Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 11:06 AM

46,943 posts, read 25,964,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indigo Cardinal View Post
Would you want to work in retail right now, the way things are, if you didn't have to?
But - the lower classes not falling in line is so inconvenient. The poor OP had to wait in line!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,066,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel976 View Post
I just returned from an early-morning trip to my neighborhood grocery store, and there were TWO cashiers checking people out. Each person had enough in their cart to feed a family of 6 for three months, hoarding galore, and the self-checkout (which I ultimately ended up using, despite my "normal" full cart), had a wait as well, with people checking out full grocery carts because the "service" lanes were closed.

I complained (loudly) that the store is making a ton of money off the selfish hoarders, and they are buying up so much that it takes 20 minutes to check them out (yes....I said this in front of a hoarder), then why did they bring in only two cashiers to run the check-outs?! The answer came: we don't have enough cashiers because people are not applying for jobs.

Now, there are two possibilities:

1) That was a lie, and the major chain grocery store is just too cheap to staff the lines, even though they are making a fortune, or

2) All the out-of-work waitresses and retail store checkers know they will get their full salaries for four months, and so why should they work?

If it's the latter, it is insane that 3 million people claimed unemployment compensation, and jobs can't be filled because people know they will "earn" more doing nothing.
Or three, workers don't think it's worthwhile to put their lives on the line for a minimum wage job that could get them sick or killed. How incredibly selfish of them to inconvenience Rachel by making her wait for 20 whole minutes because they didn't want to risk their lives so her line would be shorter.

I imagine shoppers who loudly berate the very people who are still on the job are the bane of these poor people's existence. Shop online. Everyone would be happier.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:08 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Yup. It was a 24-roll double pack, so the equivalent of 48 rolls, and she had 10 packages. So equivalent to 480 rolls. And by the time I left the store, they were out of toilet paper again. Selfish, selfish, selfish.

That's crazy. It's a respiratory virus, y'all! It doesn't give you the trots!!

Old 03-29-2020, 11:11 AM

6,855 posts, read 2,842,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
https://www.fififm.top/?fbclid=IwAR0...ANdbiERyZh61DM

Here get yourself some TP -- lol

It's a site selling toilet paper, paper towels We are a business-to-business (B2B) and business-to-customer(B2C) online facotry, which is comprehensive trade solution provider and offers one-stop trade services to international buyers and wholesalers

"facotry"?

LOL

Old 03-29-2020, 11:11 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
no limits?
No, there were no limits.

Also, to posters suggesting senior hour, thank you, but I did try that the first time I went to the grocery store. There were people waiting outside the store, and it was crowded. Thus I went after 7 this morning. The advantage I see to the senior hour, though, is that there were no hoarders, possibly because it would be difficult for them (us) to manage all those crates of food. So....more people, but a faster “pass” through the checkout.

Thank you to the posters suggesting various ordering/delivery options.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:12 AM

3,163 posts, read 1,724,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
My daughter is a manager at a Pa. restaurant where the servers are paid $2.90 an hour and the law allows that because they are "tipped" employees. They are ineligible for unemployment compensation and will collect nothing.
Don’t they report their tips as income and file taxes like the rest of us working stiffs? Or do they just skip that part and keep non-taxed tips? The waitresses at my fave restaurant make really good tip money- not sure why they wouldn’t qualify?

Old 03-29-2020, 11:12 AM

18,489 posts, read 9,149,606 times
It’s not selfish to complain you had to wait a few minutes longer at a grocery store during a global pandemic, when many people have to shop sick people under quarantine. Not selfish at all.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:14 AM

12,382 posts, read 8,134,444 times
Quote:
No, there were no limits.

Also, to posters suggesting senior hour, thank you, but I did try that the first time I went to the grocery store. There were people waiting outside the store, and it was crowded. Thus I went after 7 this morning. The advantage I see to the senior hour, though, is that there were no hoarders, possibly because it would be difficult for them (us) to manage all those crates of food. So....more people, but a faster “pass” through the checkout.

Thank you to the posters suggesting various ordering/delivery options.
After the first panic weekend the line outside just became the 6 foot limit social distancing line. Instead of lining up at the check stand to get out you line up before getting in and zoom through the checkout. We had some light rain during week 1 so I wonder how long the public will continue to cooperate if we get bad weather

Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,496,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
It’s not selfish to complain you had to wait a few minutes longer at a grocery store during a global pandemic, when many people have to shop sick people under quarantine. Not selfish at all.
Huh? Are you being sarcastic? Yes, it is concerning when someone in the vulnerable group such as myself has to stand 40 minutes in close contact with others, increasing risk of infection, because selfish hoarders have slowed the lines and there are only two cashiers open.

Old 03-29-2020, 11:20 AM

552 posts, read 222,965 times
I was in a long line at 7:45 a.m. today at the grocery store that opened at 8 for seniors
only. A young man came from the parking lot and tried to cut in front of the
line, but an old lady beat him back into the parking lot with her cane.
He returned and tried to cut in again but an old man punched him in the gut, then
kicked him to the ground and rolled him away.
As he approached the line for the 3rd time he said, "If you don't let me unlock the
door, you'll never get in there".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies