Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:54 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times

Advertisements

"Rice University and Canadian global health design firm Metric Technologies have developed an automated bag valve mask ventilation unit that can be built for less than $300 worth of parts."

https://news.rice.edu/2020/03/27/ven...echnologies-2/

Maybe this idea will take off across the world of healthcare?

I hope so.

Imagine what would happen to the affordability of healthcare if we could lose the mentality that medical equipment must cost tens of thousands of dollars or more.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 07:43 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
that’s awesome.
I was thinking about this recently, wondering why ventilators had to be so insanely expensive.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:10 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FatBob96 View Post
"Rice University and Canadian global health design firm Metric Technologies have developed an automated bag valve mask ventilation unit that can be built for less than $300 worth of parts."

I hope so.

Imagine what would happen to the affordability of healthcare if we could lose the mentality that medical equipment must cost tens of thousands of dollars or more.......
The prices of medical equipment is jacked up by all the regulations and threat of litigation. Also, a vent can be very simple, or it can be very complicated. There are a huge range of ventilator settings beyond simple tidal volume and rate. The multitude of different vent setting options is beyond the scope of this forum to discuss, but believe me- not all vents are created equal.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:15 AM

18,453 posts, read 7,081,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
The prices of medical equipment is jacked up by all the regulations and threat of litigation. Also, a vent can be very simple, or it can be very complicated. There are a huge range of ventilator settings beyond simple tidal volume and rate. The multitude of different vent setting options is beyond the scope of this forum to discuss, but believe me- not all vents are created equal.

Acknowledged, just using this as an example of what's possible if we really put our minds to it.

I think that putting more effort into finding ways to lower the cost of healthcare is more productive than trying to promote single payer, while letting the status quo of insane pricing stay the same.

If healthcare wasn't so bloody expensive, single payer would be both more affordable and less necessary.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:17 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,555,493 times
Quote:

I hope so.

Would they be able to pass all the government regulations to get it approved for medical use for zero dollar?

Old 03-29-2020, 08:28 AM

12,368 posts, read 9,473,336 times
That's great in terms of our present predicament. I'd be careful about extrapolating out though. The $300 only covers parts. Not assembly, energy, building rent, staff pay and benefits, distribution, marketing, etc, and I doubt that it's really the equivalent of a $25,000 ventilator in terms of performance, features and durability. For now, improvised designs that can be quickly and inexpensively built, are great.

Not saying medical equipment isn't generally overpriced, mind you, but you still want to compare things realistically if that's your goal.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:34 AM

30,058 posts, read 18,652,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
That's great in terms of our present predicament. I'd be careful about extrapolating out though. The $300 only covers parts. Not assembly, energy, building rent, staff pay and benefits, distribution, marketing, etc, and I doubt that it's really the equivalent of a $25,000 ventilator in terms of performance, features and durability. For now, improvised designs that can be quickly and inexpensively built, are great.

Not saying medical equipment isn't generally overpriced, mind you, but you still want to compare things realistically if that's your goal.
Indeed- and today, even the simplest of medical ventilators have MANY vent settings and options. It is a little more complicated than people think.

1. controlled, assist control, SIMV
2. PEEP/no PEEP
3. pressure support
4. peak airway pressure settings
5. CO2 absorbers with rebreathing units

................... just to name a few. A vent is not as simple of a device as most people think.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:09 AM

1,438 posts, read 1,962,483 times
Quote:

I hope so.

Unfortunately, this doesn’t prove anything. Was there anybody who thought that a team of smart engineers from any one of a hundred universities, or from Parker, Eaton, Danaher, Lockheed, Boeing, etc., etc, couldn’t come up with a limited functionality ventilator for a few hundred bucks? The engineering and the parts aren’t the issue. I hope it gets deployed in this emergency, and it might even get traction in 3rd world countries, but long-term, the lawyers and regulators will assure it costs $30,000 here.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:32 AM

17,441 posts, read 9,261,206 times
Quote:

I hope so.

It doesn't matter if they could build them for $1. -- FDA has to approve them before they can be used.
THAT is the hold-up on everything. FDA approval.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:40 AM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
It doesn't matter if they could build them for $1. -- FDA has to approve them before they can be used.
THAT is the hold-up on everything. FDA approval.
Yep, the FDA is killing Americans again.

They were preventing private labs from testing for this virus and along with the CDC and the Trump administration are responsible for our situation today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies