Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 05:35 AM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times

Advertisements

Should be left entirely up to the employers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 05:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Should people who used all their sick time get more because of covid19?
It should be up to their employer, but in age of Trump, the government is making these decisions in their behalf.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:40 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,880,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
One option under current law is the Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA), although certain smaller employers (which would include many smaller restaurants) are exempt.

https://www.dol.gov/general/topic/workhours/fmla

It doesn't provide paid leave, but it does protect the worker's job if an employee or immediate family member gets sick or has a serious health condition that pulls them away from their job.
exactly correct. Many employers also offer disability insurance which would pay you for the time off.

Word to the wise.. Don't abuse your sick time. Someday you will really need it and you won't have any left. Thats when a company can penalize you.

Old 03-26-2020, 05:44 AM

16,083 posts, read 6,848,003 times
Opinion:

Today's pandemic will be tomorrows ordinary and seasonal flu. How does your Employer treat an employee with the flu?

Old 03-26-2020, 06:39 AM

6,984 posts, read 2,705,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
exactly correct. Many employers also offer disability insurance which would pay you for the time off.

Word to the wise.. Don't abuse your sick time. Someday you will really need it and you won't have any left. Thats when a company can penalize you.
I use to work with a guy who would call out sick every time he accrued a day off. People like that are just lazy and a waste of payroll. They are there just to collect a paycheck and not serve the mission of the business.

I have not called out sick in over 30 years.

Old 03-26-2020, 07:05 AM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
The correct answer, for those who are focused on social justice, would be for those who make over $100,000 per year - no.

Everyone else, yes.

Old 03-26-2020, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annandale_Man View Post
I use to work with a guy who would call out sick every time he accrued a day off. People like that are just lazy and a waste of payroll. They are there just to collect a paycheck and not serve the mission of the business.

I have not called out sick in over 30 years.
You have them everywhere. I had one who used to lecture new people. "If you don't use it, you lose it, always take all your sick days." Idiot never advanced above entry level.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:03 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
Opinion:

Today's pandemic will be tomorrows ordinary and seasonal flu. How does your Employer treat an employee with the flu?

In Italy, about 10% of people known to be infected have died. In Iran and Spain, the case fatality rate is higher than 7%. But in South Korea and the U.S. it's less than 1.5%. And in Germany, the figure is close to 0.5%.

So what gives?

The answer involves how many people are tested, the age of an infected population and factors such as whether the health care system is overwhelmed, scientists say.

"Case fatality rates have been very confusing," says Dr. Steven Lawrence, an infectious disease expert and associate professor of medicine at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis. "The numbers may look different even if the actual situation is the same."

So it's likely that the seemingly stark difference between Germany and Italy is misleading and will diminish as scientists get more data, Lawrence says.

__________________________________________________ ___________

In the U.S., it's likely that the case fatality rate from coronavirus will end up somewhere between 0.5% and 1%, once a broad cross-section of the population has been tested, Lawrence says.

But that's no reason for the nation to relax, he adds.

"To put it into perspective, that's 5 to 10 times more fatal than flu," Lawrence says, a disease that kills between 12,000 and 61,000 people a year.

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...n-be-deceiving

So...maybe there's a 1% chance of death for the average person. That's still going to go up a lot if the hospitals run out of room.

I don't know why we'd want to underestimate any new, seemingly quite dangerous diseases. I'm not sure we're actually doing anything more than Italy did at about this stage of its outbreak. We could be doing more. We could be doing less.

Also...I don't want this lasting for two years if at all possible...and if we're sane, we're going to keep the economy locked down for a bare minimum of a couple months until the virus subsides or else all our efforts will be wasted. The less we do now...the longer our economy is going to need to be locked down like it is now.

Yeah...I probably spoke without thinking much. I could understand giving unpaid sick days...but you need to give some kind of additional sick days for dealing with the coronavirus...and with the government having this new law that seems to give businesses tax credits for giving paid 2 weeks sick days, paid sick days sound like a pretty good idea because I don't trust most people to just stay home if they think they might be sick. Supposedly, at least so far, small businesses have an opt out option. It sounds like they shouldn't take that opt out option.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:05 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
You have them everywhere. I had one who used to lecture new people. "If you don't use it, you lose it, always take all your sick days." Idiot never advanced above entry level.
The thing is now...this is a different circumstance. It used to be much less of a gamble. Anyone who does that now is insane. Anyone who used to do it was just taking a bit of a gamble.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
The thing is now...this is a different circumstance. It used to be much less of a gamble. Anyone who does that now is insane. Anyone who used to do it was just taking a bit of a gamble.
Well if they gamble now they deserve their fate LOL. I knew a few people who used to say " Never waste a vacation day when you have a sick day left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies