Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2020, 12:07 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,263,167 times

Advertisements

Nervous Nancy has a lot of gall. As she was caught up in a partisan, ridiculous impeachment (diverting the attention of Congress from anything else), people were dying (not here, but it certainly didn't help our preparation).

As she delayed passage of the stimulus bill, people were dying.

That hag needs to sit down and shut up.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:07 PM

25,461 posts, read 9,828,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana Holbrook View Post
Advice he knew Pence would ignore... IOW... it was a not serious... it was an attempt at humor in the middle of a loooong press conference. A Red herring for the haters to play with.

Seriously, there's a lot he says that is irritating and unnecessary... but the extreme reactions of the left drive me to him, not away.
Not only is what he saying irritating and unnecessary. It's downright dangerous. You can have him, honey.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:09 PM

18,759 posts, read 11,806,136 times
Instead of believing the gas lighting political response lets all research instead. Read WHO's guidelines for pandemic responses and you'll find that it is imperative that open honest discussion needs to take place. China tried to down play this and hide it. That poor young doctor was arrested for sounding the alarm and forced to retract his statement. He later died from it.

Trump down played it as 15 cases soon to be zero when he knew in December that this was going to be a pandemic from his own intel. There is still this bizarre disconnect from the reality of what's happening and needing a scapegoat like blaming the messenger instead of taking the message seriously. Fortunately, I'm seeing less and less of it from my right wing friends on Facebook. I think the reality of what's happening has finally sunk in.

Pelosi is spot on about how far behind the curve Trump was in dealing with this. We are nearly 3 months into this pandemic and we still are far behind the rest of the world in testing? Why? Bad numbers make Trump look bad?

This is nothing new. We saw SARS CoV on American soil in 2003, yet, it was efficiently eradicated before it became a pandemic. What happened this time? We should all want answers to that.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:10 PM

30,655 posts, read 18,263,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
This thread is so sad. The right does not like calling Trump names. But here they are doing it to Pelosi. The issues on the Relief Act dealt primarily with the $500 billion slush fund which in the end the Republicans got though with disclosure and oversight. Had nothing to do with "green new deal" stuff.

In fact the response was blown by everyone. The big problem was the belief it would not be casually transferred. And Trump did not even remotely stop arrivals from China in January. Simply restricted those who were not US citizens or permanent residents.

It was a awful screw up in the bowels of the government and cost us a lot. But it is not clear that anything Trump did was not rational given what the government knew.

The outcome should be that we fight this one through and then analyze and do what we can to avoid it happening again. And Trump and others have ownership of a part of this. We were not properly prepared and did not get on top of the virus in an appropriate period.

And the world owns a good bit of this as well. If the Chinese had gotten on top of this quicker and shut down Wuhan the pandemic might well have been stopped early.
My, my. If you took off your partisan blinders, the very criticism that you apply to some on the right could be applied to some on the left, who attack President Trump for name calling, yet call names themselves. Your inability to see this and touch on it--while only finding fault among those on the right for this--makes you lose credibility. You can say the "response was blown by everyone," but when you specifically only call out President Trump and attack those on the right, your true colors show.

You attack President Trump for not refusing entry of American citizens who were in China in January (what was he supposed to do?? They have a right of abode in the US), but ignore the fact that Democrats were against the closing of flights period; they called it xenophobic and racist and premature.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:16 PM

4,917 posts, read 2,063,394 times
Pelosi and her crew are pizzed-off cuz Trump did more than the Democrats did and up front leading in this crisis... Wait!! Didn’t Pelosi and dang near all Democrats call Trump a racist for stopping flights from China and Iran?? Now it’s a fact by him doing this, he has effectively controlled the amount of infected foreigners coming into the country.

Now, every single developed and semi-developed country in the world are doing this.

Wait!! Didn’t the media spend precious days calling Trump a racist for call this virus a “Chinese virus” instead of reporting on the facts and not doing their best to scare Americans?

I don’t care wait half of America does anymore, cuz I sticking with Trump’s plan. Seriously, what it the Democrat’s plan??

I know and does half of America... Their plan is to do nothing and blame others while more and more Americans die.

Pelosi needs to get real cuz simply attempting to blame Trump for everything isn’t working. Btw, if Pelosi was sooooooo. freaking effective as a leader, why is California in a bigger mess than say, Texas?

Trump isn’t perfect, but at least he’s making hard decisions... Instead of talking and doing nothing... Far more than the Democrats and many career Republicans.

P.S., They know their “standard bearer,” Biden, is in serious trouble... Cuz, he’s going by their standard play book... Do nothing and blame others. Well, that’s not going to work this time.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,366,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
My, my. If you took off your partisan blinders, the very criticism that you apply to some on the right could be applied to some on the left, who attack President Trump for name calling, yet call names themselves. Your inability to see this and touch on it--while only finding fault among those on the right for this--makes you lose credibility. You can say the "response was blown by everyone," but when you specifically only call out President Trump and attack those on the right, your true colors show.

You attack President Trump for not refusing entry of American citizens who were in China in January (what was he supposed to do?? They have a right of abode in the US), but ignore the fact that Democrats were against the closing of flights period; they called it xenophobic and racist and premature.
I am responding in the light of this thread. Please point out to me where the leftys calling Trump names are located. I would prefer that all sides stop the practice. Some may not like Trump but he is our President. And Nancy is similar - the third in line for the Presidency and a very senior government official.

Stop making garbage up. I in no way attacked Trump. Flat out lie. I suggested what he did was rational given the views in the government. If Trump had the true picture he would have quarantined all arrivals from China. And in a couple of weeks it would have been very clear it was needed.

Poor people of the right apparently surrender the ability to think when they sign up.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:22 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,079,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
I would have listened to my intelligence community and taken proactive steps way back in January. I would have made sure we had the PPE, ventilators, masks, test kits, etc. that we all needed. I would have done what other countries have done like S. Korea and tested everybody and then isolated where it was needed. I would have made sure everybody, everybody had a mask. I would have listened to my healthcare experts, not dismiss what they were saying because maybe my re-election chances might not look so good. I would NOT have downplayed it, saying it was just one person in China, saying that it will disappear like a miracle, saying we need to get back to work because we don't want the cure to be worse than the problem. I also would have done everything I could to help arm the healthcare workers, hospitals, doctors, etc. to get them through this, instead of saying, we need to get the country open by Easter! Everybody fill the churches. Give me a break.
South Korea has a population of 51 million and it is approximately the size of Indiana. Furthermore, their culture is very different to American culture.

The US has a population of 331 million and is 99 times bigger than South Korea. The US has a much more independent culture.

So I'm curious as to how the US could be expected to test "everyone" and supply masks to "everyone". How exactly would you have made that happen? There would be people here who would absolutely refuse to get tested, especially if they were asymptomatic or not ill. And how would you time testing to the emergence of the disease?

Regarding the getting back to work and that it would be nice to see churches filled on Easter, that seemed to me to be the President expressing his hope that things could turn around quickly. There is nothing wrong with giving people hope. Are we supposed to tell everyone that they will be quarantined until July? Talk about creating a panic!

There are very real costs to this shutdown...costs to people's livelihoods, costs to people's mental health, costs that we haven't even realized yet.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:27 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Truth is despicable? Trump lied and squandered precious time that belonged to the American people.
Hey, armchair quarterback, we're still waiting to hear what you would have done differently. Just keep in mind that China tried to hide the severity of this virus, thus causing the world to lose precious time.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:31 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,551,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOS2IAD View Post
Hey, armchair quarterback, we're still waiting to hear what you would have done differently. Just keep in mind that China tried to hide the severity of this virus, thus causing the world to lose precious time.

Agreed.

Old 03-29-2020, 12:34 PM

22,482 posts, read 12,022,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trobesmom View Post
Trump has been trying to play catch up for months. It's not working. But you're right, the response has been as good as could possibly be expected from someone who is inept.

And what would you have done better, armchair quarterback? Keep in mind that this is a "novel" virus meaning it has never been seen before. Also, keep in mind that the Chinese hid the severity of it when it first appeared. With that in mind, give us in great detail just what you would have done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies