Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2020, 10:26 PM

23,623 posts, read 23,932,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Recommendations on how to handle bringing food into the house.
This is almost exactly what I do. Only differences are that I don't/can't leave things outside, so everything comes in same day, he's a bit more organized as far as having a dedicated surface to work on, and I use alcohol for disinfecting the outside of the packages, and either bleach wipes or alcohol spray/wipe for the individual items. I also don't soak my fruit, but that may change - I like his method for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2020, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Is coronavirus really that prevalent in Tyler, Texas? You seem to be very worried about this.
I shouldn't be worried about my mother? WTF?

And yes, I am worried about it. I understood how contagious this was months ago, and how strongly it affected people. While you all were ignoring it in China, I was paying attention.

My county had its first death this morning. Yes. I'm worried about it, because there's a sea of people out there spreading it who have no idea they've even been exposed. The numbers you see are confirmed cases, remember. It's not the number infected. The math on this bug is awful.

So again, yes, I'm worried about it. You should be, too. You'll understand why by watching NYC over the next two weeks.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:34 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,588,760 times
Safest thing to get is a pizza. Tell them not to cut it. (You will have to call and remind them because the guys manning the oven are like robots. Pizza comes out, they cut it).Not the end of the world if they forget to not cut it. Just a little more difficult. When you bring it home or it is delivered, carefully take it out of the box and place the pizza into your already preheated 475'F oven. Cook for about 5 extra minutes. Discard the box in the trash. Disinfect counter box was sitting on.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:35 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,483,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

And yes, I am worried about it. I understood how contagious this was months ago, and how strongly it affected people. While you all were ignoring it in China, I was paying attention.

My county had its first death this morning. Yes. I'm worried about it, because there's a sea of people out there spreading it who have no idea they've even been exposed. The numbers you see are confirmed cases, remember. It's not the number infected. The math on this bug is awful.

So again, yes, I'm worried about it. You should be, too.
Its also important to remember, the 'confirmed number' of cases is only from those who have been tested...they have NO idea how many are out there, that have it and are spreading it, that have not been tested!!

I think peoples jaws are going to hit the floor in a couple weeks, when 1000s of people start showing up sick.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:37 PM

300 posts, read 147,656 times
Quote:

So again, yes, I'm worried about it. You should be, too.
People like Fat Lou are the greatest risk to spreading the virus. Sort of like those irresponsible kids on the beach at spring break. It's irresponsible and reckless.

So far for the last two weeks I vowed to eat only whatever is left in the pantry until we're hopefully on the downside of the pandemic. Today I was craving McD's but I wondered the same thing. Just how risky is it. Best to err on the side of caution.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
Too much concern on economic impacts and not enough on public safety.

Our leaders are trying to accomplish both, keeping the public safe, while allowing at least some businesses to remain open...its a BAD decision, that will probably come back to haunt them.
Closing down all sources of food would also guarantee extreme civil unrest, and fast.

Keeping the grocery stores and drive thrus open isn't about the economy.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:44 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,483,538 times
Quote:
Closing down all sources of food would also guarantee extreme civil unrest, and fast.

Keeping the grocery stores and drive thrus open isn't about the economy.
They are not closing all food sources down, thats why grocery stores are one of the essential businesses. Do we really need to risk it having EVERY restaurant open its drive thru and carry out when all grocery stores are open and have plenty of food?

Just last week people were complaining about being out of work and not being able to pay their bills...how can they afford carry out when they have no money for bills? LOL If they went to a grocery store, they could get a pound of lunch meat, loaf of bread and they would be set for a few days, without spending all their money on carry out.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
Safest thing to get is a pizza. Tell them not to cut it. (You will have to call and remind them because the guys manning the oven are like robots. Pizza comes out, they cut it).Not the end of the world if they forget to not cut it. Just a little more difficult. When you bring it home or it is delivered, carefully take it out of the box and place the pizza into your already preheated 475'F oven. Cook for about 5 extra minutes. Discard the box in the trash. Disinfect counter box was sitting on.
^^^^ This is about as low risk as prepared food delivery is going to get.

Old 03-25-2020, 10:54 PM

6,329 posts, read 3,588,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC76-81 View Post
Remember the good old days when all we had to worry about was someone taking a sip or a few fries before delivering the food & drink?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT1l6_YkwuU
I mean you are just asking for it if you get any kind of drink delivered to you.

Even with food I refuse to get it delivered outside of pizza. I know a pizza guy could always screw with your pizza but most the time I pick the pizza up myself. But at least with pizza the guy actually works for the pizza company so their is at least maybe an ounce of oversight on who the guy is.

With door dash, uber eats and all these other companies nobody knows who these people are. Until restaurants come up with their own tamper proof custody sealed food containers I won't be using those services.

Old 03-25-2020, 11:02 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,146,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill the Butcher View Post
I mean you are just asking for it if you get any kind of drink delivered to you.

Even with food I refuse to get it delivered outside of pizza. I know a pizza guy could always screw with your pizza but most the time I pick the pizza up myself. But at least with pizza the guy actually works for the pizza company so their is at least maybe an ounce of oversight on who the guy is.

With door dash, uber eats and all these other companies nobody knows who these people are. Until restaurants come up with their own tamper proof custody sealed food containers I won't be using those services.
I was a pizza delivery driver for 4 years when I was in college. I never once even remotely thought about “screwing” with someone’s order and nobody I worked with ever did. The cook makes the pizza and puts it in a box. You deliver the box and hope to get a tip. I never so much as opened a pizza box during my long (and I must say, fairly lucrative) tenure as a pizza delivery driver.

It’s not like a drive through where you can be a jerk and **** off the person who is making the food and then you run the risk they will “screw” with it. With pizza delivery, if you’re a jerk, the delivery driver probably won’t know it until after they’ve handed the pizza to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies