Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 08:30 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times

Advertisements

My son is in ICU on a ventilator. He is 36 years old, and yes, a smoker. He presented last night with fever and pneumonia.

No visitors allowed to ICU, and I’ve been unable to get through to the ICU unit on the phone for hours now. My call gets rerouted to a dead phone bank. No way to know what’s happening, no way to get a prognosis or even an update at this point.

I am one person. Multiply that by thousands and you get the idea of what it’s like on the other side,with people waiting to see if our loved ones will survive, waiting to hear what is happening with them, unable to speak to a doctor to find out their condition.

I think of my son, all alone, probably scared, with no one to talk to him, no one to comfort him other than an overworked staff, while his family waits in anxious limbo for any news.

This is a part of the nightmare that isn’t talked about, but is happening wherever this virus has taken hold. It's a feeling of complete helplessness. I don’t wish this on anybody. All you people pooh-poohing this virus as no big deal,please understand the far-reaching ramifications of this un-contained spread. An overwhelmed medical system affects everyone in ways they don't even realize. You have no idea what a nightmare this is until/unless it strikes you or your family firsthand.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:37 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,197,584 times
My friend is due to deliver in 3 days. She has already been told that her husband will not be allowed in the hospital since the hospital has a no visitor policy in place. That policy applies to everyone even if they are not there for coronavirus.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
My friend is due to deliver in 3 days. She has already been told that her husband will not be allowed in the hospital since the hospital has a no visitor policy in place. That policy applies to everyone even if they are not there for coronavirus.
I have a niece who is due in five weeks. I'm afraid that will be her fate as well. Delivering her first baby all alone, with no one even allowed to visit her afterward.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:43 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
My son is in ICU on a ventilator. He is 36 years old, and yes, a smoker. He presented last night with fever and pneumonia.

No visitors allowed to ICU, and I’ve been unable to get through to the ICU unit on the phone for hours now. My call gets rerouted to a dead phone bank. No way to know what’s happening, no way to get a prognosis or even an update at this point.

I am one person. Multiply that by thousands and you get the idea of what it’s like on the other side,with people waiting to see if our loved ones will survive, waiting to hear what is happening with them, unable to speak to a doctor to find out their condition.

I think of my son, all alone, probably scared, with no one to talk to him, no one to comfort him other than an overworked staff, while his family waits in anxious limbo for any news.

This is a part of the nightmare that isn’t talked about, but is happening wherever this virus has taken hold. It's a feeling of complete helplessness. I don’t wish this on anybody. All you people pooh-poohing this virus as no big deal,please understand the far-reaching ramifications of this un-contained spread. An overwhelmed medical system affects everyone in ways they don't even realize. You have no idea what a nightmare this is until/unless it strikes you or your family firsthand.
Oh my gosh! I wish your son and you the best of outcomes!

I'm a recently retire internist, my wife immuno-compromised, and she is in the ICU right now also. But not from covid19.

I can probably reassure you to some degree, in that most likely your son is sedated, so as to not suffer so much on the ventilator.

I myself have been there, and has my wife several times on a ventilator. So we know individually as patients, and I know as a doc, having done our local ICU/critical care for so long.

We now also know first hand of the extra load of frustrations that you are experiencing due to the nature of the virus on our communities and hospitals. So many hospital protocols have been recently and abruptly changed in regards to hospital visitors, for instance. It is hard for me to get through or get updates, and I'm still on our hospital staff. Although no longer an admitting doc.

So post here your questions and concerns, or even private message me, and I'll try and answer as best I can!

Old 03-28-2020, 08:44 AM

13,929 posts, read 5,614,791 times
15 years ago pneumonia almost killed me. I was 37 and a smoker. I spent 8 days in isolated ICU.

When I went to urgent care because I thought I had a bad flu, I found out that between septic shock and a few other corollary ailments related to a pneumonia I had left untreated for 12 days, I was a few hours at most away from dead.

I was pretty sick. I had all kinds of crap hooked up to me. It was scary and surreal. I get it.

But I will never agree to economy destroying national hysteria over what will be, at the end of the day, a bad flu. Bad flu is no joke and yeah, it can and does kill people. But regular flu kills tens of thousands every single year in a country with flu shot vaccines. This in no way diminishes what you are going through, but I also ponder the 4 million people who are now living on unemployment who weren't just three weeks ago. I don't want to diminish them either. I hope the best for your son and the single mom waitress who is freaking out over how $300 per week of unemployment will pay for her family.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:45 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,802,296 times
JAMS14, I am so sorry. I am hearing these types of stories daily from friends. I hope he has a full recovery. I get more frightened by the day with more and more stories emerging about young people being hospitalized.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:46 AM

18,803 posts, read 8,461,211 times
Quote:
I have a niece who is due in five weeks. I'm afraid that will be her fate as well. Delivering her first baby all alone, with no one even allowed to visit her afterward.
Women are tough! They have been doing this without the husband there for centuries!

Not to make light of it. But I think that you will find that there will be much support from within the hospital system knowing these concerns. It make take some creative technology, face time and such to have the husband's presence there at the birth.

We hope all goes well with expectant Mothers and new Babies!

Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:

Thank you for providing this perspective. I'm terribly sorry that you're in the position of having it. Best wishes for your son, and for you.

Too many are arguing over this as if it's just some new political topic. This isn't political, and it kills me to see people acting as though it is. Idiots, all of them.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Oh my gosh! I wish your son and you the best of outcomes!

I'm a recently retire internist, my wife immuno-compromised, and she is in the ICU right now also. But not from covid19.

I can probably reassure you to some degree, in that most likely your son is sedated, so as to not suffer so much on the ventilator.

I myself have been there, and has my wife several times on a ventilator. So we know individually as patients, and I know as a doc, having done our local ICU/critical care for so long.

We now also know first hand of the extra load of frustrations that you are experiencing due to the nature of the virus on our communities and hospitals. So many hospital protocols have been recently and abruptly changed in regards to hospital visitors, for instance. It is hard for me to get through or get updates, and I'm still on our hospital staff. Although no longer an admitting doc.

So post here your questions and concerns, or even private message me, and I'll try and answer as best I can!
Thank you so much. You have eased my mind a bit. I do hope he is sedated. I would feel better knowing that at least he isn't awake and aware and afraid and unable to communicate. It's the not knowing that is the most terrifying and frustrating aspect of this.

Old 03-28-2020, 08:49 AM

23,844 posts, read 24,091,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
Quote:
Have either looked into birthing at home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies