Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 10:45 AM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,020 times

Advertisements

Wow. You had a whole lot of time to get close to all these other shoppers and analyze their carts. You don’t know anyone’s story. Hoarder? Perhaps, and yeah, they suck. Or someone out shopping to deliver groceries to the elderly? You have no idea and you can’t control them. You could have controlled your reaction so yeah, this brings out the worst in people. Especially those who were already lacking in empathy. I suggest you do delivery from now on. You will have to plan ahead. I haven’t gone to the grocery store in 2 years. Not changing now. You can also sign up for meal kits. We get a few meals a week...fresh meat, veggies, etc. that I cook instead of worrying about the store.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:45 AM

10,093 posts, read 6,431,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT113876 View Post
If you live in an area that has it, Amazon Fresh is an alternative. There are other sites for dry goods such as Jet.com and so on.

I don't go to grocery stores anymore, not worth the risk.
Thanks for posting the name of the site Jet.com! I was trying so hard to think of that site the other day and couldn't remember it to save my life! I used to order household and paper goods there and will try again.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:46 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,012,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If you live near a Whole Foods, you can order groceries through Amazon and get them fresh. Also, you can sign up through Shipt and get your groceries delivered from a variety of grocery stores in your area. I hadn't been to the store in weeks due to illness and had my groceries delivered from 3 different stores (Weiss had the most things on my list). The "pickers" will text as they're picking the order if they need to substitute and they leave the bags right on my porch - no personal contact required. The only reason I went to WalMart at all was I had a required in-store pickup of a plastic shelving unit for stuff I'm unpacking from the garage, so I bought some groceries at the same time. I'll be back to Shipt from now on; it's worth it to me as cases increase in my town.
Yup already suggested that.

There are so many great suggestions & different ways of looking at things in this thread.

People are amazing.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:49 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STL74 View Post
Wow. You had a whole lot of time to get close to all these other shoppers and analyze their carts. You don’t know anyone’s story. Hoarder? Perhaps, and yeah, they suck. Or someone out shopping to deliver groceries to the elderly? You have no idea and you can’t control them. You could have controlled your reaction so yeah, this brings out the worst in people. Especially those who were already lacking in empathy.
Then the stores which have purchase limits must be lacking in empathy.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 AM

78,409 posts, read 60,593,823 times
Comments:

1) Someone may have not shown up for work.

2) If it's early morning, they may not be heavily staffed and then got hit with two major shopper loads. That isn't their fault.

3) Those "hoarders" maybe have a large family and may even be shopping for an elderly neighbor or two while they were at it. You didn't say how many carts they had either but it sounds like hyperbole "family of 6 for 3 months" yeah...I've been there done that and unless the lady had 6 cars strapped together like a wagon train...nuff said.

4) With all that said. I hope you are calmed down now, we all get frustrated from time to time and lashing out at others is not the right way to handle things.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:52 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Oh and OP, why did you make this a more political thread by saying it is because people are paid to be at home?

Old 03-29-2020, 10:57 AM

12,265 posts, read 6,470,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I just returned from an early-morning trip to my neighborhood grocery store, and there were TWO cashiers checking people out. Each person had enough in their cart to feed a family of 6 for three months, hoarding galore, and the self-checkout (which I ultimately ended up using, despite my "normal" full cart), had a wait as well, with people checking out full grocery carts because the "service" lanes were closed.

I complained (loudly) that the store is making a ton of money off the selfish hoarders, and they are buying up so much that it takes 20 minutes to check them out (yes....I said this in front of a hoarder), then why did they bring in only two cashiers to run the check-outs?! The answer came: we don't have enough cashiers because people are not applying for jobs.

Now, there are two possibilities:

1) That was a lie, and the major chain grocery store is just too cheap to staff the lines, even though they are making a fortune, or

2) All the out-of-work waitresses and retail store checkers know they will get their full salaries for four months, and so why should they work?

If it's the latter, it is insane that 3 million people claimed unemployment compensation, and jobs can't be filled because people know they will "earn" more doing nothing.
My daughter is a manager at a Pa. restaurant where the servers are paid $2.90 an hour and the law allows that because they are "tipped" employees. They are ineligible for unemployment compensation and will collect nothing.

Old 03-29-2020, 10:59 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,894,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
My daughter is a manager at a Pa. restaurant where the servers are paid $2.90 an hour and the law allows that because they are "tipped" employees. They are ineligible for unemployment compensation and will collect nothing.
Yep and who knows about support staff at schools getting paid during the summer. If there aren't jobs open, and we cannot get unemployment, what are we to do?

Old 03-29-2020, 11:03 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
Thanks. I am so furious right now that I can't even eat my breakfast. By the time I got to the self-check line (which was close to 40 minutes), and then took another 10 minutes to struggle through it, and then go to the car, and then drove home, my frozen stuff was practically melted.

Also, I am so fed up with these selfish people. I was standing next to the ground beef section, waiting a few feet away while the man in front made his selection, and he took up every remaining package - and right while he knew I was waiting! Dang but this virus has revealed people for the nasty, selfish people they are.

P.S. Did I mention I was furious?
Yeah. You did. It doesn't take much from what I can see. Go to any grocery store right after a snowstorm is predicted.

That said - hoarding seems to be one of the worst American traits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
I'm still trying to figure out how the 'pay people not to work' theme was introduced.

LOL.

None of these people are using money they have been given for not working - checks haven't gone out yet.

The store is most likely suffering from a shortage of staff because fewer people want to be exposed

But somehow it's about people getting paid not to work........lol.

That was a stretch.
It often is.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:05 AM

11,780 posts, read 5,792,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantabridgienne View Post
You have no idea who people are shopping for. But sure, make a scene at the grocery store, another crazy old lady ranting is nothing new, just kind of annoying for those in earshot.
I'm sure other customers were just as enraged that they are standing in lines for up to 40 minutes when the store could have opened more cash registers. No one wants to stand in line not knowing if the person next to you is sick.

This is what I've seen - people have a lot of mouth when they sit behind a keyboard or on the phone but are sheep when they have to say something to so0meone face to face.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies