Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 12:52 PM

20,102 posts, read 9,015,533 times

Advertisements

this effects my life until the day the restrictions are lifted, then it's back to normal ....30-45 days....meh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2020, 01:05 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,533,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post

The author of OP's original article has clearly never been to a college football game in the south on a perfect October afternoon.

I don't see Americans living this way for indefinitely.

Agreed to some extent. Yet I’m not very social as a whole I have people I work with but I don’t hang out with them after work or anything. Nor would I personally want to while I do have people I like to hang out with, for the most part people annoy the hell out of me. I’m not as social as a I used to maybe it’s my age. I don’t know. Your idea of a football game isn’t appealing to me at all I’m sure other people feel the same way. Me personally I like getting lost in the mountains either by myself or with some friends. Maybe that makes people like me an outcast and that’s okay. Some of us don’t feel the need to interact with others as much.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:31 PM

4,472 posts, read 3,825,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
The author of OP's original article has clearly never been to a college football game in the south on a perfect October afternoon.

I don't see Americans living this way for indefinitely.
This. Eventually people are going to revolt. Which is why we won't be staying like this past the summer.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:39 PM

2,842 posts, read 2,328,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I really appreciate it if Democrats would social distance themselves from my money...
Yeah, because the last two huge bailouts, 2008 and this one, were both signed off on by republican presidents. Honestly, I wish republicans would social distance themselves from my money. I'm tired of them bailing out corporations on my dime.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:26 AM

18,158 posts, read 15,626,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Agreed to some extent. Yet I’m not very social as a whole I have people I work with but I don’t hang out with them after work or anything. Nor would I personally want to while I do have people I like to hang out with, for the most part people annoy the hell out of me. I’m not as social as a I used to maybe it’s my age. I don’t know. Your idea of a football game isn’t appealing to me at all I’m sure other people feel the same way. Me personally I like getting lost in the mountains either by myself or with some friends. Maybe that makes people like me an outcast and that’s okay. Some of us don’t feel the need to interact with others as much.
I am not and never have been any sort of social butterfly. Much prefer the solitude of my desert or mountains to any sort of public gathering.

Many many hours have I wiled away with just the company of my dog and possibly a horse. The 20 years I was married were some of the most miserable of my life. Minus the time with my son. Him being one of very few humans I actually wanted to be around.

This social distance thing hasn't changed my way of doing things much. But even so I'm not willing to give the state long term power such as they are exercising now.

State governors are becoming little Hitlers and they can all kiss my azz! We have gotten through pandemics before and we will get through this one. Without giving government total power over us. Power they are salivating over as they see it being so close to being theirs on a permanent basis.

And people who are soooo scared of this virus they are willing to give up our way of life and cede control of our lives to some government agency are the ones who need to die.

The 1918 pandemic was WAY worse than this will ever be and we returned to normal. And we wont need mandated vaccines and microchips either. Sheesh!! Folks need to get a frigging grip. The government will NOT save us. They are NOT to be trusted....at all.

We are best off if we just go on living. This virus will run its course, humans will develop immunity and carry on. No amount of government control will accomplish a thing. Except putting us in servitude.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:31 AM

89,006 posts, read 44,813,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spot View Post
Yeah, because the last two huge bailouts, 2008 and this one, were both signed off on by republican presidents. Honestly, I wish republicans would social distance themselves from my money. I'm tired of them bailing out corporations on my dime.
At least corporations pay it back, plus interest. Will the people getting the $1,200 stimulus checks be paying it back, with interest?

U.S. Declares Bank and Auto Bailouts Over, and Profitable - NY Times - December 19, 2014

Old 04-11-2020, 08:32 AM

3,372 posts, read 1,565,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NVplumber View Post

State governors are becoming little Hitlers and they can all kiss my azz! We have gotten through pandemics before and we will get through this one. Without giving government total power over us. Power they are salivating over as they see it being so close to being theirs on a permanent basis.

And people who are soooo scared of this virus they are willing to give up our way of life and cede control of our lives to some government agency are the ones who need to die.

Good post, NVplumber. Glad to see you get it. What the hell has America come to? Little soft lemmings sucking their thumbs in the corner with fear letting even smaller bureaucrats and so-called "experts" put them under 24/7 house arrest for the rest of their lives. Truly a sad state of just how soft and weak America has become. Independence and critical thinking skills are now scorned, while servility and the worship of authoritarian bureaucrats are lauded.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,663,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
this effects my life until the day the restrictions are lifted, then it's back to normal ....30-45 days....meh
1. There will be a return on late October/early November. Generally that second phase is worse.

2. The economic impact will last a few years. We are in a "sucker's rally" in the stock market, which will be followed by going below 18,000. Unemployment is at record levels and there is not much money circulating in the economy.

3. A vaccine will potentially be available by Jan 2021.

4. The coronavirus will return every year

5. There will be other "novel" viruses that appear over time.

Old 04-11-2020, 08:40 AM

3,354 posts, read 1,184,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
Good post, NVplumber. Glad to see you get it. What the hell has America come to? Little soft lemmings sucking their thumbs in the corner with fear letting even smaller bureaucrats and so-called "experts" put them under 24/7 house arrest for the rest of their lives. Truly a sad state of just how soft and weak America has become. Independence and critical thinking skills are now scorned, while servility and the worship of authoritarian bureaucrats are lauded.
I am in the house. Not the least bit bothered by lack of constant socialization. I am though against forcing others to live their lives as I do just as much as I'm against others forcing me to live as they do.

Old 04-11-2020, 09:10 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
One year and things will be back to normal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies