Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 08:20 PM

15,825 posts, read 6,534,658 times

Advertisements

It's a numbers game, and the goal is to minimize exposure. You can't completely eliminate the risk, but your risk is much lower with take-out. That's exposure to one person instead of fifty. As long as the infection rate is low, you'll get treatment at the hospital if you catch it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 08:26 PM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
It's a numbers game, and the goal is to minimize exposure. You can't completely eliminate the risk, but your risk is much lower with take-out. That's exposure to one person instead of fifty. As long as the infection rate is low, you'll get treatment at the hospital if you catch it.
It's a death sentence for most people over a certain age. I currently live with two of them. Can't completely eliminate the risk, but I can cook instead of risking the death of my mother & mother in law, no matter how low the risk. My convenience for a meal or two isn't worth gambling with their lives.

I'd also have a hard time with it, being nearly 50 and a lifelong smoker. It's killed many who were younger and healthier than I am. My wife has a host of medical issues, not the least of which is bronchitis & asthma.

This thing doesn't sound so bad to the young and healthy. For those over 40 and/or with existing medical issues, it's deadly serious.

ETA - You're right about the risk being much lower, of course. All of that was in response to your last sentence.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:05 PM

17,303 posts, read 12,239,198 times
Recommendations on how to handle bringing food into the house.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:23 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,313,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
It's a death sentence for most people over a certain age. I currently live with two of them. Can't completely eliminate the risk, but I can cook instead of risking the death of my mother & mother in law, no matter how low the risk. My convenience for a meal or two isn't worth gambling with their lives.

I'd also have a hard time with it, being nearly 50 and a lifelong smoker. It's killed many who were younger and healthier than I am. My wife has a host of medical issues, not the least of which is bronchitis & asthma.

This thing doesn't sound so bad to the young and healthy. For those over 40 and/or with existing medical issues, it's deadly serious.

ETA - You're right about the risk being much lower, of course. All of that was in response to your last sentence.
Is coronavirus really that prevalent in Tyler, Texas? You seem to be very worried about this.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:46 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Textbook example of overreaction to the absurd media saturation about this one thing.
Spot on.

Unfortunately I can’t rep you again.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:49 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
But wouldn’t the virus be in the garbage? Couldn’t that still spread through air?
It sounds like the best thing you can do is avoid all contact with people and any substance or surface that has ever had contact with anyone.

Meanwhile, I’m getting take out.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:56 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,208,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
Textbook example of overreaction to the absurd media saturation about this one thing.
I’ve got to say, I’m really surprised to read this comment coming from you.

I am trying to avoid takeout at the moment. I’m cooking my own meals. Whenever I go to the grocery I am super cautious about touching things and when I get home, I wipe down all the groceries in packaging with Lysol, and hand wash with soap all of the produce.

Old 03-25-2020, 09:59 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einhander View Post
So if it’s dangerous why are food places still open?
Too much concern on economic impacts and not enough on public safety.

Our leaders are trying to accomplish both, keeping the public safe, while allowing at least some businesses to remain open...its a BAD decision, that will probably come back to haunt them.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:04 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,589,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
You are not factoring in how people are spreading it, while not knowing they are spreading it...thats the danger and why NO risks should be taken, especially in regards to carry out food.

Isnt this why grocery stores were allowed to stay open, so people could still get food? This doesnt mean EVERYPLACE that sells food needs to stay open during this though! lol There isnt enough customers out and about to support so many food places being open either.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:13 PM

32,060 posts, read 15,055,077 times
We do takeout a few times a week to support our local restaurants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies