Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 01:29 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
I wouldn't mind that. What I'd really like would be an age limit of about 70 for presidential candidates...and some easier means for congress to remove them from their position than them actually doing something illegal or relying on their cabinet to say they're incompetent. Also, I'd like some psychological tests done for potential members of the government, and they couldn't run unless they pass.

Yeah...I assume congress messed up quite a bit too in places. It's just harder to tell in what spots.
Actually doing something illegal isn’t required.

Only doing so in the opinion of {minds and voting fingers of) U.S. Reps and Senators is required.

All that matters is what they are willing to vote on, not what actually is.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:30 PM

1,070 posts, read 392,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
This is untrue.

The World Health Organization did not offer the US any testing kits.

“No discussions occurred between WHO and CDC about WHO providing COVID-19 tests to the United States,” said WHO spokesperson Margaret Harris. “This is consistent with experience since the United States does not ordinarily rely on WHO for reagents or diagnostic tests because of sufficient domestic capacity.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/khn.org...r-offered/amp/
You're partially right Calgirl

"Aid groups, such as the Pan American Health Organization, took that model and built their training and supplies around it. If the model was like the recipe in a cookbook, the supplies were the ingredients in a home meal kit from Blue Apron.

Any country could use whatever recipe it preferred, and even if the United States had picked the WHO’s protocol, it wouldn’t need the WHO to sell it the materials to follow it. Germany released its protocol on Jan. 17, but the U.S. decided to have the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention develop its own. That protocol was published Jan. 28.

In this instance, this caused a lag in testing for the virus in the U.S.

The CDC’s test was different and more complicated than the German test. It worked in the CDC lab, but when the materials went out to state labs, some of them got inconsistent results. The CDC had to resend packages with new chemical reagents.

State laboratories started developing their own tests and were ready to use them, but had to wait for emergency approval from the Food and Drug Administration. All of this added up to a delay in testing capabilities which resulted in fewer Americans being tested and an overall slower U.S. response compared to other countries.

When asked to respond to Biden’s claim, the Trump campaign pointed to multiple news stories that said it's not uncommon for the U.S. and other countries to develop their own tests during outbreaks, and that the CDC did so during Ebola and Zika outbreaks. The campaign also said the CDC's test had a quick turnaround compared to other diagnostic tests like MERS and Zika that took months to develop. And the issue with the CDC’s protocol was not the test itself, but rather a manufacturing defect, the campaign added.

That’s not how it works

While it might seem odd that the Trump administration shunned the WHO’s coronavirus test protocol, it’s normal for countries with advanced research capabilities to want to develop a measure that they trust.

"I don’t know if WHO agreed to sell the kits to us, but it should never have been something we needed to do given our technological expertise and the fact we would have ‘taken kits from low- and middle-income countries’ that otherwise could not make or afford them," said Michael Osterholm, director of the Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy at the University of Minnesota, in an email.

It’s also unlikely, Mores said, that the WHO offered to sell kits to the U.S., because that’s not normally what the organization does.

"In my experience, this is never something that I would have to purchase," he said.

Typically, Mores said, American labs have all of the basic ingredients and equipment to run the test — all that would be needed is the viral sequences and an exact test protocol. The only catch at the moment is that supplies of those basic ingredients are stretched thin due to high demand."

Old 03-29-2020, 01:33 PM

1,768 posts, read 715,615 times
The CDC has developed it's own test for decades.
For you people blaming Trump for this practice, why didn't Bill Clinton or Obama change this practice?

Above posters post has a good line.
"The only catch at the moment is that supplies of those basic ingredients are stretched thin due to high demand."

This is important for all you armchair quarterbacks who know nothing about manufacturing and think we can just magically make millions of test instantly.

We lost several weeks from China and WHO claiming no human to human transmission all the way up until at least Jan 14th.
CDC scientist botched first testing and cost us another 2 weeks.

Continue to blame Trump for everything out of your pure hated of the man though if you want.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:35 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyNC View Post
Say Newbie! I don't suppose you hava a source for "It’s been pointing out that NY doesn’t need 30,000 ventilators"

Do you??
It was in one of Trumps briefing, Dr Birx said NewYork has enough. Here it is from Cuomo, the hospitals don’t need them yet, the hospitals have enough ventilators as of today, it just wants to stockpile in case for the apex. Sound selfish to me. What about the rest of the nation.

https://www.npr.org/sections/coronav...and-uninformed

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
She’s washed up trash and nobody likes her.
I don’t like her either, but her constituents keep re-electing her, so they like her well enough.

8,614 posts, read 10,143,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
My goal is to spread the opinion that he's a bad presidential candidate...not to vent my own hate. I want people not to trust him so they'll not rely on his often misleading statements. I want people to be prepared to support any impeachment of him that may occur, and I dread the prospect of him being in office four more years.
Sounds more unstable and unhinged than anything.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:36 PM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skezo View Post
The CDC has developed it's own test for decades.
For you people blaming Trump for this practice, why didn't Bill Clinton or Obama change this practice?
Exactly. Haters are going to hate.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:36 PM

1,070 posts, read 392,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Usually, when you cut and paste left wing talking points, like that crap you just posted, you should cite your sources, because its glaringly obvious you have absolutely no clue or bothered to spend 1 nano second to see if the tripe you posted is accurate.

Quit embarrassing yourself
I thought that is was common knowlegde so I didn't bother to cite sources

https://fox40.com/news/political-con...avirus-threat/

https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlo...96f_story.html

Does this help you!?

Old 03-29-2020, 01:38 PM

14,472 posts, read 12,101,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
See Trump’s Coronavirus Timeline in post #25 on the “Does Trump deserve to be re-elected after this virus debacle ?” thread. It chronicles Trump’s lies and flip flopping on the issue.
The response evolved over time as everybody learned more. That’s different than lying.

It’s like you all expect some simple answer and there just isn’t one. This is what problem-solving looks like.

Old 03-29-2020, 01:38 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,344,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
Well, the $500 billion corporate slush fund is the PORK!
$500 Billion is never pork. That is ultimate sirloin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies