Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2020, 09:31 PM

14,267 posts, read 6,954,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by adelphi_sky View Post
We had a friend deliver three days ago. Same thing. Family wasn't allowed.
Up until the early 1970s, not even husbands were allowed to be there for delivery, much less family and friends. Women are strong. They can do this. Just ask any mother.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:34 PM

34,048 posts, read 17,064,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
No, he has never vaped. I did get through to the ICU. He is critical, still on a vent, but he is sedated, so that's a relief to me. At least he's not aware of what's going on.
Best wishes for a full recovery. Keep us posted please.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:34 PM

12,426 posts, read 9,519,802 times
Quote:
My son is in ICU on a ventilator. He is 36 years old, and yes, a smoker. He presented last night with fever and pneumonia.

No visitors allowed to ICU, and I’ve been unable to get through to the ICU unit on the phone for hours now. My call gets rerouted to a dead phone bank. No way to know what’s happening, no way to get a prognosis or even an update at this point.

I am one person. Multiply that by thousands and you get the idea of what it’s like on the other side,with people waiting to see if our loved ones will survive, waiting to hear what is happening with them, unable to speak to a doctor to find out their condition.

I think of my son, all alone, probably scared, with no one to talk to him, no one to comfort him other than an overworked staff, while his family waits in anxious limbo for any news.

This is a part of the nightmare that isn’t talked about, but is happening wherever this virus has taken hold. It's a feeling of complete helplessness. I don’t wish this on anybody. All you people pooh-poohing this virus as no big deal,please understand the far-reaching ramifications of this un-contained spread. An overwhelmed medical system affects everyone in ways they don't even realize. You have no idea what a nightmare this is until/unless it strikes you or your family firsthand.
Jeez, that sounds rough. Very sorry to hear of your family's predicament, and I hope that your son will make a full recovery, man.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I'm also 36 but I don't smoke and generally try to maintain a healthy lifestyle.

My perception on this from the beginning is that those who are most vulnerable to it are people with existing health issues either from old age, inherited genetic disorders or poor lifestyle choices.

It's very sad but sometimes we don't evaluate our life choices until something like this hits us in the face.

Again though I do hope your son pulls through.
Young healthy people are ending up on ventilators too, in significant numbers. The idea that only the old and sick would get bad cases came out of China. They were wrong about that

Old 03-30-2020, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilgrimsProgress View Post
I know what the OP is going through. My dad was a smoker and I remember all those winter flu seasons when his flu progressed to pneumonia and he wound up in the hospital. As a small child, it seemed like a normal thing to me! He wouldn't quit smoking until years later when he had a heart attack. A wake up call!

Can anyone with medical background answer this question:

Wouldn't smoke kill bacteria and viruses in the lungs? Seems logical.

Question for the OP: Did your son vape? I've been hearing rumors about CV-19 being added to vape liquid as part of a bioweapons experiment. Remember that rash of vaping deaths?
OP doesn't need to hear your conspiracy theories right now. Start your own thread.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:44 PM

1,768 posts, read 567,778 times
I’m so sorry. You are going through every parents nightmare. I hope your son recovers soon.

Old 03-30-2020, 09:51 PM

2,691 posts, read 1,667,163 times
Quote:
My son is in ICU on a ventilator. He is 36 years old, and yes, a smoker. He presented last night with fever and pneumonia. ....

Truly sorry to hear that and best wishes for a recovery.

As long as he had not significantly damaged his lungs from smoking, he has a good chance of coming off the ventilator. Young people have a much better chance than the 70-90 year olds with multiple medical problems. Hope he is given some experimental therapy.

Old 03-31-2020, 07:56 AM

1,239 posts, read 510,353 times
Best wishes for you and your son, JAMS.
Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:10 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,379,585 times
JAMS14, i am so sorry your family is going thru this. I cannot even imagine. this may be a place where we argue about stuff but this puts things in perspective. no sides of a debate. just a family going thru a hard place. know that we are here wishing the best and praying for recovery.

Old 03-31-2020, 08:52 AM

36,529 posts, read 30,856,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Women are tough! They have been doing this without the husband there for centuries!

Not to make light of it. But I think that you will find that there will be much support from within the hospital system knowing these concerns. It make take some creative technology, face time and such to have the husband's presence there at the birth.

We hope all goes well with expectant Mothers and new Babies!
Remember when husbands weren't allowed in labor and delivery. They waited in the waiting room until mother and baby were out of delivery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies