Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2020, 08:09 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's not just about age or health.

People with blood type A have been shown to not only be much more prone to contracting the disease, but also exhibit much more severe symptoms.

A high percentage of Americans have blood type A (including most people I know). Blood type B (which I have) is at a slightly elevated risk. In this case, blood type O's will be best off.

All the running and salads in the world won't change anyone's blood type. At some point it's imperative to recognize that some things are beyond people's control.

What *is* largely within our control is our willingness to adhere to social distancing recommendations to minimize the spread.
Wonder if the U.S. is tracking the symptoms and outcomes based on blood type. Curious to see if their findings would mirror those from the Chinese study.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2020, 08:11 PM

72,965 posts, read 62,547,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The 1918 flu most likely started in rural Kansas, where a doctor was the first to report it. A farmer's got pigs, chickens, visiting wild ducks and geese, mud, unsanitary conditions. Ideal conditions for a virus to make the jump from critter to people.

It's not a China thing. It's a human-and-animals thing. It can happen anywhere.
Consider this. Cholera came from India.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:17 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,680,578 times
The earth contains more virus by weight than all of the living animals and humans on this earth. The planet is full of viruses. What we need to do for survival is to find and research all viruses on earth and categorize them which we do based on how they live, adapt, survive, and how they transmit. Then we can develop remedies to stop them from killing us.

To say that one virus is caused by certain people is like saying that AIDs was started by gay people. It's absolutely ridiculous. There's just not enough government investment into vaccines and research. Bill Gates Foundation is one of the few private charities that are investing in this for the greater good of humanity.

We are fortunate that COVID-19 only kills less than 5% of the victims so far.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:19 PM

15,064 posts, read 6,166,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
The 1918 flu most likely started in rural Kansas, where a doctor was the first to report it. A farmer's got pigs, chickens, visiting wild ducks and geese, mud, unsanitary conditions. Ideal conditions for a virus to make the jump from critter to people.

It's not a China thing. It's a human-and-animals thing. It can happen anywhere.
Exactly. The history of these viruses shows that.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:24 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
The earth contains more virus by weight than all of the living animals and humans on this earth. The planet is full of viruses. What we need to do for survival is to find and research all viruses on earth and categorize them which we do based on how they live, adapt, survive, and how they transmit. Then we can develop remedies to stop them from killing us.

To say that one virus is caused by certain people is like saying that AIDs was started by gay people. It's absolutely ridiculous. There's just not enough government investment into vaccines and research. Bill Gates Foundation is one of the few private charities that are investing in this for the greater good of humanity.

We are fortunate that COVID-19 only kills less than 5% of the victims so far.
Not really true. We know that AIDS came from someone who ate bushmeat in the late 50s or early 60s, IIRC. We can trace faster now, and given the cluster in Wuhan, we know it came from a wet market, not unlike SARS, etc. it’s a pattern. It’s not blaming a people - they’re a billion strong and hungry - it’s about holding their government to account. The worry is that the next AIDS or Ebola could evolve from just such a setting. It might pop out from elsewhere, but China seems to be a proven Petri dish for new stuff to emerge from, and we’d be dumb to not pressure them into some fresh reforms. I think the momentum would favor that once this dies down a bit more.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:25 PM

5,450 posts, read 8,758,479 times
Op, in the article gives the number one reason why most start there. Lack of hygiene. It’s spread to others that don’t wash their hands enough, etc.

A vast majority of those that do not get this virus or the others, even living in epicenters will be vigilant hand washers.

It’s the best way to avoid it.

Old 03-29-2020, 08:27 PM

23,842 posts, read 24,087,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I'd say American culture is more of a problem.

We shouldn't have mass quantities of people dying from diseases like this.

A strong immune system will easily beat this type of virus.

Unfortunately we have a culture of lazy slobs that do not eat healthy, do not exercise, and don't do most of the easy daily things that help to build up strong health and vitality.
And the Brits? Are they lazy slobs, too?

21-year-old woman with ‘no underlying health conditions’ dies of coronavirus

Old 03-29-2020, 08:41 PM

3,354 posts, read 1,182,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
It's not just about age or health.

People with blood type A have been shown to not only be much more prone to contracting the disease, but also exhibit much more severe symptoms.

A high percentage of Americans have blood type A (including most people I know). Blood type B (which I have) is at a slightly elevated risk. In this case, blood type O's will be best off.

All the running and salads in the world won't change anyone's blood type. At some point it's imperative to recognize that some things are beyond people's control.

What *is* largely within our control is our willingness to adhere to social distancing recommendations to minimize the spread.
Thought I was O- but turns out I'm O positive. Doubtful that I'm best off with all the ailments, including respiratory. I say it's all out of my control despite social distancing, lockdowns, masks, gloves, you name it.

I will also say the issue can't lie solely on China or anyone else when the entirety of American culture boasts its lack of caution and will take every opportunity to cluster people almost on top of each other just for the sake of packing in a many live bodies as you can.

It's once again just another case of consequences.

Old 03-29-2020, 09:08 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atltechdude View Post
I respectfully disagree.

Today roughly 40% of Americans are obese. That is pathetic. That's almost triple the percentage that were obese a few decades ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obesit..._United_States

Obese patients are succumbing more from covid-19, according to doctors I've seen interviewed on the news, which is not surprising at all to someone who understands what that does to the overall health of the body.
I agree we should be more proactive on health. I need to get healthy again I just work a mentally and emotionally draining job.That I don't do physical labor during. I can't tell you how many days I WANT to work out but can't because I'm drained so I skip it. I don't want to skip but I'm so mentally and emotionally drained, I'm physically drained as a result. Didn't help the stress my family went through the last year.

My point is that as a nation the US fell asleep at the wheel on Covid-19. We waited too long to try and flatten the curve. We treated it like it was SARS, MERS and Ebola. Obama said we need to be proactive towards the end of.his presidency. Four years after, he was proven right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
They don't happen here unless it was transported in from elsewhere, or from some diseased animal.
Yes it don't typically but this spread while others haven't in the US. Usually it is and we sit around ignorant until it is too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
Not really true. We know that AIDS came from someone who ate bushmeat in the late 50s or early 60s, IIRC. We can trace faster now, and given the cluster in Wuhan, we know it came from a wet market, not unlike SARS, etc. it’s a pattern. It’s not blaming a people - they’re a billion strong and hungry - it’s about holding their government to account. The worry is that the next AIDS or Ebola could evolve from just such a setting. It might pop out from elsewhere, but China seems to be a proven Petri dish for new stuff to emerge from, and we’d be dumb to not pressure them into some fresh reforms. I think the momentum would favor that once this dies down a bit more.
The problem isn't wet marts, the problem is keeping living animals out. A lot of problems with wet marts is live animals infecting dead animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
I'm sure they'll think that too...

Old 03-29-2020, 09:13 PM

8,475 posts, read 4,722,080 times
Ok, fine. Keeping animals out. Whatever it is, China is saddling a lot of the world with a lot of new pathogens. Still need to hold their government’s feet to the fire. It’s up to them to keep their people fed while tamping this crap down. Enough is enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies