Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 11:41 AM

9,511 posts, read 5,438,768 times

Advertisements

My herd is okay so far no flu or anything like that but one of my daughters business is essentially gone for the time being. She's also 4 1/2 months pregnant so she's not going anywhere. Son in law took the kid out to the woods because she's going nuts, mom is with the 2 year old. I run errands for them, lots of laundry this weekend.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:44 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,072,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrat335 View Post
My herd is okay so far no flu or anything like that but one of my daughters business is essentially gone for the time being. She's also 4 1/2 months pregnant so she's not going anywhere. Son in law took the kid out to the woods because she's going nuts, mom is with the 2 year old. I run errands for them, lots of laundry this weekend.
I hope they all stay that way. This hit my family out of the blue, as strange as that may sound in these uncertain times. I really thought by grown children, ages 36 and 33, would be relatively safe. Then BAM!, in the blink of an eye you realize exactly how vulnerable we all are.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:49 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,410,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I hope they all stay that way. This hit my family out of the blue, as strange as that may sound in these uncertain times. I really thought by grown children, ages 36 and 33, would be relatively safe. Then BAM!, in the blink of an eye you realize exactly how vulnerable we all are.
I'm also 36 but I don't smoke and generally try to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

My perception on this from the beginning is that those who are most vulnerable to it are people with existing health issues either from old age, inherited genetic disorders or poor lifestyle choices.

It's very sad but sometimes we don't evaluate our life choices until something like this hits us in the face.

Again though I do hope your son pulls through.

Last edited by atltechdude; 03-28-2020 at 11:57 AM..

Old 03-28-2020, 11:54 AM

25,441 posts, read 9,800,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
My son is in ICU on a ventilator. He is 36 years old, and yes, a smoker. He presented last night with fever and pneumonia.

No visitors allowed to ICU, and I’ve been unable to get through to the ICU unit on the phone for hours now. My call gets rerouted to a dead phone bank. No way to know what’s happening, no way to get a prognosis or even an update at this point.

I am one person. Multiply that by thousands and you get the idea of what it’s like on the other side,with people waiting to see if our loved ones will survive, waiting to hear what is happening with them, unable to speak to a doctor to find out their condition.

I think of my son, all alone, probably scared, with no one to talk to him, no one to comfort him other than an overworked staff, while his family waits in anxious limbo for any news.

This is a part of the nightmare that isn’t talked about, but is happening wherever this virus has taken hold. It's a feeling of complete helplessness. I don’t wish this on anybody. All you people pooh-poohing this virus as no big deal,please understand the far-reaching ramifications of this un-contained spread. An overwhelmed medical system affects everyone in ways they don't even realize. You have no idea what a nightmare this is until/unless it strikes you or your family firsthand.
Oh JAMS, I am so sorry! What a nightmare. Thinking of your son, you and your family and praying for him to recover soon.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:55 AM

20,757 posts, read 8,573,399 times
I know what the OP is going through. My dad was a smoker and I remember all those winter flu seasons when his flu progressed to pneumonia and he wound up in the hospital. As a small child, it seemed like a normal thing to me! He wouldn't quit smoking until years later when he had a heart attack. A wake up call!

Can anyone with medical background answer this question:

Wouldn't smoke kill bacteria and viruses in the lungs? Seems logical.

Question for the OP: Did your son vape? I've been hearing rumors about CV-19 being added to vape liquid as part of a bioweapons experiment. Remember that rash of vaping deaths?

Old 03-28-2020, 11:56 AM

609 posts, read 264,643 times
I would hope that if there is a shortage of ventilators, they should go to non-smokers first. Smokers should be last.

I know that's offensive but I am deeply worried about others who have not made stupid choices.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:10 PM

35,690 posts, read 21,045,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post
I would hope that if there is a shortage of ventilators, they should go to non-smokers first. Smokers should be last.

I know that's offensive but I am deeply worried about others who have not made stupid choices.
not-helpful
my son doesn't smoke but has iffy lungs - gets bad colds etc since he was born, now going to exclude him because of 2nd hand smoke? BTW not mine.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:15 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
OP, I'm incredibly sorry to hear that. And thanks for sharing. It does hit home a little more, even when forum regulars like yourself share stories. While my family and friends have been hit with the coronavirus, thankfully its been nothing serious and they are all well on their way to recovery (hopefully). Prayers for your son and all others for a speedy recovery.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:18 PM

30,633 posts, read 18,214,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carrcollie View Post

This may sound harsh, but if things get bad to the point where they are literally deciding who to give a ventilator to and the ventilator has an equally likely chance to save a smoker vs. a non smoker, those are decisions that are going to have to be made. It may be uncomfortable to write about here, but those decisions would have to be made. And, trust me, you aren't the only one thinking about this.

But hopefully it DOES NOT have to come to that.

Old 03-28-2020, 12:19 PM

15,859 posts, read 21,436,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I'm also 36 but I don't smoke and generally try to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

My perception on this from the beginning is that those who are most vulnerable to it are people with existing health issues either from old age, inherited genetic disorders or poor lifestyle choices.

It's very sad but sometimes we don't evaluate our life choices until something like this hits us in the face.

Again though I do hope your son pulls through.

The person I know in the ICU is a healthy 40 year old with no underlying conditions. I know second or thirdhand of people in their 20s and 30s in the ICU in NYC who are healthy marathon runners. No smokers among them.

While this disease can disproportionately impact those of us with preexisting conditions (and no, my cancer had nothing to do with "poor lifestyle choices"), it's the height of hubris to think that you could be spared. It's like when I was diagnosed with cancer at 23 and people's first question was, "How did you get it?" or their first response was to make guesses about what I did to cause it. It had nothing to me and was all about their fear response - they were trying to do the mental calculus about how they can't possibly be at risk. It's a really callous response.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies