Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 07:00 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Fake News are far more at fault than anything Trump has done.

When the smoke has cleared we will look back on this episode as more media-driven than anything else.
Media is relaying what the government and doctors have said.

Can you provide evidence to the contrary? Aside from fake sites like zero hedge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2020, 07:02 AM

4,395 posts, read 4,911,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Defensive hedge bets on the futures market are nothing new. Every pension fund in the country should be built on hedged futures, that way the pension stays funded whether the economy does either well or poorly.

And you'll notice in the article that the "windfall" offset losses and the fund group's overall position is up 7.9% for the month.

Why is it that every time a free market capitalist makes money, it's "evil?"
Actually they gained wealth. It's not money until someone cashes out.

I saw where things were headed and adjusted my portfolio accordingly. I'm down some for the year but a lot less than if I had not made any changes.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:03 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sure. Whatever gets you through the night.

The government actually forbids people to work, and then they wonder why the economy collapsed

Trump stands in front of TV cameras every day putting the fear of death in peoples hearts, and then he wonders why people reacts the way they do.

Are you kidding me? The world has never seen such man-made economic disaster before.
Wait, in some of the other threads hear, Trump hasn't done enough and tried to downplay the pandemic.

So which is it ? He did too much and caused a panic or didn't do enough and caused panic ?

Old 03-27-2020, 07:05 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Nice, but the virus didnt tank the market, the government (Trump admin) panic reaction did.

The media didn't shut down the economy, your hero Donald Trump did.
And yet if he did nothing people like you would be screaming about lack of leadership.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:07 AM

30,065 posts, read 18,665,937 times
Quote:
Tucker covered this evil {{{sleezebag}}} last night. He knowingly lied and then turned around and took advantage of his lies to the tune of "earning" billions in a single day. Absolutely a horrible human being. Send him to the gallows!!

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-3-1029035562

I don't understand why you are angry at someone trading options. He could have easily been burned the other way. Option trading is very risky and not for the faint of heart.

Who cares if he makes more money on options? That "option" is open to you as well.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:12 AM

13,961 posts, read 5,625,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
I don't understand why you are angry at someone trading options. He could have easily been burned the other way. Option trading is very risky and not for the faint of heart.
Which I point out in the math of a $2.6 billion profit resulting in being up 7.8%, which means he was more than $2 billion down across the rest of the fund until that "windfall" paid off.

And uhm, hello...the "fund" represents tons of investors, as in normal folks trusting this dude with their money. And as a good fund manager, he is making money for his clients, or at least offsetting their losses in a really bad time. The guy should be getting awards, not derision.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:16 AM

5,606 posts, read 3,511,211 times
Quote:
Tucker covered this evil {{{sleezebag}}} last night. He knowingly lied and then turned around and took advantage of his lies to the tune of "earning" billions in a single day. Absolutely a horrible human being. Send him to the gallows!!

https://markets.businessinsider.com/...0-3-1029035562

Good luck to him.
I'm making money out of the crisis markets although compared to Mr Ackman it probably wouldn't keep him in paperclips for the day.
Greed really is good.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:21 AM

8,726 posts, read 7,413,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Wait, in some of the other threads hear, Trump hasn't done enough and tried to downplay the pandemic.

So which is it ? He did too much and caused a panic or didn't do enough and caused panic ?
The poster you responded to has a fanatical hate of Trump, anything he does will be wrong no matter what. In this case, Trump is pretty much relaying what medical experts are saying, and the poster is criticizing him for it, and is criticizing Trump for what local governments are doing.

Yet on other threads, this poster criticizes Trump for not listening to experts, for example regarding climate change.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:24 AM

29,486 posts, read 14,650,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k350 View Post
The poster you responded to has a fanatical hate of Trump, anything he does will be wrong no matter what. In this case, Trump is pretty much relaying what medical experts are saying, and the poster is criticizing him for it, and is criticizing Trump for what local governments are doing.

Yet on other threads, this poster criticizes Trump for not listening to experts, for example regarding climate change.
I'm seeing plenty of that going around on this site through this. While I think Trump needs to take a back seat on the podium and just let the experts talk I fail to see how he is responsible for deaths as some posters have said.

Old 03-27-2020, 07:25 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Fake News are far more at fault than anything Trump has done.
Does airing Trump's daily presser make it fake?

Did Trump shut down the economy and ask the taxpayer for $6 trillion based on fake news?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies