Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-27-2020, 11:28 PM

14,226 posts, read 4,592,230 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
The USA was a primary drafter and fought for the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And then refused to ratify it, one of the few countries outside of dictatorships and the Islamic world that has not. But, the majority of the world nations sees healthcare as a human right, just like the Declaration does.

That makes the USA an outlier. It doesn't make it correct, it makes it an aberration in the pursuit of human rights.

Most of the world understands a human right is not restricted to any one country. Healthcare IS a human right, one the USA disregards.

But I bet you are proud to stand against this human right?

Remember the time when most of the world was against slavery? The USA was rather late accepting that also; heck, they even had a war because so many citizens thought it was A-OK to own another human. Today, so many citizens of the USA think it is A-OK for someone to die because they can't afford or lost their health insurance due to a layoff at work.

SMH
Slavery = healthcare?

Enslaving another human for ones profit = pays for someone else’s healthcare

Old 03-27-2020, 11:30 PM

normstad, since this is a human right issue maybe you should ask the UN to intervene by making United States adopt universal healthcare

Old 03-27-2020, 11:30 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
Quote:
The USA was a primary drafter and fought for the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. And then refused to ratify it, one of the few countries outside of dictatorships and the Islamic world that has not. But, the majority of the world nations sees healthcare as a human right, just like the Declaration does.

That makes the USA an outlier. It doesn't make it correct, it makes it an aberration in the pursuit of human rights.

Most of the world understands a human right is not restricted to any one country. Healthcare IS a human right, one the USA disregards.

But I bet you are proud to stand against this human right?

Remember the time when most of the world was against slavery? The USA was rather late accepting that also; heck, they even had a war because so many citizens thought it was A-OK to own another human. Today, so many citizens of the USA think it is A-OK for someone to die because they can't afford or lost their health insurance due to a layoff at work.

SMH
Non-responsive.

Old 03-27-2020, 11:33 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,354,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
normstad, since this is a human right issue maybe you should ask the UN to intervene by making United States adopt universal healthcare
Best post of the day!!! Hilarious. lmao

Rep, rep, rep and so on......

Though on a serious note--if we keep insisting OP make sense, he may need restorative snowflake therapy.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:14 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,593,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
You really don't understand human rights, do you? They are immutable and self-evident. The reality that many are not practised by a nation doesn't mean they don't exist.

The USA chooses not to honor all human rights. To its shame. The ideals we thought the country represented when we grew up, and what we were taught in school, often in reality, is clouded by smoke and mirrors. The walk does not equal the talk.

And too many on this board are proud of that fact. They are perfectly OK with a young person dying because he went to the wrong facility or because he did not have insurance. I can't believe the hard-heartedness of that perspective.

I'm going to make a prediction. Because of the attitude that the economy is more important than a nation's health, the USA will suffer more than any other nation in deaths, and its economy will in fact take longer to recover than those countries that cared about the health of their citizens and will have a healthy business environment to recover.

You are welcome to check with me a year from now on this.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:01 AM

1,329 posts, read 832,049 times
Quote:
I'm going to make a prediction. Because of the attitude that the economy is more important than a nation's health, the USA will suffer more than any other nation in deaths, and its economy will in fact take longer to recover than those countries that cared about the health of their citizens and will have a healthy business environment to recover.

You don't have to be Nostradamus to be right about that kind of prediction.

Old 03-28-2020, 01:54 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
You really don't understand human rights, do you? They are immutable and self-evident. The reality that many are not practised by a nation doesn't mean they don't exist.

The USA chooses not to honor all human rights. To its shame. The ideals we thought the country represented when we grew up, and what we were taught in school, often in reality, is clouded by smoke and mirrors. The walk does not equal the talk.

And too many on this board are proud of that fact. They are perfectly OK with a young person dying because he went to the wrong facility or because he did not have insurance. I can't believe the hard-heartedness of that perspective.

This is what stands out for me. That the argument was made that if he or his parents KNEW where to go, things would have turned out, perhaps, differently. It's shocking and rather horrifying that people think this way.

I imagine that they just haven't lived in a country where that can't happen.

My support/awarness for a UHC system started when I had a great aunt end up in hospital while my parents were on holiday. I was to shop for her while they were away Long story short, my first attempt at contacting her was to find her in hospital. I being very young, 19 or so, hadn't any real experience with our healthcare. When I got to the hospital to see her in the next bed in the Emergency Room was what we called in those days " a bum ". The Nurse was attending to him, as was the nurse attending to my great aunt. It struck me then, that both, regardless of their social standing or ability to pay, were getting the same quality of care. That the " bum " was going to be in a hospital room if needed and not worry about treatment. If they had the whereabouts to follow the aftercare, it was there. No charge. It wasn't a thought that I mulled over, but a flash, that late in life, made it's true impact.

Since then life experience has shown me that this is the right thing to do.

Last edited by Natnasci; 03-28-2020 at 02:20 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 02:18 AM

18,504 posts, read 15,552,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subaru5555 View Post
Sorry I was a bit ambiguous and should have clarified that earlier, lol.

Likewise, stay healthy! I actually caught (but can’t verify, because ‘MURRICA) the virus last week and have had mild symptoms so far, so I’m probably a carrier. I was out in public on serval occasions before I realized that I had symptoms....

I went to a clinic Wednesday and waited an hour and a half (after spending several hours calling around)......they were unable to test me, (they’re only testing if you’re hospitalized and in the ICU) but the doctor said I most likely have it.

Arizona had only tested 924 people TOTAL as of yesterday........
Oh my, Well the good news is that you will get through this.

Best wishes.

Old 03-28-2020, 02:21 AM

Quote:

Why don't you check death:infection ratio between US, Spain, Uk, and Italy? I thought Italy, UK, Spain all have universal healthcare but their death:infection ratio are much worse than US?

Again, why don't you go to UN HQ in NYC to protest that US is in violation of human rights because we choose not to have universal healthcare? Talk the talk, walk the walk

Old 03-28-2020, 02:46 AM

Americans would rather choose not to healthcare than some idiot from Canada (or worst the UN) making outrageous demand that we must adopt universal healthcare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies