Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2020, 12:21 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Retired View Post
The following is only my opinion:
I didn't care that the town drunk was the only one who could fix my car.
In the end he kept my car running for years why all the other geniuses said I need
to junk it................R.I.P. This shot's for you.........

Trump 2020 Landslide..................
I up-voted this if only for the inadvertent acknowledgement that a comparison can be made between Trump* and the town drunk...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Myghost View Post
HE certainly acts that way sometimes. Especially if you (like him) consider "the golf course' to be "the office".
So what do you want ? Him on the golf course or in the WH ?

Old 03-26-2020, 12:22 PM

11,221 posts, read 8,292,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
No, the point is that for some reason, the virus is spreading more in liberal states. In fact, that could make for an interesting thread: why are liberals getting the virus more than conservatives?
It spreads in areas of higher concentration. NYC is our most conentrated city, and it is getting the brunt of it. People on mass transit and sharing elevators and whatnot.

We are seeing a huge spike in NOLA, it is thought it is due to concentration of people due to Mardi Gras.

It's really that simple, and it aligns with what we've been told to expect all along. Spread in less concentrated areas can and will still happen, but certainly not as fast. That is the nature of any exponential growth and the nature of small versus larger populations of subjects.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:25 PM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Nobody else would have been telling the nation six weeks ago that this would magically disappear. Poof! It's all going away, folks. Nothing to worry about.

Nobody else who ever sat in the White House was that stupid. Not ever. I didn't think W was all that smart, but he looks like a genius by comparison.

That's pretty much the long and the short of it. There's no disputing Trump sat on this and did nothing for weeks. It's well documented, so there's no argument to be made otherwise.
Nonsense.

The first reaction a good leader would have had would be to limit panic....even if they had to lie in order to attempt to comfort people. Literally anyone in the white house would have done that.

Afterwards you express how serious the problem is and attack it from that direction.

You say he "did nothing", but that's factually inaccurate, while he was downplaying things in an effort to limit panic, he was cutting off travel and working to limit the spread of the virus.

Had he not done that, he'd have been accused of spreading panic which would have led to bad outcomes for many more. As it was, there was panic buying which has led to shortages.

It's a no-win situation and honestly he didn't do that bad. People like you were going to whine and cry no matter what he did, so I'm sorry if I don't value your opinion on this one.

Also, when it comes to handling a crisis like this, local leadership is vastly more important than that from the executive. Local leadership is typically more in touch with what each individual city and state need. For the most part, those local leaders have done a good job with the notable exception of NY.

If not for that one embarrassment of a state blowing the averages, the virus' spread in the US looks VERY different.

19,387 posts, read 6,497,447 times
Quote:
Yeah, Louisiana is one hotbed of liberals all right.
You had to go all the way down to Louisiana, at the #9 spot. The leading states - NY, NJ, CA, WA - are all very liberal. Many liberals just don't follow social distancing rules. I don't know. Or maybe those states skew younger, and the young felt that the rules didn't apply to them. (You saw those photos of the FL beach.) But for whatever reason, it is a FACT that liberal states have been hit much, much harder.

63,919 posts, read 46,707,495 times
Quote:
It's an absolute certainty that if we had almost anyone else in office they would have listened to the experts from the start and taken this seriously and we would be in much better shape right now. Instead we got two months of the big giant ego spouting such nonsense as, nothing to worry about, folks! This is all going to magically disappear!

There is no denying that.
We don’t know how anyone else might have reacted. The scientific core of the Admin would have been the same.

Only thing certain, the rhetoric would have been different. And this comes down to temperament.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:26 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Nobody else would have been telling the nation six weeks ago that this would magically disappear. Poof! It's all going away, folks. Nothing to worry about.

Nobody else who ever sat in the White House was that stupid. Not ever. I didn't think W was all that smart, but he looks like a genius by comparison.

That's pretty much the long and the short of it. There's no disputing Trump sat on this and did nothing for weeks. It's well documented, so there's no argument to be made otherwise.

One so called fact you just presented is easily debunked. I get it, context is tough for some people. The rest is just your opinion.

"(CNN)President Donald Trump expressed optimism Thursday that the novel coronavirus would eventually be contained and eliminated in the United States, even as he acknowledged it could get worse first."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/polit...ear/index.html

Old 03-26-2020, 12:28 PM

8,956 posts, read 2,554,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
You had to go all the way down to Louisiana, at the #9 spot. The leading states - NY, NJ, CA, WA - are all very liberal. Many liberals just don't follow social distancing rules. I don't know. Or maybe those states skew younger, and the young felt that the rules didn't apply to them. (You saw those photos of the FL beach.) But for whatever reason, it is a FACT that liberal states have been hit much, much harder.
Still a bad argument. It's not about liberal vs conservative, it's about population density. Large cities tend to be more left wing and they are also have the most dense populations.

On average, all of them have done well, or as well as could reasonably be expected....except one.

Old 03-26-2020, 12:29 PM

29,443 posts, read 14,623,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbythegreat View Post
Nonsense.

The first reaction a good leader would have had would be to limit panic....even if they had to lie in order to attempt to comfort people. Literally anyone in the white house would have done that.

Afterwards you express how serious the problem is and attack it from that direction.

You say he "did nothing", but that's factually inaccurate, while he was downplaying things in an effort to limit panic, he was cutting off travel and working to limit the spread of the virus.

Had he not done that, he'd have been accused of spreading panic which would have led to bad outcomes for many more. As it was, there was panic buying which has led to shortages.

It's a no-win situation and honestly he didn't do that bad. People like you were going to whine and cry no matter what he did, so I'm sorry if I don't value your opinion on this one.

Also, when it comes to handling a crisis like this, local leadership is vastly more important than that from the executive. Local leadership is typically more in touch with what each individual city and state need. For the most part, those local leaders have done a good job with the notable exception of NY.

If not for that one embarrassment of a state blowing the averages, the virus' spread in the US looks VERY different.
Well stated !

Old 03-26-2020, 12:31 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,561,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
One so called fact you just presented is easily debunked. I get it, context is tough for some people. The rest is just your opinion.

"(CNN)President Donald Trump expressed optimism Thursday that the novel coronavirus would eventually be contained and eliminated in the United States, even as he acknowledged it could get worse first."

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/27/polit...ear/index.html
That's as solid a statement as your local TV weather babe issuing a forecast that your city will eventually have a sunny day but there might be rain before that...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies