Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 06:45 PM

34,045 posts, read 17,064,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Can't imagine any one would be surprised the biggest city in the USA has most cases. Math isn't hard for most but for some it is impossible.
NYC has 50 times as many per capita than 20x states do.

Per capita, I'm sure you know adjusts for population differences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 06:46 PM

8,337 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Turned down? Every state could have stock- piled for a 1/100 year event.

They did not not because of a lack of funding.

No state or country is prepared for a pandemic like this.

NYC will peak first. When it diminishes, equipment can be shipped to other states

The entire country is not going to peak in unison.
There are only so many ventilators to go around. Like Trump said today he needs to keep a number of them for other hot spots and if he gives too many to Cuomo good luck getting them back when others need them.

I think he and his staff know how to delegate ventilators in this situation better than you or I. Of course Cuomo and others messed up and are now demanding more ventilators. Other lives are just as important as theirs. He’s not using 1/10th of what he’s got.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:52 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
NY should not though demand as Cuomo did 100% of the Feds inventory.

I would favor distribute , as the Fed has, a substantial % based on a states % of total cases. They should remain Federal property the entire time, with the Feds dictating when supply sent to NY is moved. Not a governor.

They should also btw not reimburse any state with a large % of its revenue shrink due to its self-imposed rules. You make the rules, Cuomo, you balance the budget with your new revenue stream, which your rules decimated. That will have governors gauging, per Cuomo's mothers favorite line, "risk and reward" prudently.
That’s not how you negotiate for any commodity.

The virus is on a roll. There are hot spots all over the US and it will spread from there. How many Mardi- Gras revelers and spring breakers have spread the virus?

Cuomo has been very clear he will deliver the equipment to other states in need.

I really wish Trump would cease the them vs us thing. It’s the USA. Unlike states, the Federal Government has unlimited financial resources.

Disasters, natural, financial and now health are socialized.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:55 PM

57,269 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Cuomo and De Blasio have done nowhere near enough to keep people off the streets. They are not taken seriously and too many New Yorkers don’t care what they say about social distancing or staying indoors.

NYC has more CV cases than any other city on the planet yet they barely break the top 10 most populated cities in the world. Cuomo and De Blasio had/have a responsibility and they failed. Get someone in there that can take charge. Law enforcement should be asking those out in public to stay home and/or citing them.

Far too many NYers are not simply going out for groceries or other needs. Cuomo has complained about people hanging out at the park, playing basketball, and not social distancing and he doesn’t attempt to enforce any of it.

There is no excuse for 53,000 cases and counting. And now he wants to sue other cities/states for monitoring their incoming traffic from NY. Disgusting.

https://www.foxnews.com/opinion/tuck...navirus-threat
Just remember that statement a few weeks from now, not that I wish this on the rest of the country but we are going to see more cases nation wide on the same level. Many states are far behind NY and shouldn't take the current levels as a long term success story.

Old 03-29-2020, 06:59 PM

17,791 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
This thread is about Cuomo and De Blasio. There are plenty of other threads where Trump is the theme.

How do you think Cuomo and De Blasio have done so far?
Obviously not very well. But nobody is going to get on here and call Cuomo and De Blasio "scumbags" without some push back regarding Trump's reputation in NYC.

What is ridiculous is that all three are playing their petty hatred out in front of the American public. But Trump does that with a lot of people. I don't know if Cuomo and De Blasio do to others so I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:02 PM

Quote:
There are only so many ventilators to go around. Like Trump said today he needs to keep a number of them for other hot spots and if he gives too many to Cuomo good luck getting them back when others need them.

I think he and his staff know how to delegate ventilators in this situation better than you or I. Of course Cuomo and others messed up and are now demanding more ventilators. Other lives are just as important as theirs. He’s not using 1/10th of what he’s got.
He knows the squeaky wheel gets oiled especially when it is by far, the most populous state.

He has managed to get all 3 cable news networks to cover the daily Cuomo Show.

Again, no state or country is prepared for a 1/100 year pandemic.

Trump at one point told the states to find and buy their own stuff. In a blink of an eye, states were competing with each other and the Fed, bidding up prices. Insanity.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:04 PM

8,337 posts, read 2,963,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
De Blasio is a clown.

Cuomo and De Blasio don't get along. They had to hedge their bets between calling for an immediate curfew and inciting panic, and it seems they disagreed on some actions. In a perfect world, you shut everything down for 3 weeks and you stop the spread in it's tracks. This isn't China. The first reaction of many people to being told what they should do is "f you".

Cuomo has done a decent job and in some areas he and the Feds have gotten things right working together.

No one was prepared for something like this...that is not the same thing as saying it was a hoax to hurt your re-election bid. Be that hoax the virus itself or the medias "overreaction" to it. His main confidant..who he admits he talks to regularly, Sean Hannity, called it a hoax.

Many who support Trump in the media (social media, right wing blogs) continue to allude that it is a hoax to harm Trump, or take your guns, or turn the country communist. The same garbage they bring up after every tragedy. He could have done a world of good going on Hannity telling everyone it WASN'T a hoax a long time ago. Never did it.

This is why the same posters, including you, have to continue to go around putting down Cuomo and De Blasio. Trump dug his own grave with the hoax talk...so this is the new "offense" from the right.

His quotes, hannity's quotes, Limbaughs quotes..they aren't going away, no matter how many times right wing trolls on this site say "New York has the most number of cases because of Cuomo"

No one who isn't a complete moron believes that's why NY has the most cases. It's like saying the WTC was attacked because Guiliani was a bad mayor.
Who is currently stating that this is a hoax. Do you have any link? There is nobody suggesting it’s a hoax unless it’s some clown out of their mind. I don’t see it.

Cuomo has a responsibility with his state that has a city with the highest rates of cases of any other city on earth even though there are 9 cities with higher pops and just as dense. Maybe he’d be better off running some Midwest state like North Dakota. I wouldn’t trust Blasio anywhere.

At least you agree that De Blasio is a clown. Cuomo should have stepped in for that fool. What’s the point of having a governor if they don’t take control of their state?

Old 03-29-2020, 07:05 PM

36,853 posts, read 17,360,513 times
Quote:
Cuomo and De Blasio have been a disaster. Feds should take over NY
Republicans/conservatives calling for a strong centralized fed guv and ignoring "state's rights".

My-o-my.

Between that and Donald "Karl Marx 2.0" Trump it's as if Team Red really only believes in capitalism and small government when the beer is flowing and the chicks are easy.

Rock on, Red.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
Just remember that statement a few weeks from now, not that I wish this on the rest of the country but we are going to see more cases nation wide on the same level. Many states are far behind NY and shouldn't take the current levels as a long term success story.
There’s a reason why Trump invoked Federal authority to compel GM to manufacture ventilators.

The models show how the peak will roll out from current hot spots.

Old 03-29-2020, 07:06 PM

35,061 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:

Cuomo first denied that 2000 were in warehouses and then said they were being "stockpiled." Translation; the political machines will dole them out in their sweet time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies