Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 03:24 PM

34,279 posts, read 19,371,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I think all of us should really stop and think about the President. Maybe he could have shown better leadership, I don’t really know. But I think at the end of the day, the buck stops with us, and we should be taking care of ourselves and those around us. The Government is merely a backstop to people doing the right thing in their own communities.

Sorry, but no. The buck stops at the top. "I take no responsibilty" shows how much of a failure he is. Past presidents knew better, and said clearly "The buck stops here" want a example:
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...curity-failure

We ARE doing what we can to help neighbors, heck I know I am. But we elect people, and pay taxes so that they will deal with things in a nationwide organizational level. And pandemics are not a local issue-you can do everything right in your locale, but then someone from the next one over brings it in. Thats EXACTLY why we need a national effort. This doesnt say "oh look that neighborhood is working together, guess I shouldn't go there".

Dont make up excuses for the presidents failure to lead.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:30 PM

6,354 posts, read 3,654,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
we have the New Orleans mayor complaining that it was Trump's fault she didn't shut down Mardi Gras.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...esponse-2020-3
Quote:
Originally Posted by itshim View Post
It's TDS season, so she's right in stride. But I wouldn't expect anything less from the party of "it's everyone elses fault but my own."
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Completely expected.

She, like Cuomo, made the decision to keep tax revenue pouring into their coffers rather than shelter in place and protect their citizens. Both are losers and should be ashamed of themselves. Cuomo too is whining like a child now and blaming Trump. Shocker!
"The city's Mardi Gras planning happens year-round and in close coordination with the federal government." Mayor LaToya Cantrell "was given "no red flags" about a public health threat at any point, so they decided to continue with business as usual."

"When it's not taken seriously on the federal level, it's very difficult to transcend down to the local level in making these decisions," Cantrell said.

During the time of Mardi Gras planning President Trump said that media and public concern about coronavirus was "a democrat hoax."
https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-...-hoax-n1146806
https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...-a-hoax-2020-3

President Trump said people infected with the coronavirus should "go to work."
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/donald-...le-go-to-work/

And president Trump said "the coronavirus is not as perilous as the flu."
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2102GY

When the president of the United States says public concern about the coronavirus is a hoax, people infected with the coronavirus should continue to go to work, and the flu is worse than the coronavirus. Would those statements make it harder for a city mayor to cancel a international festival because of the coronavirus?

And since January government officials and medical experts have been warning Trump about the coronavirus, but Trump ignored them and even refused to talk to them.

If Trump would have listened to government officials and medical experts in January and taken the coronavirus seriously, would that have made city mayors take the coronavirus more seriously?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/governmen...124140944.html

Last edited by chad3; 03-27-2020 at 03:39 PM..

Old 03-27-2020, 03:31 PM

30,585 posts, read 25,161,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
I think all of us should really stop and think about the President. Maybe he could have shown better leadership, I don’t really know. But I think at the end of the day, the buck stops with us, and we should be taking care of ourselves and those around us. The Government is merely a backstop to people doing the right thing in their own communities.
Well, we can self isolate, but we can’t come up with more respirators or ventilators. Nor can we authorize real wellness checks as travelers enter our borders. Nor can we strategize a nationwide policy offensive to combat a disease no one has immunity to, but which is sweeping over the globe.

As individuals, we can only do so much.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:33 PM

37,971 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
we have the New Orleans mayor complaining that it was Trump's fault she didn't shut down Mardi Gras.

Yup, and the haters are probably claiming it's Trump's fault that the Chinese government spent months lying to the world.

Even as late as mid January 2020, Xi was telling the W.H.O. that the Wuhan virus could not be transmitted between humans.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:

On the one hand it is her fault. On the other hand Mardi Gras was right at the peak of Trump claiming the virus would die out and it was a hoax being politicized by the media and Democrat party. Take that for what you will.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
Well, we can self isolate, but we can’t come up with more respirators or ventilators. Nor can we authorize real wellness checks as travelers enter our borders. Nor can we strategize a nationwide policy offensive to combat a disease no one has immunity to, but which is sweeping over the globe.

As individuals, we can only do so much.
What really disappoints me, is our own CDC was caught flat footed.

Where in the hell were the CDC policies and procedures that would fall into place to protect and treat people for a pandemic?

Where were the test kits, where were the masks, ventilators and other PPE??

Where were the legislative acts that kicked in to see to it we had the protections and measures we needed?

Our CDC, NIH, HHS, HLS, etc... all seem to be reacting on the fly. This really demonstrates the incompetence of big government. Meanwhile we have private enterprise who are quick to convert manufacturing operations to make PPE, test kits etc... Trump must have blown a gasket when the CDC and all the other billion dollar agencies basically shrugged their shoulders at him when he asked what their carefully laid plans were going to do.

Old 03-27-2020, 03:50 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Sorry, but no. The buck stops at the top. "I take no responsibilty" shows how much of a failure he is. Past presidents knew better, and said clearly "The buck stops here" want a example:
https://thehill.com/homenews/adminis...curity-failure

We ARE doing what we can to help neighbors, heck I know I am. But we elect people, and pay taxes so that they will deal with things in a nationwide organizational level. And pandemics are not a local issue-you can do everything right in your locale, but then someone from the next one over brings it in. Thats EXACTLY why we need a national effort. This doesnt say "oh look that neighborhood is working together, guess I shouldn't go there".

Dont make up excuses for the presidents failure to lead.
Trump has way too much power and I think the tragedy which is unfolding is proof that the office of the POTUS has too much concentrated power. No reason that Congress is not capable of appointing an expert to deal with a crisis such as this. It must be centralized and Trump is refusing to do it. Why should even one person die because of this grifter who received less votes?

Old 03-27-2020, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
On the one hand it is her fault. On the other hand Mardi Gras was right at the peak of Trump claiming the virus would die out and it was a hoax being politicized by the media and Democrat party. Take that for what you will.
That doesn't fly, because at that time, Trump had declared a COVID-19 a public health emergency, closed flights from China.

This dumb assed mayor is trying to claim she is soooo stupid, she does nothing but sit on her hands, unable to asses events that might affect her citizens, unable to speak with her own doctors and health professionals, unable to make any decisions at all unless the federal government tells her what to do. They may as well have elected a five year old child to be mayor.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Trump has way too much power and I think the tragedy which is unfolding is proof that the office of the POTUS has too much concentrated power. No reason that Congress is not capable of appointing an expert to deal with a crisis such as this. It must be centralized and Trump is refusing to do it. Why should even one person die because of this grifter who received less votes?
It's not Trump's fault that our bureaucrats are so incompetent, that they have spent the past few decades doing just enough to look busy.

Old 03-27-2020, 04:09 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,260,559 times
The mayors of NO don’t have a very good record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies