Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2020, 11:14 AM

14,489 posts, read 6,098,111 times

Advertisements

https://mobile.twitter.com/washingto...27020984619008

Are they right, or are there advantages to homeschooling?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 AM

15,834 posts, read 6,543,563 times
With the right parents, I suspect home schooling can be very beneficial due to the more intensive one-on-one instruction. For the most part though it's probably better to have trained professional teachers instructing our youth using a standardized curriculum, rather than inexperienced parents teaching haphazardly.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:19 AM

15,862 posts, read 21,441,250 times
Homeschooling can be great when parents make that choice.

Right now, many kids are at home with parents who are both working themselves, parents who are under tremendous financial strain, perhaps limited access to technology to facilitate learning, or any combination of the above. This is particularly devastating for parents who have children with disabilities. My boss is currently trying to do her full time, critical job from home while taking care of a 12 year old boy who is bouncing off the walls and a 7 year old daughter with profound disabilities who is not able to get her regular therapies that she normally gets at school. Her husband is a first responder and is self-isolating elsewhere to protect the family.

Right now, most families are literally just trying to get through day by day.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:30 AM

34,231 posts, read 18,579,444 times
The Washington Post is pure far left, Democrat propaganda. They are worried the Teacher's Unions and their Progressive (Democrat) indoctrination of our children will slow down due to home schooling. That is ALL they care about.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:34 AM

20,722 posts, read 16,372,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
https://mobile.twitter.com/washingto...27020984619008

Are they right, or are there advantages to homeschooling?
Most parents are relatively uneducated themselves and/or have no understanding of how to teach kids. Oh, yeah, and the time and attention it takes. You can't just send them out in the yard to look at bugs for the day...well, maybe that works once, then you have to actually plan something. It sure doesn't work for kids older than 6 or 7. But we've set the stage by paying teachers so little that people think anyone can do it.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:36 AM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times
I suspect there are millions of parents right now who are re-evaluating their beliefs on what teachers are worth, and now agree that we don't pay them nearly enough for the difficult jobs they perform.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:38 AM

20,104 posts, read 9,018,880 times
How many Post reporters have kids going to DC public schools. I bet less than 10%.

24,492 posts, read 17,232,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Washington Post is pure far left, Democrat propaganda. They are worried the Teacher's Unions and their Progressive (Democrat) indoctrination of our children will slow down due to home schooling. That is ALL they care about.

I was thinking the same. Who is going to brainwash the kids into believing that Bernie and other Dems are the answer while hating on Trump no matter what he does?

I once asked my now 9 year old niece what she thinks of Trump and she doesn't like him one bit. I asked her why and she didn't know. I would say she has been brainwashed.

I wonder how the parents are doing with teaching their kids that new math?

Imagine if this shut down hardship/crisis could actually be a turning point for America where the school aged generation returns to family values and ceases being as self centered and demanding as the 20 something generation is today?

11,143 posts, read 10,711,121 times
This mandated homeschooling may be the best thing that ever happened for teachers. A whole lot of self entitled “my kids are perfect” parents are about to realize that the teachers aren’t the problem and that their precious little angels are not, in fact, such great students.

With any luck, the whole participation trophy culture will die the death it deserved years ago.

In the meantime, with the bars closed and parents forced to actually spend time with their children, my liquor store sales are up by 40% or so.

Old 03-28-2020, 11:42 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
Conservative here, I willingly homeschooled my daughter who ended up double majoring and graduating with honors from a selective "public Ivy League" university (University of Michigan Ann Arbor) and with no social deficits as is commonly assumed by people who are against homeschooling. That said, I give most of the credit to my daughter who was very driven and committed, and to the online curriculum that I used (Christian based). However, if the parent is not totally committed and doing it out of a strong desire to provide an alternative to public schools, then it could be a big mistake.

I know a woman who worked 50+ hours a week and "homeschooled" her four kids which consisted of leaving them home with a pile of books and papers while she and her husband worked all day (the oldest was a young teenager old enough to babysit, so it wasn't like four very young kids left unsupervised). It was a train wreck, not surprisingly.

All kinds of shades of gray with this subject but yes, homeschooling can be a great option under the proper circumstances and I agree with the PP who stated that the MSM and liberals who run it are really more concerned about losing their opportunity to indoctrinate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies