Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2020, 03:56 PM

21,910 posts, read 9,483,127 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I'm a firm believer in universal healthcare and legal immigration, but I couldn't agree more with you. Spot on.

Canada has a protective geography (and climate), which means that Canadians have no clue what it's like to have a huge number of migrants illegally walking and flying into their country. They simply have no experience with it, and they probably never will.

There are many illegals here in Tennessee, so I can only imagine the numbers in places like SoCal, Arizona, and Texas.

I'm Canadian (dual citizen), and I KNOW that if Canada had similar numbers of people illegally entering the country and enjoying its many social benefits (and straining them in some cases), Canadians would freak. You can bet on it.
And that's exactly WHY the US has such a big problem with illegals.

Old 03-28-2020, 03:57 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Like I asked BruSan, why does this Windsor clinic advertise that it takes many major insurance plans?

GoHealth Urgent Care - Windsor accepts many major insurance plans and multiple forms of payment, making it easier to get the affordable care you need. It is always a good idea to contact your insurance company before your visit to ensure the Clinic is in network for the service(s) you're seeking.

https://www.solvhealth.com/gohealth-...dsor-ct-gJ564p

I seem to be missing something.
Maybe a map will help.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:05 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
And that's exactly WHY the US has such a big problem with illegals.
I'm a "liberal," but illegal immigration is one issue I agree with conservatives on. Absolutely.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:11 PM

18,504 posts, read 15,536,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I'm a "liberal," but illegal immigration is one issue I agree with conservatives on. Absolutely.
I'm liberal as well, and I agree. I don't see it as a contradiction, at least in Canada. I don't think anyone here would stand for illegals not being sent back no matter what their political stripe.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:15 PM

7,083 posts, read 9,561,771 times
The US healthcare was unaffordable even before illegal immigration was a problem. I wish people would stop using them as an excuse. A fully functioning, efficient, non-revenue driven healthcare system would still function with illegals and would have been better prepared for a pandemic.

Just like the financial system, this pandemic has widened the already exposed cracks in the healthcare system.

We are the wealthiest country in the world right? We should be decades ahead of the rest of the developed world in everything. But our wealth is shared not by everyone, but a few who don't necessarily care that there are those less fortunate. Talk about patriotism and helping your fellow citizen.

The wealthy do anything they can to horde wealth, everyone else be damned.

80% of the people in this country do all the work while trust fund babies get to play with our money on wall st.

If we're such a great country, we would be begging other countries to send us their sick because we would already have the resources, the infrastructure, and the know-how. Yet we are looking to China and South Korea to figure out how in the hell they got their infection curves flat.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:19 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,353,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
The US healthcare was unaffordable even before illegal immigration was a problem. I wish people would stop using them as an excuse. A fully functioning, efficient, non-revenue driven healthcare system would still function with illegals and would have been better prepared for a pandemic.

Just like the financial system, this pandemic has widened the already exposed cracks in the healthcare system.

We are the wealthiest country in the world right? We should be decades ahead of the rest of the developed world in everything. But our wealth is shared not by everyone, but a few who don't necessarily care that there are those less fortunate. Talk about patriotism and helping your fellow citizen.

The wealthy do anything they can to horde wealth, everyone else be damned.

80% of the people in this country do all the work while trust fund babies get to play with our money on wall st.

If we're such a great country, we would be begging other countries to send us their sick because we would already have the resources, the infrastructure, and the know-how. Yet we are looking to China and South Korea to figure out how in the hell they got their infection curves flat.
Detain, confine and deport illegals (criminals). Build the wall.

We should use lethal force against invaders of America.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:23 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,836,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
I'm liberal as well, and I agree. I don't see it as a contradiction, at least in Canada. I don't think anyone here would stand for illegals not being sent back no matter what their political stripe.
I don't see it as a contradiction either. But there's no shortage of Canadians who criticize the US for wanting to crack down on illegal immigration, and who use all the same stupid name-calling some US liberals do ("racist," "bigoted," "xenophobic," etc).

It's like, yeah, go live in South Texas or any place that has lots of illegals (more than half the country), and then you'll have some idea of what you're talking about. But I guarantee you'll feel differently about the issue.

I dislike Trump for many reasons, but I don't think he's racist. That's one thing he isn't.

Old 03-28-2020, 04:23 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,708,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage98de View Post
Hey pal your country can do things their way and we will do things our way.

Stick with what you know best, global irrelevance and abysmal weather.
Boy are you correct. It's even biblical, if not exactly literal. It took Jesus two times to cure the blind man. He didn't get his co-pay of $47 the first time, so He did a half-azz job just like us Americans. When the blind man came back a second time -- with sufficient money---Jesus "democratically" healed Him.

I just love the examples of health care capitalism we get from the Bible--don't you?

Old 03-28-2020, 04:38 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:
All reports that I can see say that they backed up on the Covid diagnosis, but no where does it state he had insurance. Can you provide a link that states that he definitely had insurance?

The reports also state that on Friday he was perfectly fine and did not have many medical problems.

"Both Parris and Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti said the boy did not have preexisting health conditions, which are known to increase the severity of COVID-19.

"He had been sick for a few days; he had no previous health conditions. On the Friday before he died, he was healthy; he was socializing with his friends," Parris said. "By Wednesday, he was dead."

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...or-says-2020-3
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/03/...s-virus-total/

17-year-old boy had been hospitalized with respiratory problems and died from septic shock, a reaction to a widespread infection that can cause dangerously low blood pressure and organ failure.
Parris said the boy’s father also has coronavirus and worked in a job where he had close contact with the public..... the father worked for the local government and under law had to have insurance, for himself and his family

The mayor said the boy had long-term health problems in the past

A report last week by the CDC found no coronavirus deaths in the U.S. among people 19 and under. (which has possibly changed since in Illinois an infant has died who did test positive, but has NOT been confirmed that COVID is the CAUSE of death)

Old 03-28-2020, 04:38 PM

22,923 posts, read 15,477,951 times
Quote:
Neither do I. It's the one conundrum that gave a lot of Canadians pause when we welcomed asylum seekers so willingly from within the U.S.. Admittedly we, to a man, felt that they'd be swiftly sorted through and those arriving in Canada from a safe civilized country would be summarily sent back. While those with a genuine need of asylum would be dealt with according to accepted conventions.

It was my feeling that those of them that had arrived from Haiti and been given a number of extensions to their U.S. temp visas were already in a place providing them security. It was also my understanding they had sought refuge after a natural disaster ruined a lot of their infrastructure. That's not quite the same thing as escaping from an oppressive regime bent on killing you should you ever return. Yet there we were, letting, no, encouraging them to cross by erecting tents at other than a recognized point of entry so they could use a loophole in our safe first country agreement to get into Canada and be welcomed with open arms where I'd bet the farm the majority of them still remain.

I give short shrift to Americans who seem immune from the reality that encouraging illegals to cross from Mexico by giving them jobs and benefits just to fulfill a cheap labour need causing the very problem they've now become told to be upset over.

Now I find myself in that paradox of having my country essentially doing the same thing on behalf of people that, were it Canada and Canadians in a similar position of having sought refuge from a natural disaster, I would expect would be, if not eager, at least willing to return to help rebuild and NOT simply move on to the next gate with a welcome mat at the door.

It's all a mess and I'm not convinced that being anything other than forcefully dogmatic in pushing the understanding that if you've already found succor in a civilized nation, just because there's a change in administration with a corresponding attitude of policy towards temp visas that you should be appreciative of the time you had to get your house in order and take whatever gains made back where you are desperately needed to rebuild your own country.

Not very charitable of me I know, but for heavens sake this worldwide migrant problem is getting way out of hand.

Last edited by BruSan; 03-28-2020 at 04:46 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies