Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 08:29 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
More dangerous, anti-intellectual attacks on expertise. Comparing national political polling that fails to account for the electoral college, with the opinions of experts in pandemics is a non sequitur.
Reps to you.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 08:34 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
Here is what the expert tweeted;

"1/4 - I think it would be helpful if I cleared up some confusion that has emerged in recent days. Some have interpreted my evidence to a UK parliamentary committee as indicating we have substantially revised our assessments of the potential mortality impact of COVID-19.

2/4 -This is not the case. Indeed, if anything, our latest estimates suggest that the virus is slightly more transmissible than we previously thought. Our lethality estimates remain unchanged.

3/4 - My evidence to Parliament referred to the deaths we assess might occur in the UK in the presence of the very intensive social distancing and other public health interventions now in place.

4/4 - Without those controls, our assessment remains that the UK would see the scale of deaths reported in our study (namely, up to approximately 500 thousand)."
Gee, that sounds nothing like what the OP posted. Is the OP lying? It appears so. In other words, business as usual on CD.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:36 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,388,778 times
Modeling truth: GIGO forever!

Old 03-27-2020, 08:55 AM

78,337 posts, read 60,527,398 times
So, the OP's premise is that since the NYT gave hillary a roughtly 5/6ths chance of winning that the outcome invalidates all other projections by anyone, anytime, anywhere....that they don't want to believe.

Double O, 5/6ths reporting for duty with their license to be willfully ignorant.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:10 AM

5,738 posts, read 5,440,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacommonwealth View Post

You know, that statement literally says Donald Trump has a chance of winning..... Try going back to math class.

Old 03-27-2020, 09:53 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
So, the OP's premise is that since the NYT gave hillary a roughtly 5/6ths chance of winning that the outcome invalidates all other projections by anyone, anytime, anywhere....that they don't want to believe.

Double O, 5/6ths reporting for duty with their license to be willfully ignorant.
Couldn't rep you again, yet.

Old 04-19-2020, 12:22 PM

2,910 posts, read 1,357,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
And when the US death toll is under 20k....
Wow, here we are less than a month later and the death toll is now over 20K. In fact it's more than double at 40,109.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:13 PM

4,445 posts, read 1,448,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
I don't care about Hillary, lets talk about the virus... Tell me how you know more than the top epidemiologist at the CDC?
I am willing to wager there are people on these fora that know more about math and statistics than the top epidemiologist at the CDC. Being a general expert on how a virus works doesn't translate to having the skills to create statistical models.

They were inaccurate and totally worthless anyway.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:22 PM

17,775 posts, read 13,665,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I am willing to wager there are people on these fora that know more about math and statistics than the top epidemiologist at the CDC. Being a general expert on how a virus works doesn't translate to having the skills to create statistical models.

They were inaccurate and totally worthless anyway.
The models with the high death tolls were based on complete non intervention.

Now Trump is claiming credit for the "billions" (yes we know he meant millions) of live saved due to "his" interventions. He claims that the 2.2 million American deaths may have been an underestimate. So he is agreeing with the experts.

So Trump is saying this type of stuff.... basking in his glory.... but do Trump supporters call him out on it?

Of course not.

Old 04-19-2020, 02:28 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,550 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by It'sAutomatic View Post
You know, that statement literally says Donald Trump has a chance of winning..... Try going back to math class.
I dont think most of the people in this forum understand what "chance" is. Its one of the oddest arguments that keeps being made in this forum.

I doubt they would misunderstand if we were talking about a hail mary pass in football and the likelyhood of someone coming down with the pass in the endzone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies