Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 08:12 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,476,114 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
I was going to rep you as I too don't judge a person by their color, nationality, religion or financial status but unfortunately I'm one that does feel we have to put Americans first and always have.

I'll gladly donate to those who help others in other countries and support their
efforts to become an American by using the legal methods now in place - but I don't support illegal entry and then using resources that many of our homeless, veterans and older people need.

I'm very glad that you are well off enough to enjoy traveling and living in other countries and the experiences you have gained but there are many here who don't have those opportunities and any monies or services spent on illegals should be spent on our own.

I'm sure you gladly help those in need - but do not condemn those who put their own people first and foremost. US Citizens have helped more countries throughout the years than any other nation - be it the gov't or the people themselves - if some feel it's time to put our own interests first - I say it's about time!
As a Canadian I certainly cannot find fault with this, especially your last para being a completely understandable position to take..

Old 03-28-2020, 08:30 AM

1,137 posts, read 447,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
Healthcare is a human right.

The disease does not discriminate who it attacks. Only those who are dogmatic choose to discriminate against those who can't afford insurance.
Access to health care may or may not be a "human right", but having other people forced to pay for your health care is not. If people want health care, they need to find a way to insure they have it. We live in a nation where many welfare cases have; cell phones, smoke cigarettes, drink alcohol, own at least one car, get tax payer funded groceries, taxpayer funded rent and other "free" benefits working people never get.

Many of these "poor" are living better than third world middle class on other people's money. They are often fat, smokers, and never save their money for emergencies. If you want to donate, I want to donate or the average citizen wants to donate, that's great. But not all people want to, and welfare recipients are not owed anything by virtue of a "human right". Zero effort should result in zero benefits. Force them to work for their handouts or do without.

The other thing that drives me crazy is the lack of gratitude from the "poor". I never hear them talking about how great this country is; that they can sit on their butts and watch TV, smoke, drink and do drugs while someone else is paying their bills. All they do is complain about how they should get more. Years of getting everything for nothing has made them feel that is what they are owed, rather than realizing what a gift they are getting.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:39 AM

14,215 posts, read 4,585,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
Well, not if what you've got is contagious or you have the slightest concern for your your fellow man.

The questions are being posed with no one "demanding" you make any changes for any other reason than to benefit yourselves.
1) last time i checked the virus came from China

2) UK, Frsnce, Italy, and Spain have socialized healtgcare but their death:infection ratio is much worse than US. How do you explain that?

3)thanks for your concern but eff off. If americans do not want/want universal healthcare then that is OUR decision to make

Last edited by Du Ma; 03-28-2020 at 09:00 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
Early lockdown and preventative measures are responsible for lower death rates, as is the fact that the some countries are a different stages in terms of the pandemic.

In terms of health care systems both South Korea and Germany both have universal healthcare and both have low death rates, whilst Switzerland which neighbours Germany and has a private heathcare system has one of the highest European death rates per capita after Italy and Spain.

Russia which put lockdown in place very early and closed borders, also has a low rate of the virus and a low death rate, whilst China also now has a low rate after putting total lockdown in place much sooner than other countries.

The UK's rate is no where near Italy or Spain and is mainly centered on London, which accounts foir half the cases.

The UK is currently making sure that homeless people are housed and off the streets to prevent further spread, something which is something the US should also consider.

Coronavirus: All rough sleepers in England 'to be housed' - BBC News
What you just posted is preventive measures to stop the spread of the disease, NOT healthcare. You can have the best universal healthcare in the world, but it will not stop the spread if you have idiots partying at beach in Florida on their spring break during the pandemic.

Italy, Spain, France, and UK have bad death:infection ratio than the USA

Old 03-28-2020, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Same reasons Americans on c-d constnatly trash other countries.

That's sweet.
Last time i checked City-Data is US's forum.

You don't see me go to Canadian's forum and talk **** about canada

Old 03-28-2020, 09:00 AM

18,557 posts, read 7,361,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normstad View Post
https://gizmodo.com/teen-who-died-of...use-1842520539

As a Canadian, I just can't see how or why this is even possible. It is immoral, it is unethical, it is unthinking that someone who needs critical care is denied because... of insurance!!!!

The urgent care facility refused to see him, referring him instead to another hospital. Why are there still some Americans who are not absolutely outraged at this? Why are there so many who don't see healthcare as a HUMAN right, especially critical and urgent care?
To believe that health care is a human right, you have to believe that people have a "right" to enslave others. That's why "so many" don't see healthcare as a human right. It should be obvious, and it should be obvious that they're right, and you're wrong.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:03 AM

24,456 posts, read 17,199,589 times
I wonder if an illegal alien would have been treated the same? This did happen in the sanctuary state of California after all??

Old 03-28-2020, 09:42 AM

10,800 posts, read 3,590,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Why don't you check death:infection ratio between US, Spain, Uk, and Italy? I thought Italy, UK, Spain all have universal healthcare but their death:infection ratio are much worse than US?

Again, why don't you go to UN HQ in NYC to protest that US is in violation of human rights because we choose not to have universal healthcare? Talk the talk, walk the walk
Your death to infection ratio is higher than Canada's. And climbing. Remember when Trump pronounce the USA only had "15 cases"?

Old 03-28-2020, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Du Ma View Post
Americans would rather choose not to healthcare than some idiot from Canada (or worst the UN) making outrageous demand that we must adopt universal healthcare.
Yup, that is why Canadians life longer. And healthcare costs over 30% less as a percentage of GDP than the USA.

Universal healthcare is soooooo outrages in a First World country.

Old 03-28-2020, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Hmmm...since I'm not that familiar with the Canadian system, perhaps you could school me a little.

GoHealth Urgent Care - Windsor accepts many major insurance plans and multiple forms of payment, making it easier to get the affordable care you need. It is always a good idea to contact your insurance company before your visit to ensure the Clinic is in network for the service(s) you're seeking.

https://www.solvhealth.com/gohealth-...dsor-ct-gJ564p

I didn't see anything in there about Canadian walk in clinics accepting patients without supplemental health insurance.

Is it the case that Canadian walk in clinics require insurance/cash beyond the standard policy that all Canadians get?

Would a Canadian citizen without a supplemental policy be referred to the local ER in such a case?
A walk-in clinic visit in Canada is covered by the universal healthcare system. The clinic is private, but the payments come from a single source.

I had a girlfriend who came to visit from the US to Canada a few years back. She forgot her pills, and was quite concerned about the cost of both the pills and the required appointment with a doctor to get the prescription. I told her not to be concerned. At the time, the rate in the walk in clinic for non-residents of Canada was $43. The pills cost her $36 at the pharmacy.

She was shocked, totally shocked, that the appointment and pills were less than her co-pay in Florida.

The system works. As any, it can always be improved, but it works when needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies