Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2021, 12:31 AM

45,676 posts, read 23,984,067 times

Advertisements

There are some critical issues in the world, but day to day life is freak'n amazing. Fewer restrictions and concerts coming up. I'm seeing leaps and bounds to where I was a year ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2021, 01:19 AM

13,633 posts, read 9,691,284 times
Predictions made 15 months ago, in the article cited at the beginning of this thread, have been eerily correct. In hindsight, what is so shocking is not the pessimism of that article, but the fact, that the "new normal" has by so many been embraced as something ranging between acceptable, and outright desirable.

What also shocks me is the almost complete lack of existential despondency, or disregard for life. There are still virus-deniers, just as there are anti-vaxxers. On the other extreme, the hypochondriacs. But nobody in serious quantity is saying, "The virus is real and the threat is real, but ultimately I no longer care. I no longer care if I live or die, if you live or die, or anyone lives or dies." Not as rhetorical ploy, not as provocation, not as a cry for attention, but as basic maxim. Life remains seriously prized; perhaps in selfish ways, but prized nonetheless.

We have had gun-toting provocateurs at statehouse steps, demanding this or that lifting of 'rona restrictions. And then? Some posturing, some photo-ops, some material for u-tube or tick-tock or whatever is the latest fashion, and then... nothing. Just background noise. A nation of actors, a planet of actors, all in on the act.

I am grateful for two things. First, that I'm no longer young. Second, that at least by hearsay, time appears to accelerate as we age. May it accelerate evermore.

Old 05-20-2021, 01:23 AM

24,591 posts, read 9,427,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
I really appreciate it if Democrats would social distance themselves from my money...
Well stated.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:52 AM

4,994 posts, read 1,989,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Social distancing is here to stay for much more than a few weeks. It will upend our way of life, in some ways forever.

To stop coronavirus we will need to radically change almost everything we do: how we work, exercise, socialize, shop, manage our health, educate our kids, take care of family members.

We all want things to go back to normal quickly. But what most of us have probably not yet realized—yet will soon—is that things won’t go back to normal after a few weeks, or even a few months. Some things never will.

In the short term, this will be hugely damaging to businesses that rely on people coming together in large numbers: restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclubs, gyms, hotels, theaters, cinemas, art galleries, shopping malls, craft fairs, museums, musicians and other performers, sporting venues (and sports teams), conference venues (and conference producers), cruise lines, airlines, public transportation, private schools, day-care centers. That’s to say nothing of the stresses on parents thrust into home-schooling their kids, people trying to care for elderly relatives without exposing them to the virus, people trapped in abusive relationships, and anyone without a financial cushion to deal with swings in income.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ing-18-months/

Interesting hypothesis..

All we need to do is get vaccinated and life will return to near normal.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jergesn View Post
Mask mandates all but lifted here on tuesday.....

Some places now have a sign "UNVACCINATED PEOPLE NEED TO WEAR A MASK" and I think the only people who will actually wear one are dumbed down ppl with no mind of thier own....Just because they are being told to.....

This is COMPLETE BS. I am vaccinated and I still wear a mask in public indoor businesses. People who are being treated for cancer are not being vaccinated. Now everybody who is vaccinated will have a strong immune response. The vaccines protect against serious illness not from getting infection. It is attitudes like this which is why governments but on unilateral restrictions.

Old 05-20-2021, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomPenguin View Post
I don't honestly care about any of the quarantine stuff or procedures, living my life with zero change. will continue to live it without worrying. id like to get coronavirus already so I can be immune. im not going to die over it, healthy 29 year old.

is what it is. let everyone get infected already, build immunity.

Another "ME" post. What about how your actions impact other people?

Old 05-20-2021, 05:12 AM

3,361 posts, read 1,532,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Social distancing is here to stay for much more than a few weeks. It will upend our way of life, in some ways forever.

To stop coronavirus we will need to radically change almost everything we do: how we work, exercise, socialize, shop, manage our health, educate our kids, take care of family members.

We all want things to go back to normal quickly. But what most of us have probably not yet realized—yet will soon—is that things won’t go back to normal after a few weeks, or even a few months. Some things never will.

In the short term, this will be hugely damaging to businesses that rely on people coming together in large numbers: restaurants, cafes, bars, nightclubs, gyms, hotels, theaters, cinemas, art galleries, shopping malls, craft fairs, museums, musicians and other performers, sporting venues (and sports teams), conference venues (and conference producers), cruise lines, airlines, public transportation, private schools, day-care centers. That’s to say nothing of the stresses on parents thrust into home-schooling their kids, people trying to care for elderly relatives without exposing them to the virus, people trapped in abusive relationships, and anyone without a financial cushion to deal with swings in income.

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6...ing-18-months/

Interesting hypothesis..
We can not continue this nonsense people die from viruses and will until the end of time. people die and you are not taking my freedom for any virus and especially not for one that has a 99 percent survival rate.

how about you don't think about this virus any more and live life . life is too short to be a slave.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:20 AM

30,378 posts, read 21,196,630 times
Nothing has been normal since Bush2 was in office with his two failed wars.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:22 AM

34,219 posts, read 18,550,731 times
Gyms in my area are not requiring masks if you are vaccinated but from what I'm told, they're not requiring proof. So basically no masks.

Old 05-20-2021, 05:27 AM

19,770 posts, read 9,319,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LKJ1988 View Post
Nothing has been normal since Bush2 was in office with his two failed wars.
YES. 9/11 was the beginning of the end as far as "normal" life in the U.S.

I wonder how long it will be before no one is alive who can remember when air travel was actually enjoyable, to name just one example?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies