pray the next guy means what he says. There are NO guarantees your Mr. XYZ with a middle name written in - is not a lying thieving rat. no matter how pretty the suit.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:13 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nell Plotts View Post
First, they are sent to the address at which the voter is registered. The status of the voter is established at the time of registration. The ballot envelope cannot be forwarded. If a voter does not receive their ballot, for example, they moved and didn't inform the Board, they must present themselves in person. The outer envelope must be signed by the voter and that signature is compared to the voter's registration card just as it is done for in-person voting. The envelope must show no sign of tampering.

Weeks in advance of the election each registered voter receives a voter's information book with statements by each candidate and statements by their supporters, and the text of any issues on the ballot as well as statements for and against. Oregon wants a fair election and an informed electorate.

We have been voting by mail for about 20 years. To the best of my knowledge, only a couple of attempts have been made to impersonate a voter.
How does the state/county know who's mailing in ballots?

How are they ensuring that people aren't voting multiple times?

What mechanism is in place to guarantee that ballots aren't counterfeited?

Old 03-25-2020, 01:17 PM

35,693 posts, read 21,049,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
How does the state/county know who's mailing in ballots?

How are they ensuring that people aren't voting multiple times?

What mechanism is in place to guarantee that ballots aren't counterfeited?

In FL don't ever count your mail in gets to it's proper place or even counted--- I rather do a transaction on the phone I can see and get a confirmation. I'd even pay like $5 for the fee

Thousands of mailed ballots in Florida were not counted
Two of Florida's 67 counties had not yet reported their late ballot tallies.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/ele...ounted-n946306

Old 03-25-2020, 01:18 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,379,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I wouldn't.

If your name is attached to the ballot somehow when you mail it in, then you don't have a secret ballot, do you?

I don't know how Oregon and other states handle authentication. I suspect it's pretty lax, though, for the above reason.

Secret ballots are not part of vetting whether you're a legitimate voter or not - which is what I was responding to:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterful_Man View Post
And what systems are in place to confirm that the mail in ballots are from actual US citizens, or from citizens that are still alive & breathing?
If you're worried about your ballot being secret, don't sign up for absentee/mail-in. Simple.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:24 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GABESTA535 View Post
https://twitter.com/RepThomasMassie/...73156776378371

Colorado, Oregon, Washington, and California all allow voting by mail and have had no issues. In fact turnout has increased since it's been allowed. Unless he's saying he prefers lower turnout and discouragement of voting by reducing the opportunity of the people to vote?
I actually think such law would be unconstitutional:

Article II, Section 1
Each State shall appoint, in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a Number of Electors, equal to the whole Number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress...

It's up to each state legislature to decide how to choose their Electors. There is no requirement that they allow the people to vote at all. In the early days, state legislatures chose the electors. I doubt any states would revert to that, but the Federal government has no authority to tell states how to choose their presidential electors.

Old 03-25-2020, 01:28 PM

17,308 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
And that is where the fraud is, no?

So it's about increased fraud and nothing else which you've make up.
No? Seems you're making up concerns about mail in ballots. Several states have been doing that for years, no long history of fraud concerns.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:01 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,862,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
No? Seems you're making up concerns about mail in ballots. Several states have been doing that for years, no long history of fraud concerns.
lol The only one making things up here is you. Yea it's real hard to snag someones mail in, fill it out, and send it in.

Four women who are accused of targeting elderly voters in 2016 were indicted on 30 felony counts of voter fraud and arrested following an investigation by the office of the Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton.

The defendants were members of an organized voter fraud ring and were paid to target elderly voters in certain northern Fort Worth precincts in a scheme to generate large numbers of mail ballots, then harvest those ballots for specific candidates, the office's news release said.

https://www.nbcdfw.com/local/4-indic...scheme/265282/

Move along. Next please.

Old 03-25-2020, 02:04 PM

23,862 posts, read 24,108,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Secret ballots are not part of vetting whether you're a legitimate voter or not - which is what I was responding to:

If you're worried about your ballot being secret, don't sign up for absentee/mail-in. Simple.
Secret ballots are a cornerstone of our Republic.

There should be no mechanism that makes possible the connection between you and your ballot.

I expected that you already understood and agreed with that. Was I wrong?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies