Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 09:14 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,652,113 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
In bold. True, true true. One need only fly international to India or China to this in practice.
As an example of obeying the law, in the United States it is typical for the police to issue a speeding ticket with a hefty fine to get a driver to change his behavior and slow down.

In India, by contrast, a driver will just laugh at a fine like that and simply blow it off. The police will instead have to walk up to the driver and give him one tight slap across the face to warn him to change his behavior. That is the kind of cultural difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 09:19 AM

29,817 posts, read 24,898,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'd use drones to spray tear gas on groups of people out at the lakes, parks and beaches in violation of lockdown orders.

That's why I will always vote for the exact opposite of whoever you are voting for.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:07 PM

73,009 posts, read 62,585,728 times
Quote:
Different countries different cultures. I am sure people get beaten with sticks for a good many things in India. They get what they accept.....

In the USA people riot at the drop of a hat. We honestly don't need much of an excuse to burn a town down.
In the Deep South public whippings were common. Those who were subjected to it decided they weren't going to take anymore crap. In America we won't accept it if it's done to us. We've rioted over sports. We'll riot of police randomly beat people. Talk to th residents of Los Angeles about that.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I'd use drones to spray tear gas on groups of people out at the lakes, parks and beaches in violation of lockdown orders.
I'll have a face mask ready. I'm of the temperament that you need armed soldiers to keep me on lockdown. I go to the grocery store, and I can work from home. I still need to go outside and at least take a walk. I won't be touching anyone. This is the thing. Tear gas won't stop me. You would need bullets and guns for that.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
As an example of obeying the law, in the United States it is typical for the police to issue a speeding ticket with a hefty fine to get a driver to change his behavior and slow down.

In India, by contrast, a driver will just laugh at a fine like that and simply blow it off. The police will instead have to walk up to the driver and give him one tight slap across the face to warn him to change his behavior. That is the kind of cultural difference.
For alot of people here in America, a fine is nothing to laugh about. It's money down the drain. I would hope it would be the same in India, which is a much poorer country. On the other hand, I think about this. There are people here who literally have no regard for the law, and even a beating would not correct them, not even a rough prison sentence.

Old 03-29-2020, 05:56 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
In the Deep South public whippings were common. Those who were subjected to it decided they weren't going to take anymore crap. In America we won't accept it if it's done to us. We've rioted over sports. We'll riot of police randomly beat people. Talk to th residents of Los Angeles about that.
In America we will riot because the wind changed directions. We have demonstrations for every slight real and or imagined. Some are valid and some are just a sad joke and that's the problem. It's the story of the boy who cried wolf. We have so many demonstrations that it is hard to take any of them seriously.

I live in another country now. I see the police do things that ours would never dare do. I also see people happy and humble. They may not be rich but they have all they need or want, their family. We used to be that way. We have lost that over the last few decades.

India is a place I would never live. Not because of the police, but because what is accepted behaviors. Just as I would never live in N.Korea or I ran or most Muslim Countries in the ME.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:44 PM

Quote:
In America we will riot because the wind changed directions. We have demonstrations for every slight real and or imagined. Some are valid and some are just a sad joke and that's the problem. It's the story of the boy who cried wolf. We have so many demonstrations that it is hard to take any of them seriously.

I live in another country now. I see the police do things that ours would never dare do. I also see people happy and humble. They may not be rich but they have all they need or want, their family. We used to be that way. We have lost that over the last few decades.

India is a place I would never live. Not because of the police, but because what is accepted behaviors. Just as I would never live in N.Korea or I ran or most Muslim Countries in the ME.
People will riot over perceived injustices. If the stuff police do in India started becoming commonplace here, there would be an uproar.

I don't know how the residents where you live could put up with abuse from the police. Even with having family around, there are things people should stand up against.

I couldn't live in India. Some of the behaviors that are accepted are bizarre. I watched a documentary about toilets. It turned my stomach to see people openly defacating on the beaches. BEACHES for crying out loud.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:45 PM

20,104 posts, read 9,011,934 times
Quote:
Need to do what?
intimidate people to stay inside

Old 03-29-2020, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
intimidate people to stay inside
I think people would rather fight than stay inside. If what happens in India started happening here, I would expect riots. Many in the USA has a "Live Free or Die" mentality.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:58 PM

22,469 posts, read 11,990,487 times
Quote:
I don't want anyone to die. But this is what I was talking about. There are individuals, that if you talk to them, ask them this question: Would you rather deal with the lockdown, or deal with dying? Some people would rather take their chances with Covid-19 than deal with what they perceive as insanity related to lockdown. The way I see it, you put someone in a cage long enough, they'll go crazy.
The problem is that these people then go home and infect their friends and family. It's not just the #COVIDIOTS who "are taking their chances". They are risking infecting their loved ones.

If there are people who can't stay inside or "they'll go crazy", that still doesn't give any of them the right to infect others through their own selfishness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies